• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is anyone running Froyo yet?

yeah i tried FroydVillain for a couple days and suprising it had better battery life than most of the 2.1 roms i tried and all overclocked to 691. there was a few bugs as in the camera didnt work, no flash 10.1. but other than that i liked the feel of it, only reason i went back is i missed sense. ill probably go back to it after a couple updates, cuz i tried it at 1.0 and now its at 1.1.1. overall it was an impressive rom and definatly looking forward to a polished finish product

Upvote 0
Until today I was using Froyd Villain for a week. I did really like it, it's the longest I've used a non-sense rom, but in the end things started to annoy me, and the advantages didn't outweigh the disadvantages.

I found the battery life was awesome, and the general froyo stuff was good. But it was a lot more sluggish than cronos, mainly stuff like swiping across homescreens etc.

Other than the speed it was mainly sense I missed.. things like the dialer, messages, widgets, having everyone in my adresss book assigned a picture from facebook automatically, stuff like that.

I don't know how anyone uses a stock rom after using sense! :p

Upvote 0
Until today I was using Froyd Villain for a week. I did really like it, it's the longest I've used a non-sense rom, but in the end things started to annoy me, and the advantages didn't outweigh the disadvantages.

I found the battery life was awesome, and the general froyo stuff was good. But it was a lot more sluggish than cronos, mainly stuff like swiping across homescreens etc.

Other than the speed it was mainly sense I missed.. things like the dialer, messages, widgets, having everyone in my adresss book assigned a picture from facebook automatically, stuff like that.

I don't know how anyone uses a stock rom after using sense! :p

with froyd 1.1.1 my contact ares linked to fb, plus if you use launcherpro, theres decent widgets to replace sense without the bloat.Dialer one is pretty good. also there is a call screen mod which is better than stock:http://villainrom.grense.no/villainrom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=2256&sid=a6f2d01d18285e32544106272ad45442
As for it being sluggish, it depends if you take the time to set it up properly.Like any rom.

Upvote 0
with froyd 1.1.1 my contact ares linked to fb, plus if you use launcherpro, theres decent widgets to replace sense without the bloat.Dialer one is pretty good. also there is a call screen mod which is better than stock:VillainROM Forums • View topic - Froyo Call Screen Mod (By Alex)
As for it being sluggish, it depends if you take the time to set it up properly.Like any rom.

Second time now someone's telling me it was because I didn't 'set it up properly'. It's nothing to do with that. Someone said that 1.0 had something slowing it down and that's why it was sluggish. I guess I should've updated to 1.1.1 then. But it's a fact that that rom was slow, the linpack scores I was getting were shit considering it has JIT.

1.1.1 sounds a lot better but I won't be going back. There are ok widgets, but none that are really as good. I like to have a polished and consistent ui across my phone, so sense it is for me :p

Upvote 0
Second time now someone's telling me it was because I didn't 'set it up properly'. It's nothing to do with that. Someone said that 1.0 had something slowing it down and that's why it was sluggish. I guess I should've updated to 1.1.1 then. But it's a fact that that rom was slow, the linpack scores I was getting were shit considering it has JIT.

1.1.1 sounds a lot better but I won't be going back. There are ok widgets, but none that are really as good. I like to have a polished and consistent ui across my phone, so sense it is for me :p

froyd 1.1.1 fixed something called akmd? which were slowing down the cpu. Linpack scores were back to what they should have been.
different strokes for different folk re sense. I just don't like the bloatware .

Upvote 0
While I would agree that the sense theme is more uniform I also find it kind of boring to look at after a few months.... since using launcher pro I've noticed my phone is faster, and there is less clutter on the home screens due to that handy little toolbar on the bottom.

Launcher pro is a welcome change to sense UI for me.

Upvote 0
i installed froyod villian 1.1.1 and really liked it. other then camera not working i couldnt see much else which didnt work. im going to uninstall tho i think . i like the htc sense. i dont mind not having sense but i dont really like the launcher. i'd prefer either having htc sense or stock android (coulnt figure out how to get rid of launcher).

dunno i might try it again in a couple of updates. see what its like. it can only get bettew

Upvote 0
You can switch out launchers pretty easily you know. (HTC Sense being the exception).

Just find the one you want to try in the market/on google :)

You were on Launcher Pro and I think the standard stock android ones are called launcher and laucher 2. (Launcher 2 arrived with the nexus 1 and looks a lot like launcher pro). HelixLauncher is another I've tried, seemed very like stock.

Upvote 0
Thanks ill take a look at that. I've put 2.1 back on it now and after I finished installing stuff I was "low on space". Wasn't very clever HTC only putting a small amount of apparently memory. Ill see how much a can get to the card once I get froyo back on here.

My next phone..I hope htc make a nice one with lots of internal memory as not everything goes to SD card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones