1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

is anyone here on verizon?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MongolStomp, Sep 30, 2010.

1. MongolStomp

MongolStomp Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    Hi all and greetings from an Eris user. Anyways, (forgive me if this is a dumb question) but is anyone usinga N1 on verizon? The reason I ask is because I know when people sometimes unlock and root phones they can get on any carrier they like. I know tmobile/at&t use different networks than vzw however, but has anyone successfully put one of these bad boys on vzw? or is this just impossible... I really wanted a nexus since i heard about them and when they never made the vzw version I was bummed. I know there's the incredible yadaydad but it's nowwhere near as sexy. Also, the evo style phones aren't supposed to hit vzw till after LTE launches, but I digress...

n1 on vzw possible? thanks!

Advertisement

2. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Engineer
    New York
    No it's not possible. The N1 uses GSM networks while Verizon uses CDMA networks. This is one of the reasons why I never liked Verizon because when you travel outside the USA it's more common to find GSM networks rather then CDMA. Verizon's way around this is by "lending" you a world phone which is usually a less caliber phone. I like knowing if I do travel this is a good chance I can still use my N1.

Also the reason why you can't just root the phone is because this is a hardware issue, not software.

3. MongolStomp

Jan 3, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    bummmmmmmmmouttt. I'm on vzw till spring, by then LTE will be goin and they'll have new b.a. phones out. I just wanted a N1 till then to play with rather than my Eris. Oh welllll, thanks for the info though!

4. MongolStomp

Jan 3, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    not really a fan of Motorola or phones with a physical keyboard

Tags: