• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is a fresh Windows 7hp install needed?

kb0sdq

Nov 12, 2011
Oldsmar,Fl
Howdy Folks,
I was wondering, I have been running win7 or two years now after I got this machine new I put a fresh instal of win7 in order to get rid of all the Asus bloatware. I ran crap cleaner and it cleaned up my drive. But do you think it would be better to do another fresh install?
Thanks in advance for any info
ciao,

Not really. I have a 465g hard drive and only have 104g left. Just figured I'd clean up all the old left behind files. But I guess c cleaner would get them.
This is a Asus g73jh laptop. And has been great since I bought it.

Ccleaner should get most junk files. You can also use Disk Cleanup. Keep in mind if you have many programs, music, videos, etc. those will take up lots of space.

Unless you're having issues there's no need to reinstall.

Reactions: kb0sdq
Upvote 0
I find a small program called,"Treesize" is really useful for checking file/folder sizes and things I may have overlooked that can be deleted,

JAM Software - Windows Freeware

I run a dual boot on this little Lenovo with Win7 Starter and WinxpPro as it runs much faster on the specs of this system.

I also use an excellent free program called,"EaseUS ToDo Backup",

Best free backup software and Norton Ghost alternative - EaseUS Todo Backup Free

to make a mirror image and a bootable flash drive to be able to restore the full system fast if I should need to.

HTH :)

Reactions: kb0sdq
Upvote 0
Just backup your data and run CCleaner and a decent defrag (Auslogics free defrag is way better IMO than the MS one) or, better, after backing up your data, zap windows for Linux with XFCE or LXDE desktops. Both are very lightweight in terms of resources and very tweakable. You don't need MS Offoce now that Libre Office is so mature and handles MS File formats (Probably) better than office can.

Upvote 0
If it's taking longer to boot you need to check what's included in startup. Windows Defender (if that's what it's called these days) has tools to help with that - you'll probably find masses of things auto-starting that you don't actually need.

You could also go through your services - there are probably lots that auto-start that could be switched to manual or even disabled.

Re disk space, if you have a bunch of old files - or even programs - you rarely use, compress them - you can even compress entire folders of stuff. I wouldn't compress the OS or things you use a lot but otherwise, it has a negligable affect on performance because HDDs are really slow so the time you gain reading less data generally more than offsets the time you lose un-compressing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones