• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is anyone else NOT a fan of themed ROMS?

bose301s

Feb 8, 2010
Personally I love being rooted and having all the options that being rooted gives me, however I have not found a single theme that I actually like more than stock Android. I mean, some of them have cool elements, JRummy's green themed ROM is ok, as is Fab's NexBeast, they have some really cool parts to the themes, but some of the icons or other things are just God-awful in every theme I have tried. I liked Pete's Smoked Glass theme he had to apply over his BB builds, but the notification drop down had some problems, you couldn't always read the notification text making it basically useless. Overall I am just asking, am I the only one who highly prefers the Android stock theme?

I couldn't give a crap about themed ROMs. I use Cyanogen, and I made my own theme.

By "Made", I mean I pieced together my own theme using bits and pieces from about 10 different themes I've found over the past few months.

Anyhow... I see very little point in loading themed ROMs when I can just download whatever ROM I want, use metamorph to apply my own theme and be done with it.

Upvote 0
Personally I love being rooted and having all the options that being rooted gives me, however I have not found a single theme that I actually like more than stock Android. I mean, some of them have cool elements, JRummy's green themed ROM is ok, as is Fab's NexBeast, they have some really cool parts to the themes, but some of the icons or other things are just God-awful in every theme I have tried. I liked Pete's Smoked Glass theme he had to apply over his BB builds, but the notification drop down had some problems, you couldn't always read the notification text making it basically useless. Overall I am just asking, am I the only one who highly prefers the Android stock theme?

if you like the stock look. try the CM 5.0.6.2 it is a fast robust rom that has a mostly stock look with very few design tweaks.

Upvote 0
I prefer stock icons, because, understandably, only so many are ever themed. I really hate the stock notification bar though.

Yeah...the stock gray notification bar is fugly IMO! Stock icons are fine for me but regardless of the theme, the notification bar on my phone MUST be black along with the Facebook app and search widget. I'm using the ADW launcher and haven't played with themes much for it and so my search widget has been removed from the phone ;)

Upvote 0
Yeah...the stock gray notification bar is fugly IMO! Stock icons are fine for me but regardless of the theme, the notification bar on my phone MUST be black along with the Facebook app and search widget. I'm using the ADW launcher and haven't played with themes much for it and so my search widget has been removed from the phone ;)
I like a black notification bar too, the problem is that some apps use black text and I haven't found a way to change them even when the text is set to white, Google Scoreboard is the biggest offender here.

Upvote 0
I am and have always been a big fan of themes but recently went themeless when BB 1.0 leaked and it was a nice change to get back to basics. I'm sure if the Droid had come stock with Smoked Glass or whatever the popular theme of the day, and we never saw the current stock, we would all jump on the gray notification and the rest of the real stock theme if some developer came up with it just to have something different. Just the nature of the beast ;)

Upvote 0
Honestly I don't remember what stock looks like. I've always used Themed ROMS because I haven't really gotten into using Metamorph. The only thing that I really want is a black notification bar and black app drawer. The rest can be stock for all I know and care.

On a side note: Is there an App similar to ROM manager but for only Metamorph themes?

Upvote 0
My opinion of course..

Three things I cannot stand about the stock theme:

One, it is too plain and boring-looking. I am a graphics nut..I like flashy:p

Two, I like my screens to be dark with light print, because it is easier on my eyes.

And Three... I HATE GREEN.. :p- Plus blue highlights on a dark theme look great to me:)

So to me the themed ROMs and MM theme options are a godsend:)

Upvote 0
I really can't find anything that I like better than stock, to tell the truth. Stock is simple, it works right, and the only thing I'd ever even consider is maybe the black notification bar from Smoked Glass.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel too, I like the stock icons, I like the green but a black notification bar is nice.

Upvote 0
I couldn't give a crap about themed ROMs. I use Cyanogen, and I made my own theme.

By "Made", I mean I pieced together my own theme using bits and pieces from about 10 different themes I've found over the past few months.

Anyhow... I see very little point in loading themed ROMs when I can just download whatever ROM I want, use metamorph to apply my own theme and be done with it.
Some people, including me, don't know how to do this. That's why I like themed ROM's...Just sayin' :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones