• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is anyone OCD like me and closing apps when you know you don't *NEED* to ?

I hate the fact that when i use my camera, or camcorder and send an mms or simply save a picture, that it goes back to the camera. I hit the back button, home button, etc. and of course the camera goes away. I know the OS knows that the camera is in the background now, not utilizing CPU, therefore not using up MAH, but I'm OCD about it running, not sure why. The only 2 apps i kill when i'm done are google maps, and camera. I just dont want them running in the background even though they dont have "focus" and will not be drawing any power. There are some apps that come with an exit button, which is fine with me, even though it doesn't actually close the app, and i only use ATK when something is funky on the phone and not giving me what i want, but are you guys the same way as me, or am i the only one that force kills some of the more batt. draining apps ?

:eek::mad::D

I hate the fact that when i use my camera, or camcorder and send an mms or simply save a picture, that it goes back to the camera. I hit the back button, home button, etc. and of course the camera goes away. I know the OS knows that the camera is in the background now, not utilizing CPU, therefore not using up MAH, but I'm OCD about it running, not sure why. The only 2 apps i kill when i'm done are google maps, and camera. I just dont want them running in the background even though they dont have "focus" and will not be drawing any power. There are some apps that come with an exit button, which is fine with me, even though it doesn't actually close the app, and i only use ATK when something is funky on the phone and not giving me what i want, but are you guys the same way as me, or am i the only one that force kills some of the more batt. draining apps ?

:eek::mad::D

What I did is I d/l the Advanced Task Killer Free from the marketplace. When you open the app, you check off the apps you want to kill, then touch the top button to kill the apps. What's even better is there's a widget for it too. I have it on my main home screen and it's just an icon. Whenever I'm done with any app, I just touch the icon and it kills all open apps. It will tell you on the screen how many apps it killed (mind you it will only kill the apps that are open that you selected to kill when you opened the app. So if you don't check off camera, it won't kill it with the widget). Cause I'm the same as you, I need to have it all killed. However, even now at night my battery is still at 85% full because of this app. Try it out.

brilor04

Upvote 0
Whats the battery charge trick?

if you charge your battery while the phone is on, let it charge until the light is green, then turn off the phone, and the light goes back to red. continue charging until the light turns green again. for whatever reason, the battery is not able to charge completely while it's on. i'm assuming that is the battery trick we're talking about. if there's another one, please let me know. :)

Upvote 0
If I hit the back button out of the camera, the app closes. No need to kill it.
+1
I have an app killer, though its part of systemPanel, only had to use it once. barcode scanner/camera got stuck in some type of loop, had phone at 998mgz and wouldn't release. just a one time glitch.
I'm coming from the sammy Omnia which is a winmo phone so yes it's refreshing but odd not to manage memory continuously .
I just let android do its thing, but from habit I still watch it.

Upvote 0
+1
I have an app killer, though its part of systemPanel, only had to use it once. barcode scanner/camera got stuck in some type of loop, had phone at 998mgz and wouldn't release. just a one time glitch.
I'm coming from the sammy Omnia which is a winmo phone so yes it's refreshing but odd not to manage memory continuously .
I just let android do its thing, but from habit I still watch it.
System panel is the best for sure. It is so much more than a task killer. Also coming from the omnia so i'm constantly checking out whats running, i will kill only the apps that i know won't start themselves right back up.

Upvote 0
if you charge your battery while the phone is on, let it charge until the light is green, then turn off the phone, and the light goes back to red. continue charging until the light turns green again. for whatever reason, the battery is not able to charge completely while it's on. i'm assuming that is the battery trick we're talking about. if there's another one, please let me know. :)

I wonder....does it actually add charge to the phone (make it last longer) or is just a 'light thing'? Has anyone done a run-time comparison?

Upvote 0
I'm just like the OP, lol. I use Advanced Task Killer to kill stuff I'm not using, like pictures, games, tools, and then the Advanced Task Killer itself. I just like to keep my tasks low and a sufficient amount of memory. And on that note, my suitemate who's a computer science and software engineering double major told me that freeing memory from time to time is a good idea, it seems that a lot of people on this forum seem to say otherwise.

for whatever reason, the battery is not able to charge completely while it's on. :)

I'm guessing that it wouldn't fully charge because the phone is still drawing energy from the battery.

Upvote 0
I'm just like the OP, lol. I use Advanced Task Killer to kill stuff I'm not using, like pictures, games, tools, and then the Advanced Task Killer itself. I just like to keep my tasks low and a sufficient amount of memory. And on that note, my suitemate who's a computer science and software engineering double major told me that freeing memory from time to time is a good idea, it seems that a lot of people on this forum seem to say otherwise.

I'm guessing that it wouldn't fully charge because the phone is still drawing energy from the battery.

Many have read the blog at android developers, it goes into detail on design of the android os and how it is better to not force kill apps unless absolutely necessary , I think basically it takes more juice to start apps then to keep them in background, and let os use memory as needed.

Upvote 0

I'm betting he was speaking from a Windows perspective though. Which is entirely true. However, the HTC Incredible does not use Windows:) Waynester summed it up nicely...but I wanted to add and reiterate:

Killing tasks will drain more power than not killing them, simply because they were not using power before: but the task killer did use power. Theres also other reasons, such as a lack of proper cleanup from the task killer that can leave other threads/memory allocations/services/etc. which can cause issues in the longer run.

Really though, as far as battery is concerned: It doesn't matter. You won't get any more or less battery life from this. What affects battery life is usage..including poorly coded apps. I can drain my battery in 3 hours, or it can last 4 days.

Bingo. As the battery is being charged, the current will begin to drop at the end. The phone is on, so still drawing some current: When the charge reaches the break even point, it THINKS it is at 0 and therefore the battery is full. Turning the phone off, allows the phone to get that last bit of charge.

Upvote 0
Many have read the blog at android developers, it goes into detail on design of the android os and how it is better to not force kill apps unless absolutely necessary , I think basically it takes more juice to start apps then to keep them in background, and let os use memory as needed.

Also, killing an app dumps it from RAM. It takes power to transfer from flash memory to RAM the data for an app. Leave your apps alone as long as they're not eating battery life or keeping your phone from sleeping. Android is built off linux which will handle everything else for you.

Everyone should get System Panel. The list of active apps are the apps currently running. The lower list that says 'inactive (cached)' are simply apps that have been closed (aka not running) but are still in RAM for quick and efficient loading next time.

So everyone chill with this app killing nonsense. If it isn't in the active list, it isn't running.

Upvote 0
While i do agree with the task killer not being necessary. I find it helpful to me because I feel like these apps don't need to be running or cached in anyway because if i use my camera one time in a week, it doesn't need to be stored in ram to prepare for a quick startup should i choose to go back to it again. I'd rather close it completely and use the little juice of battery to kill it, than to watch it run in hibernate mode. I don't know why but i'd just rather kill it. I only kill a few things.

Camera, Video Camera, Photos, and facebook. I dont have sync turned on, and I dont have facebook syncing with my contacts, and i dont have any background apps syncing without my permission either, such as weather, stocks, nytimes widgets, etc. I'd rather click the widget and have it load when i want it to load.

So for me, when i kill an app, the apps i mentioned above, it should not hurt the processing mechanism or cpu thread in anyway since i'm not actually stopping something that should be syncing or should be running.

I do feel that some people go overboard and use the ATK widget, which should not be done, because you dont know what you killed exactly, and sure ATK remembers what you killed before, but if you keep doing that habitually, you will start killing processes that are vital. For example, tons of people complaining they slept late because their alarm clock didnt work, naturally all of those complaints came from users that had ATK autokilling apps after a certain amount of time.

I'm right in between in terms of ATK, i do enjoy it and it does give me peace of mind, but I also am against killing everything just because we feel like it's hogging up battery, which it isnt. Everyone has to remember 0% cpu means 0% battery. I use OS monitor instead of system panel to tell me exactly what's running and whats idle, and whats in sleep.

Upvote 0
I'd rather close it completely and use the little juice of battery to kill it, than to watch it run in hibernate mode. I don't know why but i'd just rather kill it. I only kill a few things.

If it's inactive, then it isn't running. Plain and simple. The data that comprises the app is simply stored in RAM. The phone will handle it from there. It's like any OS. If you close your browser on your PC, the data that makes up that program is still in RAM (unless needed by something else). But it isn't running anymore, just stored.

So, you're wasting your time.

Upvote 0
If it's inactive, then it isn't running. Plain and simple. The data that comprises the app is simply stored in RAM. The phone will handle it from there. It's like any OS. If you close your browser on your PC, the data that makes up that program is still in RAM (unless needed by something else). But it isn't running anymore, just stored.

So, you're wasting your time.

I have agreed already that i'm wasting my time, but for some reason, i just don't like seeing the camera open. its the same reason i dont have itunes open on my laptop when on battery if i'm not using it. I know its not using any CPU usage, i know its not playing any songs, and wasting battery (well maybe a little bit ) but i just want to close it, i know it's pointless, but i don't like clutter. I don't like opening up ATK, or OS monitor and seeing all these apps in idle/sleep/hibernate mode, i'd rather kill them. I'm crazy, OCD, and neurotic. That is why I very clearly stated OCD in the subject line of this thread/topic

Upvote 0
i sometimes kill things when i am done. lately i have begun to do it less. the OS has no problem with multi-tasking or clearing memory when it needs to and i am starting to fully believe this.

at first when i got my Inc i had a problem with Slacker when left running, so that got me into the habit of killing things when i am done using them. i have since removed Slacker and have since started to kill things less.

the app System Panel is also a nice way to keep track of things. it'll show you what apps may be problem apps.

Upvote 0
I'm constantly killing apps cause It seems like when I don't do It my battery gets warm and drains.

I'm not calling you out even though it looks like it, i suggest you do a search on "ATK" or "task killer" and read the specs and stats. The OS does a great job of keeping core heat down, and it's good at managing IDLE tasks. Your phone should not be overheating, and if it is, a task killer will not fix the issue. Check out one of the sticky's that are related to the task killer, you will find loads of information there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones