1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General iPod to Android

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Fluffer, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Fluffer

Fluffer Newbie
    None

May 19, 2011
    I'm just about to make the leap from iOS and wanted to hear from anyone who's left the comfort of iPod on iPhone and how they're finding music on Android.

I love the iPod function of my 3GS and am concerned that something like Power Amp won't be as fulfilling?

Advertisement

2. Irate

Irate Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 25, 2011
    the s2 is an aweaome phone i would reccomend but the music experience is not as fine tuned as the ipod. there are a lot of music apps on android it will just take time to find the best one for you

• pc intergration is poor. syncing music via samsungs kies is a no go however there are alternatives available on the market
    • some music files are not recognised fully so artist name etc are not displayed

but hopefully some updates can fix these issues but until then keep your ipod

3. VegasTouch

VegasTouch Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    I transferred all my iTunes music over using Double Twist and there are other programs too. Then you get the Album art App in the market and it automatically loads the covers if you need them.
    After that i just drag other songs into my Micro card and if i have to, make a folder if it is a different artist and drag in songs in there.
    PowerAmp is awesome and the music sounds great imo.

4. daivik

daivik Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    After a little work at the beginning such as getting MediaFix, Album Art Grabber and a good itunes sync. (I recommend AirSync + DoubleTwist)

MediaFix - Auto searches and fixes the ID3 Tags (the album/artist/info of the music)

Album Art Grabber - Self explanatory. :p

AirSync - Basically iOS5's wireless sync function. DoubleTwist (on PC) hooks to your iTunes and every time it's open, updates the DoubleTwist library. This then wirelessly syncs your music, videos and photos to you phone. It does cost, but it's not much (and coming from iOS, that won't be a problem) :p

But if you want to try, DoubleTwist is free, but you have to connect through PC to sync. The paid bit is for the wifi-sync. :)

5. Genetic

Genetic Guest
    None
    ^ ive also seen isyncr which syncs with itunes. any difference between this and airsync/doubletwist?

6. daivik

None

Apr 19, 2010
    Doubletwist is free and allows seamless syncing of itunes music, videos and pictures and playlist via a cable. Airsync allows seamless syncing over wifi. WELL worth £3.

7. daz_2000

daz_2000 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    London, UK
    Isyncr is better. But only syncs playlists.

Just create a new playlist and dump all the songs/albums you want.

8. Genetic

Genetic Guest
    None
    doesnt doubletwist only sync playlists as well? sry for the questions, ill be switching over pretty soon since ive really started to hate apple. the only thing im worried about is all of my music on itunes. thank god there is a way to sync it though. i was looking into winamp or poweramp as my main music player since i heard the default player isnt that great. purchasing apps arent an issue for me as long as they are useful

9. daivik

None

Apr 19, 2010
    GOOD MAN. :p

I can confirm, doubletwist or airsync, reads my itunes playlists and music and will copy them over to my device. It does it love, so if i add anew song. That new song will appear in my double twist library (on pc) within a minute or so. Ready to be synced.

10. Genetic

Genetic Guest
    None
    rofl, figured this forum would welcome my hatred for apple. anyway, so let me see if i understand this correctly. airsync is seperate from doubletwist, and doubletwist is just the player for the phone. so i can just grab airsync (or isyncr, w/e) and use poweramp or winamp? once i sync my music i can just tell whatever player app i am using to use a specific folder for my music? if im wrong, please correct me, lmao.

feels weird being a nooby. i know the iphone/ios/jailbreaking like the back of my hand :(

11. daivik

None

Apr 19, 2010
    Not everyone is as welcoming...I'm just someone who REALLY, REALLY, REALLY disagrees with Apple's business ethic and Apple's whole philosophy - Not really the right word, but that's all I can think of right now.

And about the syncing.

I haven't been clear. :p Doubletwist is a PC app. This auto-syncs your iTunes library, live. So you add a new song, doubletwist-pc will auto-update itself with your latest playlist and song. You could use doubletwist as an alternative to iTunes, if you wanted.

Then there is doubletwist for Android. This is a media player that will sync up with your pc. For me it works seamlessly, and recognises the device faster than iTunes does my iPod Touch. So you connect the cable and hit sync on doubletwist-PC, and your music, videos and photos will transfer/update your device. Once they're one, you can use any number of music players - the joy of Android.

Okay AirSync. I think it's

12. Genetic

Genetic Guest
    None
    ok perfect, now i understand. thanks. and why do i hate apple? they are soul-less bastards. the way they run things and how they go about basically telling you what you can and cannot do on your own device you paid for is ridiculous. im also fed up with having to actually hack my device in order to get what i want out of it. then theres the problems with updating apps in cydia (jailbreak app store) . im always afraid to update ANYTHING because half the time something breaks your phone causing you to restore, and that's just a pain in the ass. when the first 3g iphone came out i loved it, but the updates have gotten worse and worse over the years and apple hasnt added anything really useful in some time. when i heard about the galaxy s2 it definitely sparked my interest. so i waited to see what iOS5 brought to the table before i made my decision about switching. basically, it brought complete crap and nothing special. i was never an apple fanboy but for awhile the iphone has been the best phone (hardware wise of course) so i pretty much stuck with that. im also the type of person to just stick with what i know and not really care about anything else, so i havent really started reading into android up until 2 weeks ago when ios5 was announced. i really REALLY want ATT to release there phone so i can actually buy and use it. im extremely tech savy so it wont take long for me to get used to it.

now i know this thread is about music/video but what about syncing/backing up pictures, contacts, settings, music, texts etc etc etc. im just so used to hitting "backup" on itunes and having it all do it for me, but im sure there are ways to backup all that with an app of some kind. i know of google being able to do that but i dont use gmail. i basically know everything about computers/electronics/tech in general but im absolutely clueless when it comes to android, baha. im learning though, and im quick at it so it wont be a problem. ive been doing ALOT of reading lately too.

13. VegasTouch

None

Jul 8, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    Since you are a jailbreaker, rooting your phone wont be a problem. Especially with Samsung. With your phone rooted, there is an App called Titanium backup in the market and you can backup all your userapps with it and the data for them just in case you need another phone (if you buy the pro version, any phone you get will be tied to it from your Google account).

I put my music on my micro card so there is no need to back it up. Your contacts if you set them to be syced with your Google acct, you wont need to back that up either. You will need to get a Google account to use the Market.
    Ive never backed up my texts. I actually erase conversations in my texts and ive used custom ROMs that wipes them out so i never cared if i lose texts so im not big on backing that up but im sure there is a way. Ive just never looked.

14. Genetic

Genetic Guest
    None
    one reason i was switching was so i wouldnt have to hack/root my phone. is that really the only way to backup my data?

and oh perfect, ill definitely be putting my music on my SD card then (planning to grab a class 10 32gb microsd) and setting up google for my contacts. so now ill just need to find something thatll back up settings/photos/apps? backing up texts isnt really needed, id just like to have it. im weird with my texts, i just like to have them. dont ask why because i really have no idea :p

15. VegasTouch

None

Jul 8, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    Rooting isnt really hacking. It does nothing to the phone but give you superuser permissions to get into your files. Your changing nothing but that. Its like your the Admin of your own phone without having to SSH into it like iPhone. And with that, you can use some other Apps you otherwise wouldnt be able to. Like Titanium backup, ROM Manager (for using Custom ROM's, Modems, bootup anims, shutdown anims, remove the bloatware, etc) and Shootme...which allows you to take screenshots like iPhone does.

If you Root your phone and do nothing else, you wouldnt notice a difference. You can unroot anytime you want and it wont change anything but take permissions away.

As for photos, ive used several different ROMs and everytime ive done that, my photos were still there on the phone. Maybe because i backed up the Gallery on Titanium backup. Muist be some apps in the market for that though by now.

Not sure they make a class 10 32GB micro card yet, but you really dont need a class 10. I have a class 4 and it plays the music and everything else fine. Highest ive seen a microcard is a class 6 but i havent been looking lately. Just saving you some money you dont need to spend but of course, thats up to you. They are cheaper than last year this time which was about $100 for a 32GB.

16. Genetic

Genetic Guest
    None
    is there a website you suggest for reading a tutorial/tips/apps etc on rooting a phone? or samsung galaxy s2 specifically.

17. VegasTouch

None

Jul 8, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    I go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/Just scroll down & find your phone and read up. There are several diferent type of phones with their own forum...even iPhone.

18. Genetic

Genetic Guest
    None
    thanks, ill look into it.

19. Genetic

Genetic Guest
    None
    just found this: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackupPro&feature=search_result

while it does look interesting im really trying to stay away from that type of stuff now. id rather just have it stock and play with whatever i can access. maybe eventually ill root and check it out, :p . thanks though

and yea you are correct, they are quite expensive. heres a class 10 32gb for 90 bucks Newegg.com - Patriot LX Series Class 10 32GB Micro SDHC Flash Card Model PSF32GMCSDHC10 (32GB) . a little expensive, but i do have alot of music, and would like to have extra space. ill hopefully have a little money leftover after selling my iphone anyway.

edit: ah crap, pressed reply and not edit. sry for double post.

20. daivik

None

Apr 19, 2010
    FOR THOSE ASKING ABOUT A BACKUP.

There are apps on the market, but Kies does it. I know the experience varies (but I have had no problems, I'm on Win7 - my brother's Kies has problems and he's on Vista - so that could be why?)

But on Kies you can do a complete backup of everything. For me, videos and music are unimportant, I can put them back on. My contacts are backed up and so I've just got a backup of my settings, bookmarks etc.

On Kies you just tick, the tick-boxes on what you want to back up. Simples.

21. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    Yorkshire
    Does Kies really backup everything?

If you wipe your phone, reflash with a stock ROM and then restore from Kies, will your phone be exactly as it was at the point the backup was taken?

22. daivik

None

Apr 19, 2010
    Don't know much about rooting, but I assume so. Kies backs up:
    Contacts - only local (google/exchange/facebook contacts are excluded)
    Calendar and To Do
    Call Log
    Music
    Photo
    Videos
    Miscellaneous content files
    Preference and ringtones
    Network settings and book marks
    Email account information.

23. TobesEtc

TobesEtc Android Enthusiast
    None

May 12, 2010
    MD of software co.
    London, UK
    On the rotten-Apple front, I've spent the weekend (well, my PC has) using dBPowerAmp to convert all my Apple Lossless music (c10,000 tracks) into mp3 so that SGS2 recognises it all correctly. I can now delete all the Appl-files, iTunes etc from my PC.

I'll eventually get around to redoing this into FLAC as I've realised that with a change of file-name format (which dBPowerAmp will automate) I can use that format and have the Galaxy work perfectly, too.

It is a shame that Spotify doesn't recognise FLAC because the Premium version actually has a very nice Android phone sync capability.

24. xmjox

xmjox Well-Known Member
    None

Can someone who uses DoubleTwist confirm whether it ONLY syncs playlists? I'd like to have an app that syncs my iTunes library as I don't like playlists.

25. daivik

None

Apr 19, 2010
    Only does playlists, but you can select the "All music" option. However a simple work-around is to simply have a playlist with all your music in it. Or just top rate, everything you import/buy and that way, doubletwist will see that playlist as "Top Rated" and it will have all the music you want.

xmjox likes this.