• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is a forward button possible

Would it be possible to add a "Forward" button? For instance say I'm in the (for lack of being able to think of another app), but I'm in the Amazon app, on page 8 and I accidentally click the "Back" button, going back to page 7. but I need to go back to page 8, I need a "Forward" button to return to page 8. The back button will take you back to page 6. As it is, I have find the link I used to go to page 8.

Does my explanation make sense? I can try to do a better job if needed.

I know how you feel.

I also use cheap devices with limited space available.

Even if you do not, this may help you.

Ditch the apps, and use your browser instead.

A good, secure browser- such as Lightning Browser- allows for a 'forward' button in the tabs section.

Allow the browser to open new pages in new tabs.

That way each page is on its own tab, and can be easily reached at your will.

Another benefit is the much better security that the browser can afford you rather than the app.
(Cookies, advertisements, tracking, etc., can all be blocked/controlled with the browser. Generally, apps like Amazon and the rest either don't allow you any control, or very limited control at best.)

Lightning (Lightweight web browser) - https://f-droid.org/packages/acr.browser.lightning

There are other varients of this browser available (I suggest using F-Droid as a source) that have slight differences that you may enjoy.

The link above is from the original developer.

Let me know if you need any assistance with it.
I have used it for years.

I have not found any browser to be faster or more simple to use.

The security features are great, too.

Upvote 0
Ok, I don't guess I made myself clear enough, but I'm talking about beyond just an app or web-browser. Let's say I'm in OneDrive, and my hands that shake bad accidentally hits the back button, and I don't remember what folder I was just in. Or the PlayStore, and I'm about 6 or 7 links into chasing the elusive app I need, when again, I accidentally hit the back button, and because I was distracted I don't remember which link I had last chosen, but I did see what should be the perfect app, just being able to hit a forward button would be great. Again, in the settings app, I finally see the setting I'm looking for, but backup unintentionally, and after almost 30 minutes looking for that setting, I'm so frustrated that I was just punching links, so I don't know what I chose last. Then there's all the menu's in Bixby, and ending up in the same position. I have had all of this happen in all these apps and more, and when I say "apps" I mean programs that do specific jobs within android that is a built in function of android, not necessarily what you would go to the PlayStore to get.

I figure I'm one of maybe 5 people in the world that needs this, and don't expect android to add it just for me, I just wanted to put the idea in the heads of the people responsible for making those decisions, so maybe just maybe I'll get lucky.

Upvote 0
Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
Ok, I don't guess I made myself clear enough, but I'm talking about beyond just an app or web-browser. Let's say I'm in OneDrive, and my hands that shake bad accidentally hits the back button, and I don't remember what folder I was just in. Or the PlayStore, and I'm about 6 or 7 links into chasing the elusive app I need, when again, I accidentally hit the back button, and because I was distracted I don't remember which link I had last chosen, but I did see what should be the perfect app, just being able to hit a forward button would be great. Again, in the settings app, I finally see the setting I'm looking for, but backup unintentionally, and after almost 30 minutes looking for that setting, I'm so frustrated that I was just punching links, so I don't know what I chose last. Then there's all the menu's in Bixby, and ending up in the same position. I have had all of this happen in all these apps and more, and when I say "apps" I mean programs that do specific jobs within android that is a built in function of android, not necessarily what you would go to the PlayStore to get.

I figure I'm one of maybe 5 people in the world that needs this, and don't expect android to add it just for me, I just wanted to put the idea in the heads of the people responsible for making those decisions, so maybe just maybe I'll get lucky.

RE: Playstore, yeah it is bit easy when you get a hang of it, it is in the far left hand corner, just hit right and x. :)

Upvote 0
I may have found an unconventional way to 'fix' this for you!

I recently purchased a bluetooth keyboard for use with my Android devices, for about $20.

Funny enough, guess what it has?
Forward and backwards buttons!

It is as simple as holding the 'Alt' button and then tapping the left (for backwards) or the right (for forward) arrow keys, lol.

Hey, I know it's a little late, but it really does work.

Maybe you are thinking, "I don't want to drag around a whole darn keyboard just for that!", and I can simpathize.

But the keyboard I got is a compact, folding design with a 40 hour continuous battery life (rechargeable with phone charger).

The whole thing when folded is not larger than some phones I have seen (maybe thicker, but oh well).

Upvote 0
I may have found an unconventional way to 'fix' this for you!

I recently purchased a bluetooth keyboard for use with my Android devices, for about $20.

Funny enough, guess what it has?
Forward and backwards buttons!

Thank You so much, this sounds like just what I need. I'm sure the bluetooth keyboard keys are bigger than the phone too. so that solves two problems. I do appreciate you thinking of me. I'll start researching keyboards now.

Upvote 0
The one I have is ONN brand, from Wa-Mart.
I like this portable one so much, that I am considering a standard sized keyboard for general use at home.

The costs are basically the same, but the full size keyboard does not have a built in rechargeable battery, so it is not able to be recharged via a phone charger.

It takes AAA size batteries, which I would want to use rechargeables in. Although I have a few extra AAA rechargeable batteries laying around, they are pretty old. Of course, I would probably want another charger to use if I were to purchase more rechargeable batteries.

Where I would purchase these batteries and another charger {Harbor Freight}, the batteries and the charger are about $8 each.

So the cost to power the keyboard will cost about the same as the keyboard itself, lol.

That is one reason that I am glad that I got the keyboard that I did, as it can be recharged via the same charger that the phone uses.

The only thing I can really complain about so far is the idea that the keyboar folds for easy portability.
This makes me worry about long term durability.

But other than that, it sure makes using my phone so much easier.
I can't get over just how much I missed having a 'normal' sized keyboard to communicate with! Even with my below average typing skills {sooooo out of practice!} and the odd feeling of the keyboard keys {Yes, I learned how to type on an IBM typewriter, which had a ball with all the characters that would go BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM against a sheet of paper} I can now type much more comfortably and quickly.

The keyboard that I got recently has model number of:

TAAKBB100015515

and comes from:

Weaforla Technology Co., LTD

At Wal-Mart, it is sold as:

add onn

Anyway, to better use this thing, I highly recommend a phone stand. There are various types around, but when I was purchasing the keyboard, a new one caught my eye.

This one is a desk mount- it doesn't really 'mount' to anything, it just has a weighted base and holds a phone/tablet up at an angle of the user's choice.

It is Premier brand, Home & Office Essentials.

Together, they literally making it seem like I am using an entirely different device- not kidding at all.

So the following are a few pics, showing what I am working with.
The phone is on the stand, and the keyboard is in front of it.
The stand that I used to use is on the top left of the pic.
Notice how much more ajustible the new one is.

The other pics are of the boxes that the keyboard and the stand came in, so that you can more easily identify them in the store.
IMG_20210304_121652.jpg
IMG_20210304_122319.jpg
IMG_20210304_122405.jpg

Reactions: contridiction
Upvote 0
{Yes, I learned how to type on an IBM typewriter, which had a ball with all the characters that would go BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM against a sheet of paper} I can now type much more comfortably and quickly.

The same thing I learned on, I hated those machines, they may have been electric, but those keys were so hard to press, my old manual at home was easier to use, and quiter too.

Thanks for the information, and the pics. I will have to check that out. I just remembered, and don't know why I didn't think of this earlier but several years ago, I got a phone, because it was advertised as you being able to use a blue tooth mouse with it. Which I thought was just great. Until I tried to use it. Talk about a phone dragging it's feet. It was so slow, it was useable, but you had to have patience. But anyway, thanks again you have been great. I really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
The same thing I learned on, I hated those machines, they may have been electric, but those keys were so hard to press, my old manual at home was easier to use, and quiter too.

Thanks for the information, and the pics. I will have to check that out. I just remembered, and don't know why I didn't think of this earlier but several years ago, I got a phone, because it was advertised as you being able to use a blue tooth mouse with it. Which I thought was just great. Until I tried to use it. Talk about a phone dragging it's feet. It was so slow, it was useable, but you had to have patience. But anyway, thanks again you have been great. I really appreciate it.

Actually, those old typewriters had what many {most} in my generation consider to be a 'proper' feel to the keys- it was uncannily similar to the even older versions where your finger had to exert enough pressure to raise an arm that smacked a character against the paper.

There has been literally millions of hours and dollars spent trying to make the 'deadpan' keyboards of today replicate this feel!

Even this supercheap version of a keyboard has a certain feel and click to each key, although for various reasons it still does not feel 'real' to me.
This causes me to miss letters, even though I know that I touched the key.
So I am still proofreading everything, and am astounded to find mistakes where I believe there should be none.

Anyway, back to the old IBM 'bamsters', lol, I was the only one that could actually fall aseep in class, lol.

I did not tell that teacher that I had already learned to type in a previous typing class in another school, and so I was allowed to take yet another typing class and get credit for it.
This allowed me to be the fastest student, with the most accuracy- and so my assignments were always done early.
As long as I was done and not bothering anyone else, I was allowed to sleep.
Bein able to sleep through anything has come in handy in later life, lol.

Upvote 0
Actually, those old typewriters had what many {most} in my generation consider to be a 'proper' feel to the keys- it was uncannily similar to the even older versions where your finger had to exert enough pressure to raise an arm that smacked a character against the paper.

Normally I wouldn't argue that, but you don't know how wore out our machines were. You could be typing away, and the back cover would fall off in the floor. The ball would 'jam" up, if that's possible. In other words they were not normal.

Upvote 0
Normally I wouldn't argue that, but you don't know how wore out our machines were. You could be typing away, and the back cover would fall off in the floor. The ball would 'jam" up, if that's possible. In other words they were not normal.

Oh, crap- that WAS normal.

In fact, we used to purposefully hit 10-20 keys all at once when class was over to jam it up, then turn it off.

Next person to turn it on had a jammed up noisy monster- or better yet the thing went off like a machine gun, lol!

Never had the backs fly off, ours were one piece tops over a chassis.

The whole thing must have weighed 60-80 lbs.

They were not messing around when they made those things- obviously meant to last multiple human lifetimes.

Ever take the ink ribbon out, flip it over, and reinstall it?

Yup, only half the ribbon got most of the use. Only special characters would have been on the part that you are now using for the main part.

Good Times!

Upvote 0
Ever take the ink ribbon out, flip it over, and reinstall it?

On this machine, yes. However, my manual at home, was a black ribbon, over a red ribbon, there was no flipping it over, I would have to completely rewind it, like you would an audio cassette, that had spit out the ribbon. It would take over an hour to rewind.

Upvote 0
On this machine, yes. However, my manual at home, was a black ribbon, over a red ribbon, there was no flipping it over, I would have to completely rewind it, like you would an audio cassette, that had spit out the ribbon. It would take over an hour to rewind.

Really over an hour?

Why not use the release, and leave the ribbon in place?
Pull the ribbon out of the thing that holds it close to the paper, then use your finger on top of the empty spool to spin it backwards to quickly rewind it?

Reactions: contridiction
Upvote 0
That was 1988/1989 my memory doesn't go that far back. But I want to say it wouldn't spin backwards, no release, I may be wrong, I just remember having to take it out and rewind it, and I want to say we always bought the XXL size so it was longer than most. Again I could be wrong about it. lol

Well, for sure there had to be some sort of ratchet mechanism to move the ribbon the correct amount (one character) and then it would lock down to hold the ribbon in place.

Pretty sure we just jammed it in the unlocked position with an ink pen, and then just spun the ribbon backwards off of the take up reel.

Pretty good results, too, at least the first time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones