• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is anyone else hearing a high pitched sound on their Samsung Epic 4G after all these upgrades?

I am also hearing the high pitch sound. It's coming from the rear speaker not the Mic. Very annoying and embarrassing. It happens randomly but more when it's just lying somewhere flat. like charging or in the car while connected to Bluetooth. My husband is an EE for Samsung and designs the chips in the epic. He denies it'd the software? I disagree, the onset is ever since I updated. so now how the heck can it be fixed??? fast please!

Upvote 0
Wow! At least I am not crazy. I pulled my phone out to look at my bible app in church on Sunday and somehow at the same time, this horrible sound took over the church. I looked around and thought..who is interrupting service like that?

Only when I heard that same sound in my car the next day did I realize that I was the dissruption. Dios Mio! I hope that they fix this soon.

Upvote 0
I took in my phone to a Sprint Store....they thought it was a speaker issue.

When I came back a few days later, Sprint realized that it was a software update issue.

They had to roll back my phone to the early version of the phone operating system. Said it was Samsung that was the culprit. I basically have to wait until they come out with a system update that isn't one that will screw up this phone. I have to imagine at this point they are aware and are working on a fix, with it affecting EVERY Galaxy S phone it seems.

If you go into a Sprint store and they tell you it's something else causing the problem other than what I said, tell them they are probably wrong. I just went through the same crap.

Matt

Upvote 0
I just added clockwork and rooted the phone to get my GPS working again. And oddly enough, it seems to have fixed the smoke alarm that my phone had turned into. I haven't had the issue again. It's a nit of a pita but there are detailed instructions on how to do it on the GPS conversation. I'll let you know if it comes back.

Upvote 0
try turning off the phone and then removing the battery for about 3 minutes. then put the battery back in and turn it on. see if the problem returns. I did that last night and the whistling has not come back yet.

I just tried that, and yes, it does kill the squeal... until you launch the dialer. as soon as you activate any process that uses the mic, it comes on and stays on until you reboot. Weird thing is, the feedback is coming from the speaker, which is only 1/2" from the mic, but the speaker itself doesn't come on during a call unless you specifically invoke speakerphone mode.

There's just enough sound being routed from the mic directly to the speaker to cause the feedback.

I have another Epic 4G with the Gingerbread update that does not suffer this anomaly. So I guess at least one is getting rolled back :-\

Upvote 0
This is from Sprint's forum as of yesterday:

We have received reports of this and currently investigating it. There has been two different solutions that appear to be working for our technicians in our retail stores, the first is a soft reset of just pulling the battery and the other is a hard reset where we completely wipe all the information on the phone and reload the operating system. However, I believe we're still looking for devices that are experiencing this to help us gather more information on this issue if you're willing to go into one of our corporate Sprint repair locations.

Upvote 0
I have that same issue, I thought it was only when I'm near the Air Rave, but it did it on the train as well one morning...

ALSO, Idk if it's from the upgrade or not, but since I've upgraded my software, my phone's mic is on. Like when I plug my headphones in to play music or for w/e reason... I can hear feedback coming in from the mic.... Very low but weird.

Upvote 0
Yeah...I never had this issue before the update. I can understand a few bugs, but this one is completely un-acceptable. Every time I type on the keyboard (like now) my right palm covers up the mic.....and it just whistles away! I can almost make a song with it....a rather annoying one at that. This HAS to be addressed, or I need to figure out how to revert back to the old OS. RIDICULOUS!!!!

Upvote 0
Also....to answer a couple of previous questions.....soft reset does not work, and yes it still whistles with keyboard open. The prob is certainly with the mic stuck on after Gingerbread update. I would rather roll back to Froyo, then hard reset my phone.

The Sprint store can roll you back to Froyo but it will wipe out everything in the process. It's what I had to do.

Upvote 0
I just registered because I was having this same issue (and yes, it is the feedback from reflecting the speaker directly back into the mic with a very close but not covering hand, etc.).

After thinking about it, I tried intentionally activating the mic, then deactivating it, using the most minimal process available - the Voice Recorder! Start it, start recording, stop recording (I paused it, myself) which stops the mic, cancel the recording and voila! The mic is now off (and hopefully the speaker, too)! So far, phonecalls (even on speaker phone) don't mess it up, BUT restarting the phone will require you to do this again.

PS: I can't help but think how much power this glitch uses, and if we're all being bugged (spied-on) by this. Hmm...

Upvote 0
My wife's Epic is now doing this exact thing. She did the GB update a month or so ago as well. It has only happened once, and a reboot seems to temporarily fix it. In fact, now we can't even reproduce it. Tried calls, tried speakerphone, tried Voice Search, nothing makes it do this again, so the mic is shutting off as it should, but for some reason last night it didn't and it was whining every time you cover the microphone hole.... *shrug*

Upvote 0
I had no idea what any of you were talking about...until today.

I heard this high-pitched noise while getting lunch, and I thought it was something there. But it followed me to the gas station, and finally home. Most times, it went away quicker than I could track it down. But I was finally able to reproduce it (somewhat) on the phone, finally hearing what all of you had mentioned so far.

From what I can tell, it does seem like some sort of audio feedback, but I'm not sure why the microphone would be open, if the phone is supposedly idle? (cue the Carrier IQ conspiracy theories--just kidding!)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones