• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is anyone still using Launcher Pro+ on the Bionic?

I know it's severely outdated, but I do like the widgets. I'm getting a serious screen lag after opening the screen. It will be unresponsive for roughly 15 senconds.... Is anyone else experiencing this?

I think It may be time to call it quits on LP+
I'm glad you posted this. I'm getting my Bionic today or tomorrow, and decided it's time to ball out and get some paid apps i've been wanting on my ally. I'm interested in seeing if this is a common issue. I've had some lag while using launcherpro but I always figured it was because my phone blows.

Upvote 0
386645_1665686538163_1717261333_825227_1141879663_n.jpg

I'm a total minimalist, I like keeping my phone rather dull looking. The little amount of time I spent playing with Go Launcher I couldn't really find much to keep a color scheme, with transparent widgets....

Upvote 0
I'm glad you posted this. I'm getting my Bionic today or tomorrow, and decided it's time to ball out and get some paid apps i've been wanting on my ally. I'm interested in seeing if this is a common issue. I've had some lag while using launcherpro but I always figured it was because my phone blows.

When i got my Bionic replaced from best buy they gave me an ally as a loaner phone, it was the worst 2 days of my life :p. I dont use launcherpro but i do use go launcher and it's buttery smooth. I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied with the Bionics performance on LP compared to your ally.

Upvote 0
I loved LP Pro on my Dx, but it has not performed as well on the Bionic. I've experienced screen lag and twice it redrew the homescreen incorrectly (it was split oddly in half). It's a shame because I really liked the customizability of the lower app bar and the way it configured the app list to freely scroll up and down rather than page by page sideways. If they could update it to address these issues, I'd gladly leave stock and use it again.

Upvote 0
If you use the FB widget from LP+ try clearing the FB cache and see if that fixes the redraw issues.
I had the same thing happen and tracked it down to that cache.
For me, I clear that cache once a week or so, along with all the other caches, and LP+ works perfect 98% of the time. The other 2%... well....

You are the man, I have never done this. :)

Upvote 0
I still use LP mostly because I like swiping from the dock icons to launch something different. Does any other launcher have that feature?

Go Launcher allows up to 3 docks, and ADW EX also allows multiple docks. I think that plain ADW also allows multiple docks.

Problems with performance in LP+ may be able to be fixed in some of the advanced settings, but I don't have it on my phone right now so I can't say where to start tweaking. Again, the fact that Go and ADW EX both can do just about what LP+ can do basically answers that question for me.

Upvote 0
I've been using LPP since the OG Droid, now on the Bionic. It works very well for me.

(I tried to install it on my ICS alpha rom, but it doesn't work. It is said too be undegoing updates for ICS now. Since it didn't work I tried Go Launcher Ex and it worked very well. Now I am just using native ICS, but it is limiting.)

When using the base Kinetx rom I love my LPP.

Upvote 0
I'm still rocking LauncherPro Plus and I still love it. It's still buttery smooth, and I love all the customizations I can make to it. I do realize there hasn't been an update in forever, and Fede was trying to completely redo the app, but that ship seems as if it may have sailed. I may try some of the others later on down the road.

Upvote 0
Well I just got my Bionic yesterday and LP is working great for me. HOWEVER. I only use the older Version Of Launcher Pro.... Reason... because the New Version caused my Ally to be very Laggy. So when I changed to the Bionic I just assumed it would be laggy as well so I kept using the "outdated Launcher Pro". Plus have you noticed that the old LP has more settings and tweaks available? It does. They actually took out functions in the free version. So if you want the old .apk just PM me.

Hope that helps Bro.

Upvote 0
i've been using LPP for over a year and i like it, but it definitely slows my phone down. are there other launchers out that have the features that make LPP great,

like vertical scrolling app drawer,

Both Go EX and ADW EX can be configured this way. Go has a search bar at the top, if you have a lot of apps.

swipe dock shortcuts

Both Go EX and ADW EX have this.

and resizable widgets?

Ditto. Both Go EX and ADW EX have this. ADW asks for the size when you load the widget.

As Go launcher is free, you can try that one out for free. It has a bunch of add on themes and widgets; for example, they have a free messaging widget which I think is better than the LP+ one, plus a free calendar/agenda widget, etc.

I use LP+ so much that I "think" in LP+ with my phone, but Go is a pretty darned good.

Upvote 0
I've tried em all, and always end up going back to LP+....Go Launcher EX is a close 2nd, but doesn't seem near as responsive to me. I don't really use widgets, my main concern is speed....speed sliding between homescreens, and opening the app drawer...animations do not concern me...speed and simplicity is what I want, and LP+ has always done me right.

Upvote 0
Go Launcher allows up to 3 docks, and ADW EX also allows multiple docks. I think that plain ADW also allows multiple docks.

Problems with performance in LP+ may be able to be fixed in some of the advanced settings, but I don't have it on my phone right now so I can't say where to start tweaking. Again, the fact that Go and ADW EX both can do just about what LP+ can do basically answers that question for me.

Yeah, they all have multiple docks, but that isn't what I'm looking for (and prefer a single dock) The swiping feature I'm asking about is for example:
I have Google Talk in my dock. If I tap on that icon, Google Talk opens up. But if I swipe from the Google Talk Icon instead of just tap, a different program will open (Google Voice in this case).

Upvote 0
I have Google Talk in my dock. If I tap on that icon, Google Talk opens up. But if I swipe from the Google Talk Icon instead of just tap, a different program will open (Google Voice in this case).

Yep, you can do this in Go. It supports swipe-up, anyway. I'm not sure about ADW EX.

Again, Go is free, so you can easily try it. If you then uninstall if you do not like it, LP will still be there.

Upvote 0
I initially had it installed (transferred over with everything else from my OG Droid). I found I wasn't using it, and I was concerned that it may have contributed to other problems I was having (freezing, BSOD & random restarts) so I uninstalled. No BSODs and only 2 random restarts since installing 5.7.893. Not sure if one is related to the other.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones