• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is 2.3.6 Able to Root, Any Issues

I am rooted on 2.3.6 no problems what so ever
Running Unnamed 2.2.1 rom as of today
SC20120102-235235.png

Upvote 0
How to Root AT&T Galaxy S2! [SGH-I777] after having updated to 2.3.6

I updated to 2.3.6 and then tried to root. After much research found that you must go back to 2.3.4 to be able to root with Superoneclick. To do this go to the following link and follow the instructions there. It comes with video and everything you need to know.

How to Root AT&T Galaxy S2! [SGH-I777] | Galaxy S2 Root

Essentially you are reinstalling 2.3.4 and you lose no data in the process. Do back up anyway.

After using this method, you are back to 2.3.4 and now use Superoneclick and it works perfectly. By the way from everything Ive read about 2.3.6 you really don't want to go back to it.

This whole process takes no more than 10 minutes.

Upvote 0
i wouldnt recomend zedomax on 2.3.6 as when i tried it i lost my wifi and ended up bricking my phone, i have now unbricked my phone and rerooted it to zedomax and still have no wifi im currently it the prossed of flashing a custom ics rom that should give me wifi back,i will post links if this works until then i wouldnt root unless you dont use wifi or have other motives for rooting your phone,ive heard the wifi problem only affects att galaxy s2 running 2.3.6 soo any other carriers should be gravy(from what i hear)

Upvote 0
This video seems to detail the steps pretty well:

Tutorial How To Root AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 Android 2.3.6

Looks like a 2-step process. Use Odin to install the ZedoMax kernel, then install another kernel to get wifi working again. Not exactly one-click, but looks pretty straight forward. I'll try it once I get the download link they mention for GalaxyS2ATTRootZedomax.zip to work.

Reactions: ropo1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones