• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is 2.1 worth the agro?

Isn't that just like switching on 2G ?.

'GSM Only' limits you to 2G, and apparently 'GSM auto (PRL)' works with 3G/HSDPA. But importantly I haven't had mobile internet activated since switching to GSM Only and I've still seen quite a massive difference in battery life.

EDIT: Yeah 'GSM auto (PRL)' gives me HSDPA speeds, and apparently still saves battery power compared to the default setting in 2.1 ROMs.

Upvote 0
Back on 3.2 Modaco, the gps reliability was a real issue.
Well after a virgin week of flashing rooting etc etc 2.1 sense hero 5.3 villain and one other I can't remember and today went onto modaco 3.2 what a difference in speed I love my phone again, fair play to all the guys working on these and thanks but think I will wait for the official one. : )

Upvote 0
was using villain 5.3 and getting a little fed up with slow response, freezing etc. given feedback on 5.4 was not even interested in going that way. was about the revert to modaco 3.2 when I tried sensehero 2.2 - really glad I did, excellent response speeds, no silly battery drain, no drawbacks that I have discovered yet.

Upvote 0
Have finally settled on the sensehero v2.2 rom after trying a few different ones over the last week.

Everything seems fine except the split sms issue and no voicemail notification. Everything else, MMS, GPS, Facebook, Friendstream etc... is fine. Think ill stick with this one until either HTC release theirs or someone releases a rom that fixes my two minor gripes.

Upvote 0
tojjer said:
I knew I shouldn't have read this tonight !

So then, if I wanna try this sense2.2, what do I have to wipe ( or not ) to be able to flash that rom ?
I wanna do a nandroid backup of where I am now with 5.3 in case I wanna come back to it.

Thanks

Do a nandroid backup, or nandroid + ext backup if you use apps2sd

Xtiro said:
Do a factory reset, wipe the dalvik cache and wipe the Ext partiton of your SD card if you have one.

Then flash :)

Reactions: tojjer
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones