• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is browser consuming data when you do not touch it?

spman

Android Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2013
I visited some website on the android browser. Then I leave the browser and website on, left the phone on the table untouched and went for lunch for 2 hours.

Is the website/browser consuming data during the 2 hour lunch?

If yes, how do I prevent unnecessary data wastage?

It shouldn't be, unless there is something in the website that's automatically refreshing. Just press the "home" button to put the browser in the background and it certainly won't be.

Or, heretical as it might sound to many people, you can turn off data when you know you don't want to use an internet connection ;). But if you are worried about data usage you should check how often email, social networking, weather, news etc apps are checking for updates rather than whether your browser is using data when you've not asked it to load any fresh pages. Most apps will have controls in their settings which let you set how often they refresh.

Upvote 0
It shouldn't be, unless there is something in the website that's automatically refreshing. Just press the "home" button to put the browser in the background and it certainly won't be.

Or, heretical as it might sound to many people, you can turn off data when you know you don't want to use an internet connection ;). But if you are worried about data usage you should check how often email, social networking, weather, news etc apps are checking for updates rather than whether your browser is using data when you've not asked it to load any fresh pages. Most apps will have controls in their settings which let you set how often they refresh.

The "home" button you are referring is that physical rectangle shape middle button on bottom of Samsung S4 correct?

How do you turn off data?

Upvote 0
The "home" button you are referring is that physical rectangle shape middle button on bottom of Samsung S4 correct?
Yes.
How do you turn off data?
Via Settings. There may be a toggle in the pull-down panel that turns it on/off - I don't know the S4's software well. Otherwise you can find many widgets in the Play Store which can add one for you (to homescreen or to the notification pull-down).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones