1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

IRC over 4G

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Tosa90, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Tosa90

Tosa90 Well-Known Member

So I'm loving my Bionic so far. Hard not to like it coming fro man OG Droid.

Only problem I seem to have is getting IRC to connect. I use Freenode and I can not get it to connect.

I can connect just fine using WiFi, but as soon as I leave WiFi it stops working.

Won't even connect over 4G.

Any ideas? Or is Verizon blocking IRC on the 4G network?

Advertisement

2. LrdAnkh

LrdAnkh Well-Known Member

I installed Freenode after i saw your post because i needed an irc app and it is working fine for me.

3. VZWblocksIRC

VZWblocksIRC Lurker

Verizon blocks IRC networks as it comes across them.

You might be able to sign on using a certain server they haven't blocked. For example, you might have to use kornbluth.freenode.net specifically instead of chat.freenode.net.

The fact that Verizon blocks you from joining IRC networks is a serious cause for concern.

4. billd

billd Well-Known Member

Why would they block IRC? Is IRC a source of a lot of bandwidth abuse? It seems like it would be a low bandwidth application.

5. Somniferum

Somniferum Android Enthusiast

I would like to know the answer to this as well.

If I had to guess, it might have to do with the fact that malware schemes often use IRC as a method of transmitting stolen data. The malware application surreptitiously connects to IRC and transmits your data to a bot that's connected there.

If that's the reason it's a lousy one, because any internet service can be abused for nefarious purposes.

IRC is also used by some as a filesharing service, which could cause a bandwidth issue. But again, other internet services can be used for the same thing (BitTorrent for instance). And not all filesharing is illicit.

Does anyone have first-hand information?