• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is anyone else completely disinterested in the Atrix now?

I was absolutely BRIMMING with enthusiasm for this thing, but after AT&T thoroughly spent time ruining such an incredibly capable device (probably locked bootloader, no sideloading, laptop dock is an extraordinary price, data usage with the laptop dock is considered "tethering") I have completely lost interest.

Seriously, like none at all. Not even for just the phone itself. I'm just gonna idly bide my time until MWC. Oh well. :(

As soon as I heard that the dock requires tethering I was done. My contract is up in March. I'm going to let it run out now instead of upgrading. Need to reconsider AT&T. I feel insulted with these prices, like I dont even want to be associated with a company that thinks they can pull something like that.

Upvote 0
As soon as I heard that the dock requires tethering I was done. My contract is up in March. I'm going to let it run out now instead of upgrading. Need to reconsider AT&T. I feel insulted with these prices, like I dont even want to be associated with a company that thinks they can pull something like that.

do you think it would be different anywhere else cmon man. Sprint just added 10 dollars just because and verizon just announced throttling of data. They are here to make money.

Upvote 0
do you think it would be different anywhere else cmon man. Sprint just added 10 dollars just because and verizon just announced throttling of data. They are here to make money.

Sprint added $10 to their absolutely everything you need is unlimited plans. That's unlimited calls, unlimited texts, unlimited data, unlimited voice navigation, unlimited Sprint TV, etc. etc. Yes, they're in it to make money, but AT&T suffers from bad press and is about to lose their exclusivity to a competing Wireless Provider with a far higher public opinion. They could have not only weathered the Verizon iPhone storm with this product line, but taken over the market even more. I was all but ready to pay my ETF with Sprint (who I have had ZERO problems with) and jump ship for the Atrix. Not anymore.

Upvote 0
Sprint added $10 to their absolutely everything you need is unlimited plans. That's unlimited calls, unlimited texts, unlimited data, unlimited voice navigation, unlimited Sprint TV, etc. etc. Yes, they're in it to make money, but AT&T suffers from bad press and is about to lose their exclusivity to a competing Wireless Provider with a far higher public opinion. They could have not only weathered the Verizon iPhone storm with this product line, but taken over the market even more. I was all but ready to pay my ETF with Sprint (who I have had ZERO problems with) and jump ship for the Atrix. Not anymore.

so does that make it right?

Upvote 0
I was absolutely BRIMMING with enthusiasm for this thing, but after AT&T thoroughly spent time ruining such an incredibly capable device (probably locked bootloader, no sideloading, laptop dock is an extraordinary price, data usage with the laptop dock is considered "tethering") I have completely lost interest.

Seriously, like none at all. Not even for just the phone itself. I'm just gonna idly bide my time until MWC. Oh well. :(

Yep. I was starting to get excited and was going to wait til MWC but now I may just wait til June when the MWC phones will be launched. Who knows, AT&T keeps giving me reasons to stick with iPhones instead of their Android offerings.

Upvote 0
or if your big enough like verizon att apple google you dictate to the market

I disagree. Competition amongst those companies has led to the innovation that has given us these amazing devices. ATT, Verizon, Sprint, and Tmobile will figure out what people are willing to pay for. That's their primary job.

If ATT finds out that losing the iphone and not competitively pricing these docks hurts them, then they will change tactics. Otherwise, if people pay for the docks and tethering, then ATT picked the right strategy. Again, the market will tell us who the winner is.

Upvote 0
I have to agree, only problem is I dont know what the hell to get! The inspire looks good but Im worried about the Screen quality, over on the DHD forums they say its the same as the 3GS and that too me is not good, I went from the Captivate to 3GS and it was a huge downgrade, then we have the battery which Im not convinced with, people on the DHD forums say its good but I dont trust that until I test myself, theres always gonna be some Bias, thats pretty much it, beyond that it looks great, then we have the Nexus S which has a couple things that put me off, only 16gb with no Micro SD is unacceptable, not Notification light, no HSPA+, not for me. And thats it....no other phone out there fits my needs that I can think of, IP4 is nice but I dont want IP, guess my best bet is either get the Inspire or wait for MWC and see whats announced, who knows when those phones will come out though.

I like the GS but its perplexing why Spint got the best version, Flash on Camera, FFC, Slide out Keyboard, LED Notification, wtf its like the perfect phone! Why did sprint get such an awesome GS and all the others including the Original i9000 arent as good? Weird....

Upvote 0
I was definitely bummed and lost alot of my excitement. However, I never really planned on getting the laptop dock (I already have both a personal and work laptop) and I expected the phone itself to be around $200 (which it looks like it is). I guess I lost my some excitement because I couldn't believe Moto/AT&T would price the laptop dock at that outragous price. I'm not going to switch from AT&T (works well where I live, all friends and family have it so I can have a cheap data plan, etc.). That being said, the Atrix is still the best phone they have announced, so that's what I'll get.

Upvote 0
is this AT&T's or motorola's fault for the laptop dock pricing?

I wonder what the pricing will be for Bell?

And will att detect someone using a bell version and using it be a random laptop dock?

I was never planning on buying from AT&T as I don't want to get locked into a contract and be required to pay the higher data plan. I'm still on a non-smartphone data plan with a phone at&t can't detect.

Upvote 0
Anyone looking at the dual core HTC phone going to T-mobile in the 2nd quarter?

Rumor: Dual-Core HTC Pyramid Going to T-Mobile Late in Q2 | Android Phone Fans

I am with t-mobile and I love them but the reception and speed where I live (San Diego) are kind of spotty and bad for "4G". I wanted to jump ship to get the Atrix...now I am not sure anymore....not only that i have to pay everything extra on AT&T and have to live with a 2Gb data plan. I had unlimited web (5Gb) and unlimited sms for 35 bucks. No I have to pay even more per month for tethering when I want to use the laptop dock....that's BS.....The problem is all the mobile providers suck in one or the other way in the US. I want to stick with GSM because when I travel I wanna use my phone. So I have the choice between a cheap spotty coverage provider (t-mobile) and an expensive spotty but faster (in my region) provider AT&T. Very difficult decision.

Upvote 0
I disagree. Competition amongst those companies has led to the innovation that has given us these amazing devices. ATT, Verizon, Sprint, and Tmobile will figure out what people are willing to pay for. That's their primary job.

If ATT finds out that losing the iphone and not competitively pricing these docks hurts them, then they will change tactics. Otherwise, if people pay for the docks and tethering, then ATT picked the right strategy. Again, the market will tell us who the winner is.

the market didnt ask for tiered data they introduced it now the marke is going that way. Same thing with voice and data plans AT&T and verizon can charge alot less alla sprint or tmobile but yet they dont and no one will make them lower their prices. They are the biggest and they dictate the market

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones