• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is atrix 2 worth buying

I'm a computer programmer but I don't want to spend all darn day programming my phone to make it work even remotely like a phone should. If you like buying apps and spending time changing all kinds of settings or loading custom roms and stuff like that, maybe Atrix2 is for you. But I want my phone to work for me, not the other way around.
I was shocked that this phone, out of the box, doesn't even turn the screen on when you get a text message or a reminder goes off. I had a windows phone in 2003 that did that, and so did both my iPhones. I would assume that it would be a standard default setting that would be easy to attain, but not on an Android. You have to download multiple demo apps and purchase several to figure out what's the best combination of tweaks and apps to get the thing to work like it should. I don't get the whole Android love affair.

As a Microsofter, I had an iPhone3 and 4 and never liked iTunes on PC, but after 4 months with an Android, all I want is my iPhone back again. Biggest mistake I ever made was to switch after I swam with my iPhone. Pretty sure I gotta go back.

Upvote 0
I'm a computer programmer but I don't want to spend all darn day programming my phone to make it work even remotely like a phone should. If you like buying apps and spending time changing all kinds of settings or loading custom roms and stuff like that, maybe Atrix2 is for you. But I want my phone to work for me, not the other way around.
I was shocked that this phone, out of the box, doesn't even turn the screen on when you get a text message or a reminder goes off. I had a windows phone in 2003 that did that, and so did both my iPhones. I would assume that it would be a standard default setting that would be easy to attain, but not on an Android. You have to download multiple demo apps and purchase several to figure out what's the best combination of tweaks and apps to get the thing to work like it should. I don't get the whole Android love affair.

As a Microsofter, I had an iPhone3 and 4 and never liked iTunes on PC, but after 4 months with an Android, all I want is my iPhone back again. Biggest mistake I ever made was to switch after I swam with my iPhone. Pretty sure I gotta go back.

Regarding the problem about screen not waking up on sms, i think it's more of a practical thing rather than a problem. Ur phone is lying on a table and ur g.f. texts you, and then everyyone standing near ur phone can have a chance to sneak at ur personal text. But if you still want this feature, you can use handscent sms available free of cost from playstore which wakes the screen as and when you receive some text. You can even read short texts without touching ur phone before the display times out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones