• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is anyone else frustrated? Not just a rant

Apparently my words must have struck a chord with you DOCTAURI.. for you did not "read" what i wrote.. I was actally agreeing with fellow forum member "entelechy3". Just because I chose different words life "qualify" and "patient" doesn't change my feelings about how much I enjoy my droid..

Maybe you have been told to be patient in your life time or you may be since ur forum name has a "Doc" the word "patient" hits to close to home... WHen you first get a device and the MANUFACTURER says that they are going to release software for it in 3 months.. Doesn't that mean that we ALL have to be "patient" for three months for the new software to come out???

I don't like FORUM THUGS so please don't try to be.. I'm here cuz i have a DROID. and i was actually responding and agreeing with "entelechy3"... have a nice day ;)

Upvote 0
Qualifying a person for the device will not cover flaws or bugs that are discovered later on. You will only run into such things after using the phone for a while. These will not be discovered in-store. Give the OP a break.

You seem to misinterperet what I mean..I was agreeing with Forum member "entelechy3" who said that the orginal poster should review phones for himself and not by what his computer friend recommends. That he should find what "fits" for him.. I was just bringing a different aspect on the same subject.. Lets have common sense about this... ALOT of SALES REPS will sell customers anything to make their $$$ even if they know that its not what the customer really needs. Some sales reps DO ask the rigth questions and consult their customers and set the expectations...

I remember when the SAMSUNG GLYDE came out..I was al over it cuz the Samsung people HYPED it UP!! But when I got my hands on it.. I was very dissappointed on how small it was for me and my paws...ha ha.. and the touch screen and widget issue was a big pain in a$$... SO i did my homework...AFTERWORDS that is...

SO of course I dont expect ANY SALES REP to know everything about everything they sell cuz i know it's up to me to do that.

It's ok "SBacklin", sometimes we all buy on impulse due to STREET HYPE...but in the end i made the decision so I had to be patient and learn how to use phone.

I do my research now!! I BERRY LIKE-Y MY DROID-Y.....ha ha ha.... ;)

Upvote 0
I must have missed that part of the owner's manual that said, "thanks for your money, now please be patient while we attempt to get it right". Other things not mentioned in the manual or by any sales rep:

- Battery life is abismal. Please be patient as you will spend countless hours tweaking in an attempt to squeeze more life from the battery.
- The unit will slow down for no reason, please be patient, it will eventually come back.
- The unit will have periods of excruciating lag when rotating between portrait and landscape mode, please be patient, it will eventually get there.
- When bringing up the "PHONE" function of your PHONE, it will sometimes be so slow that you will click on a contact, then the list will scroll and you'll be calling someone else. Please be patient, apologize to them on our behalf and try your call again.
- When typing a message, sometimes it will be so slow that the first 5 or so characters will display about 1 sec. apart. Please be patient, it will eventually catch up with you.
- When sending MMS, your recepient may sometimes not receive it, even though we say they did, please be patient and resend, we'll eventually get it there.

The whole, "be patient" thing is crap. Why should I expect less than full functionality from a device that I buy from a retail outlet? Any component that is not fully functional should never have been included. To get a new device then be told to remove the messaging app and replace it is just plain stupid. Sure, I understand that unforseen bugs happen, but for the company to not acknowledge the issues and assure the users that they're being worked on is just piss poor business. That's why they'll be getting a bunch of them back. If someone stepped up and told us, "yes, we acknowledge your issues and are actively working on a solution" that'd be one thing. Without it, I have no alternative than to believe that some if not most of these will be swept under the rug. Look at the Krzr, that was a flaming piece of crap from cradle to grave, should I have waited for them to get it right too?

Again, this is the kind of mentality that made Microsoft what they are today.

Apparently my words must have struck a chord with you DOCTAURI.. for you did not "read" what i wrote.. I was actally agreeing with fellow forum member "entelechy3". Just because I chose different words life "qualify" and "patient" doesn't change my feelings about how much I enjoy my droid..

Maybe you have been told to be "patient" quite a few times in your life or you may be a "DOCTOR" since ur forum name has a "Doc" the word "patient" hits to close to home... When you first get a device and the MANUFACTURER says that they are going to release software for it in, lets' say... 3 months.. Doesn't that mean that we ALL have to be "patient" for three months for the new software to come out??? COMMON SENSE!!!

And lets be REAL here.. The "MANUAL" for phones have stopped being helpful 3 years ago!

I didn't know that there could be FORUM THUGS so please don't try to be.. I'm here cuz i have a DROID. and I was actually responding and agreeing with "entelechy3"... have a nice day ;)

Upvote 0
I have to say that i'm not that excited about 2.1 coming out...all i'm worried about is what NEW problems that will come with the 2.1 upgrade. My eris is pretty good the way it is now, the only problem i have to complain about is the youtube app that doesn't work, other than that, i'm happy. Sure, 2.1 may fix many of the bugs that have been listed, but whose to say that 2.1 won't come along with new bugs???

Upvote 0
God, ive been lurkin these forums for quite some time, it seems after all this hype around both the Droid and the Eris now the Eris forum is filled with the ***** that troll the WoW forums.

All everyone does here now is whine and complain about problems with the phone that for some unknown reason only they encounter or a select group of people encounter. The phone lags here and there, its going to happen, if you dont want to deal with it go get a dumb phone that doesnt do half the shit a droid, BB, or even that useless log of crap called the IPhone on AT&T, dont get me wrong it would be a spectacular log of crap had it been put on a difference provider but Apple, for some unknown reason decided to give it to the shittest service provider! yay for apple, as if their product support didnt suck enough now to even try to contact support you have to deal with shitty connections through AT&T.

Anyway back on track, you guys Suck. Thank you!

Merry X-Mas!

Upvote 0
You seem to misinterperet what I mean..I was agreeing with Forum member "entelechy3" who said that the orginal poster should review phones for himself and not by what his computer friend recommends. That he should find what "fits" for him.. I was just bringing a different aspect on the same subject.. Lets have common sense about this... ALOT of SALES REPS will sell customers anything to make their $$$ even if they know that its not what the customer really needs. Some sales reps DO ask the rigth questions and consult their customers and set the expectations...

I remember when the SAMSUNG GLYDE came out..I was al over it cuz the Samsung people HYPED it UP!! But when I got my hands on it.. I was very dissappointed on how small it was for me and my paws...ha ha.. and the touch screen and widget issue was a big pain in a$$... SO i did my homework...AFTERWORDS that is...

SO of course I dont expect ANY SALES REP to know everything about everything they sell cuz i know it's up to me to do that.

It's ok "SBacklin", sometimes we all buy on impulse due to STREET HYPE...but in the end i made the decision so I had to be patient and learn how to use phone.

I do my research now!! I BERRY LIKE-Y MY DROID-Y.....ha ha ha.... ;)

Thanks for identifying that your post was in response to my original post. Get a dumb phone? Don't be a "forum thug" as you so eloquently put it. You have no idea what went into my purchase but since you presumed to know, let me set the record straight.

First, my friend who said "don't get a winmo phone" didn't say "get an android phone". He said, don't get a winmo phone, which echoes dozens of reviews I have read about winmo phones.

Second, this was not a salesman who steered me to the phone. Since the first Droid teaser, I have been researching the Android platform and lurking on this and other forums to understand the deal. I walked into the store fully intending to purchase either a Droid or Droid Eris. I played with the WinMo phones, I played with the new BB's, I went to the Sprint store and played with the Hero, I went to the AT&T store and played with the iPhone. Then I left the mall, did more research, and came back later. So don't pretend I didn't know what I was getting into.

Third, I didn't even use a salesperson except for the purchase. I asked to be left alone, played with the phones, and then said "I'll take this one".

I said it in another forum, why do people feel the need to come down on those who have issues with the phone? To them we are whiners, complainers, suckers, know-nothings, unrealistic, too young, too old, too uneducated or whatever. I'm sorry, but when the phone works fine one minute and not the next, that's not acceptable. Either it lags and that's normal, or it doesn't and that is. Pick one or the other. THAT is my frustration.

That and people who presume to know what others are thinking, or to tell people what they can and cannot say.

Upvote 0
Thanks for identifying that your post was in response to my original post. Get a dumb phone? Don't be a "forum thug" as you so eloquently put it. You have no idea what went into my purchase but since you presumed to know, let me set the record straight.

First, my friend who said "don't get a winmo phone" didn't say "get an android phone". He said, don't get a winmo phone, which echoes dozens of reviews I have read about winmo phones.

Second, this was not a salesman who steered me to the phone. Since the first Droid teaser, I have been researching the Android platform and lurking on this and other forums to understand the deal. I walked into the store fully intending to purchase either a Droid or Droid Eris. I played with the WinMo phones, I played with the new BB's, I went to the Sprint store and played with the Hero, I went to the AT&T store and played with the iPhone. Then I left the mall, did more research, and came back later. So don't pretend I didn't know what I was getting into.

Third, I didn't even use a salesperson except for the purchase. I asked to be left alone, played with the phones, and then said "I'll take this one".

I said it in another forum, why do people feel the need to come down on those who have issues with the phone? To them we are whiners, complainers, suckers, know-nothings, unrealistic, too young, too old, too uneducated or whatever. I'm sorry, but when the phone works fine one minute and not the next, that's not acceptable. Either it lags and that's normal, or it doesn't and that is. Pick one or the other. THAT is my frustration.

That and people who presume to know what others are thinking, or to tell people what they can and cannot say.

Well said. This IS a discussion forum so often times that involves people discussing there dissatisfaction along with positives. If you never make it known you have a problem it can never get fixed. That being said I know that whining is in a completely different category and can get old. But the OP was clearly not doing this if you read the first post.

Upvote 0
Discussion is a 2 way street. Sometimes people are going to say something you don't like. So what.

My opinion is that people are too impatient. So shoot me.

I am impressed with the technology that has given us these great products and understand that sometimes you have to fail first in order to prevail.

Upvote 0
God, ive been lurkin these forums for quite some time, it seems after all this hype around both the Droid and the Eris now the Eris forum is filled with the ***** that troll the WoW forums.

All everyone does here now is whine and complain about problems with the phone that for some unknown reason only they encounter or a select group of people encounter. The phone lags here and there, its going to happen, if you dont want to deal with it go get a dumb phone that doesnt do half the shit a droid, BB, or even that useless log of crap called the IPhone on AT&T, dont get me wrong it would be a spectacular log of crap had it been put on a difference provider but Apple, for some unknown reason decided to give it to the shittest service provider! yay for apple, as if their product support didnt suck enough now to even try to contact support you have to deal with shitty connections through AT&T.

Anyway back on track, you guys Suck. Thank you!

Merry X-Mas!

I'll just be adding you to the list of a$$e$. What an a$$ hat...

Upvote 0
What I want to know is how did the sales rep supposedly "qualify" the poster? The only type of "qualifying" I have ever seen is: 1) You qualify for an upgrade price (or not), 2) Your credit card qualifies you to buy this phone. Please take the most expensive one with all of the sub-par accessories and lots of add-ons to your plan...

Upvote 0
Discussion is a 2 way street. Sometimes people are going to say something you don't like. So what.

My opinion is that people are too impatient. So shoot me.

I am impressed with the technology that has given us these great products and understand that sometimes you have to fail first in order to prevail.

I just don't see why they are releasing untested devices. I would rather wait two months and get a device that really works, in real world situations, than have it now and have it be a POS that can barely stay powered.

Upvote 0
I'll just be adding you to the list of a$$e$. What an a$$ hat...

I'm sure the OP is going to lie awake at nights over that. And I'm called a troll huh?

As for the whole striking a chord, and doctor patient thing, I have no idea what that's about. I honestly thought your response was to my post. Apparently I was wrong, sorry. But my opinions still stand. This phone is a love/hate for me. Love the asthetics, but it's too buggy/inconsistent. I have high hopes for 2.1, we'll see.

Doc

Upvote 0
Haha, well first off, I'm not from the instant gratification generation, but I definately am from the "vote with your wallet" generation. When I bought the phone, I wasn't told I was going to be part of a beta test group, I was told the phone (and OS) was production ready.

Unfortunately, this "wait and they'll eventually get it right" attitude is exactly how we ended up with Microsoft and it's buggy, security hole riddled software. Just wait, they'll get it right, 14 years and 5 os' later, of which they've charged for each one (even when it was not much more than a bugfix of the last), and we're FINALLY starting to get it a little better.

Don't get me wrong, I love the phone. The form factor is the best I've tried. But first and foremost it's a phone, and it doesn't do that well. The lag is ridiculous, the end call [physical] button doesn't work sometimes, battery life sucks, and sometimes it just slows to a crawl for absolutely no reason. The phone (os) requires WAY too much tweaking just to make it usable. It really feels to me like either this phone was released before it's time (maybe they should have waited for 2.x) or it's just completely underpowered.

Now, 2.x may very well turn out to be the panacea that everyone is hoping for, and I hope it is, but until then, mines going back to Verizon, and I'll turn my trusty old LG VX8300 back on.

Doc

Android is relatively new, and only on it's 2nd version at best (2.0). The iPhone is on 3.1.2. Considering this gap, I think my 1.5 Android phones can ALMOST compete head to head with an iPhone 3GS. I know it will beat an iPhone 3g, which also runs 3.1.2.

I don't mind kind of being a beta tester. I love my phone, it does everything I want, and I knew what i was getting into before I bought it. I like being part of an open source community.

Now, if iPhone eventually shows up on VZ, will I drop my pants for it? Yes, yes I will. Until that happens, I'm happy with my Eris.

Oh, and lol @ Microsoft for failing year after year.

Upvote 0
Android is relatively new, and only on it's 2nd version at best (2.0). The iPhone is on 3.1.2. Considering this gap, I think my 1.5 Android phones can ALMOST compete head to head with an iPhone 3GS. I know it will beat an iPhone 3g, which also runs 3.1.2.

I don't mind kind of being a beta tester. I love my phone, it does everything I want, and I knew what i was getting into before I bought it. I like being part of an open source community.

Now, if iPhone eventually shows up on VZ, will I drop my pants for it? Yes, yes I will. Until that happens, I'm happy with my Eris.

Oh, and lol @ Microsoft for failing year after year.

I don't want a phone that competes with the iPhone. If I had wanted the iPhone I would have got the iPhone.

I want a phone that works as it should. I don't feel I am asking for too much.

Upvote 0
if your not happy with the phone, bring it back and wait. they already have said that there will be a multitude of new android phones coming out in 2010, including some that are just on the horizon with a 'very early 2010' release date. as for me, im tired of trying to decide which phone to get because of the flaws that each one have that are important to me (when i say me, i mean ME, you may not care about the flaws because they are not relevant to what u want in a phone). so back to my verizon LG because im not going to be stuck with a phone for 2 years that i'm not satisfied with. HTC is planning on bringing a phone to add to the 'high-end' nature of the droid very soon (incredible?) and when a company says 'very early', they usually mean within the first couple of months (i hope january).

basically what im trying to say is, if you don't like it - return it. wait for something you'll be more happy with, but don't whine and complain about things that may or may not be fixed.

Upvote 0
if your not happy with the phone, bring it back and wait. they already have said that there will be a multitude of new android phones coming out in 2010, including some that are just on the horizon with a 'very early 2010' release date. as for me, im tired of trying to decide which phone to get because of the flaws that each one have that are important to me (when i say me, i mean ME, you may not care about the flaws because they are not relevant to what u want in a phone). so back to my verizon LG because im not going to be stuck with a phone for 2 years that i'm not satisfied with. HTC is planning on bringing a phone to add to the 'high-end' nature of the droid very soon (incredible?) and when a company says 'very early', they usually mean within the first couple of months (i hope january).

basically what im trying to say is, if you don't like it - return it. wait for something you'll be more happy with, but don't whine and complain about things that may or may not be fixed.

This was the original point I made in my first post. Replace with what?

Don't want a BB - browser sucks.

Don't want an iPhone - don't like AT&T network and having to pay for apps.

Don't want a WinMo phone.

So what's left for a smart phone? Palm?

I can't wait...I didn't have a phone to replace, my last phone belonged to work. I need a phone, and it needs to be a smart phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones