• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is 4GB enough?

Yep, correct. Last I counted there were likely quite a few partitions:

The 4 GB eMMC is the ROM. All phone ROMs are flash, they simply decided to stand up and call it by a proper name after more than a decade of abusing the word, ROM.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/346198-htc-evo-3d-dummies-2.html#post2776843

The 3vo has - if you prefer - 4 GB of ROM (eMMC type) - or 4 GB eMMC - or 4 GB internal storage --- and 1 GB RAM.

The 4 GB on this phone will partitioned into areas for: bootloader (HBOOT), NV and PRI partitions, wimax, radio, and then the large area for Android+installed apps (rooters call this last collection of software a rom as if there isn't enough confusion on this); it may optionally contain a reserved, blank area for update expansion of any of the previous areas. IOW, the 4 GB will divide into 6 (or optionally by HTC, 7) areas; same as the Evo or the Shift.

In addition to the 1 GB RAM and 4 GB eMMC (ROM if you like), it will also have the traditional microSD card (also flash memory).

And as careful as I tried to be in that post, given that there are "rom" (as most people call it) partitions for /system, /data/, and /cache the count is higher than I suggested.

The tools can really only see so far.

The 1.1 GB is for the /data partition and your user-installed add-on apps go into the /data/app area.

Elixir will show you the /data and /cache partitions - but it won't add up to 4GB for reasons I've noted here.

By the way - merging this with the existing thread.

Upvote 0
OK, so I'm replying to this after several months this thread laying dormant. I am currently deciding if I want to upgrade my EVO 4G to an iPhone 4S, or an EVO 3D. I'm not looking for any Apple bashing here, just some good solid advice. As to the iPhone, I would have gotten one when it was initially released back in 2007 as I have a Mac and they would seamlessly integrate together, but as a loyal Sprint customer, I wanted to wait until it came to Sprint. While I was waiting, the Android platform was released and I ended up buying the HTC Hero and then the EVO 4G. I love the Android platform and the HTC Sense, but also still have an affinity for all things Apple.
I know that the EVO 3D has a larger screen and a faster processor, not to mention 4G speeds, but the one major drawback I see is internal space. I can get 8+ gigs of internal space on an iPhone 4S and only 1.1 gigs of useable space on the EVO 3D. I mention this because this past June, my EVO 4G was given the push notification to upgrade to Gingerbread, which I did happily. As soon as I had upgraded (my fault for not investigating the size of the Gingerbread download), my phone began to run out of storage space. I have a 16 gig SD card installed and had moved over whatever apps I could regularly when downloading them, but the phone was full. I ended up deleting many apps from the phone (even purchased ones) to try and save space. It didn't help and eventually I stopped even being able to send text messages. I ended up taking the phone to a Sprint store and they performed a factory re-set on the phone. At that point I was very careful in what apps I reinstalled on the phone so as I wouldn't have the problem again. There are quite a few I have yet to re-download, even though I love them, because of their size. Well, recently I have started to get the "Low on Space" message again on my EVO 4G and am concerned that I will run into the same problem if I get the 3D. Have any 3D owners experienced the "Low on Space" problem? And is the 1.1 gigs of space completely partitioned away from the system software so it won't be affected by any future updates? Was the 4G like that, and does anyone know how much space is available for apps on the 4G? Also I thought I had read somewhere that you can now delete bloatware from the 3D. Is this true?
Thanks for any assistance anyone can give...

Upvote 0
Have any 3D owners experienced the "Low on Space" problem? And is the 1.1 gigs of space completely partitioned away from the system software so it won't be affected by any future updates? Was the 4G like that, and does anyone know how much space is available for apps on the 4G? Also I thought I had read somewhere that you can now delete bloatware from the 3D. Is this true?
Thanks for any assistance anyone can give...

I have yet to run into the low on space problem. Either way you're getting a good phone. I prefer the Android experience as opposed to the iOS one that my other family members have had. If space is an issue, look into getting a 32GB SD card or even a 64GB (I think the 64GB have been confirmed working) those will be the same price difference or less as getting an iPhone with larger memory.

Yes you can delete almost all the bloatware. You can root and delete even more if you need to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones