• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

jem3354

Mar 3, 2012
I decided to encrypt my phone (Settings -> Encryption), and I checked both phone and SD card. Has anyone else tried this? The only effects I've seen is that it takes a little longer to start up (runs through the boot animation twice), and I must have a pin/password on the phone (no face unlock or open).

Has anyone else who's tried this seen anything else it does? Or any negative side effects?

The card has the encrypted data and the phone has the key. Something as simple as a small issue where you call into customer service and they tell you to do a factory data reset is all that needs to happen to lose your data. Forever. No chance of recovery. Once that key is lost it and the data it secured is not recoverable and may as well never existed.

I don't have any secrets that require that kind of security. I don't even PIN or pattern lock my phone.

Upvote 0
The card has the encrypted data and the phone has the key. Something as simple as a small issue where you call into customer service and they tell you to do a factory data reset is all that needs to happen to lose your data. Forever. No chance of recovery. Once that key is lost it and the data it secured is not recoverable and may as well never existed.

I don't have any secrets that require that kind of security. I don't even PIN or pattern lock my phone.

Same for me. I keep my phone with me. No need for high end security.

Upvote 0
That's all based on the fact that the SD card is encrypted, right? Does the phone being encrypted affect anything?

you will need both the SD and phone to access either data if im not mistaken. like Glen said, something as simple as hard reset, or wipe user data will cost you the data on the opposite device. so you wouldnt be able to ever flash a rom( if that happens for us) and keep the same sd card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones