1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is android home screen personalisation an art?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by boyo1991, Apr 1, 2014.

1. boyo1991

boyo1991 Android Enthusiast

Title says it all.. is it an art? Combining a specific launcher with specific icon packs with specific wallpapers and specific widgets and even specific icon layouts?

The reason I am thinking about this is after seeing a few postings of home screens on deviantart in the personalisation section I wonder if it constitutes as am at lol

Advertisement

Rxpert83 likes this.
  2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Id say yes it is. I know some people who just have a certain flair for making a screen look amazing, mixing their skills with using Zooper Widget (for example) and making their own custom wallpaper and then choosing or making the perfect icons to go with them.
    I have a lot of respect for the icon devs but i think certain users make an art out of making a beautiful homescreen :)

Rxpert83 likes this.
  3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

I bet I'm in the minority here :eek: I like looking through the "post your home screen" threads, but don't really get into it myself.

I've never changed my icon packs, and I generally stick with the stock wallpaper as well.

I only use nova because im not really into the new Google play launcher.

4. boyo1991

boyo1991 Android Enthusiast

Yeah this makes a lot of sense. I mean I always end up really liking my designs but I don't know if it would qualify as an art because of the icon and wallpaper devs as you stated. It also makes sense however though if you think in terms of such things as brushes in Photoshop. It's an art to just make them but it's equally an art to use them proficient. Imo.

5. funkylogik

Yup exactly that :)

6. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

I primarily make my screen look functional. I do prefer some type of symmetry, but sometimes it's not possible when I have 4 rows and a widget is 3 wide.

7. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

I look at some screenshots and think 'wow! that's great, I should try something like that' then look at my phone and think 'no, I really like what you've done there'. lol. I did change icons a while back and am 100% pleased with my boring screens :)

Is it art though? It is a creative process and so is art so...

8. 03bluecoupe

03bluecoupe Guest

I bet I'm in an even smaller minority. I run a grey background and only HIGHLY used function icons on my main "Home" screen. Chews up less batteries and I couldn't care less about some fancy graphic.

9. !on

!on Android Expert

Aye, I prefer the darker walls like the black carbon fibre effect, it's a good way of checking the light sensor settings without doing anything as you can just make out the pattern ;) & saves battery. I also like complimentary themes. But then I like black :)

10. Clementine_3

VIP Member

Me too, I have settled on a black/grayscale/platinum look and really like it. Just changed my wallpaper, using a nice pic of Enceladus (one of Saturn's moons), mostly black with an arc of the moon's edge. Looks sharp :)

11. funkylogik

Is that the tiny moon they just discovered liquid water on?
    Yeah dark WP save battery on an LED display but I'd say it's negligible for the amount of time you actually spend in the launcher same with live WP.
    I do prefer a dark background though :thumbup:

12. Clementine_3

VIP Member

Yup, same moon.
    I've had a dark background for a long time (had a gecko on it, yellow on black) and switched it up to the moon. I've used other moon shots too (ours), always fun. I use the platinum icon pack too. I know it does very little for battery, it just looks sweet. lol

funkylogik likes this.
  13. JIMV

JIMV Android Enthusiast

14. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

art is a way to express a person's expressions.
    then I would have to say...personalizing your homescreen = art

but does it qualify as "a work of art"?
    NO..i don't think so

15. 03bluecoupe

03bluecoupe Guest

I dunno, I think my background definitely classifies as art. :D

16. funkylogik

This is my current screen. Definately not art but i think it kinda shows how different android screens can look uploadfromtaptalk1396664103700.jpg

17. Clementine_3

VIP Member

That looks nice!

funkylogik likes this.
  18. davoid

davoid Android Expert

I also like black. And red...

[​IMG]

I couldn't find a clock widget I liked so I used Make Your Clock Widget and designed my own.

19. Clementine_3

VIP Member

I have Make Your Own Clock widget too, nice little widget maker. My old wallpaper had a red line on it just to add some pop. Can't go wrong with black and red!

20. funkylogik

I'm a zooper widget fan. Or digiclock widget if I'm feelin lazy. What are they icons mate?

21. davoid

davoid Android Expert

Stamped Holo Red

funkylogik likes this.
  22. funkylogik

Ahh I remember the stamped packs. Cheers mate :beer:

23. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert

i just kept the stock stuff on. using a stock live wallpaper, stock widgets. i don't need my phone to be all 'showy' anyway, i keep it in the pocket most of the time and use the Gear at work, less distracting, and i usually only use email and my book reader on the phone when it's in my hand. i hardly even see the home screen anymore. Multi-Window FTW!