• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Chris Pirillo serious?

Tell him to post this image...can you say pwnd! And might I add I'm over that time now.
snap20100620_201340.png

Upvote 0
I knew I hated that guy, now I at least have a GREAT reason. What a crappy review. He basically shared NO INFORMATION WHATSOEVER other than in some possible usage pattern his EVO is using up battery faster than his iPhone. I'll admit now that I think iPhone batteries DO last longer but that is with NOTHING running in the background (yet, until iOS4) and also with other limitations and deficiencies which make it less usable than an Android device. Oh well, to each his own. At least it sounds like the Internet community isn't buying it either (he mentioned he's being savagely attacked on various social networking sites). So be it. He can enjoy his crappy iPhone and miss out on Android/EVO for all I care. :D

If anything, all we learned from his video is that he SUCKS at Android and battery life tricks, unlike many of us! :D

snap20100612_101330.png

Upvote 0
I just took one look at this video and shook my head

You know I would've shaken my head too if I only based my opinion of the video on my own Evo experience. I use an Evo, I love the Evo, and my battery life has not been bad for me at all. It could be better, but I can still use it throughout the day and be able to get by. Note that I don't do any crazy tweaks to accomplish this. I disabled the Google Talk auto-login, I turn GPS off and Wifi on when I'm at home, and I turn GPS on and Wifi off when I leave. I also don't have 4G coverage so that stays off. I have a friend though that has the Evo, and his battery experiences compare to Chris Pirilo's. Without using it, he gets abysmal battery life. Even after doing what I do, as well as keeping Bluetooth off, 4G off, doing the CDMA trick, formatting the SD card, he still gets awful battery life. I don't know why there's so much variance with these phones, but I can see how it's frustrating.

Upvote 0
I think it just demonstrates this is what people that purchase the Evo without adjusting any settings and widgets. I had that same type of issue until I removed widgets and set it up the way I wanted. Call bull$hit all you like, the stock config on the Evo eats batteries just as he has shown.

On the flip side I find the guy nothing more than a blogger with no background in tech to know what he's talking about so its no real surprise he has the phone running just as it came out of the box.

Notice BT, 4G, GPS and he is not on Wifi, while the iPhone has BT but is on Wifi. Not much of a comparison. The only thing he is serious about is proving over and over how clueless he is about tech.

Upvote 0
Today was probably one of my heavier usage day. Easily 3+ hours of surfing, talking on the phone,texting and taking pics. That and a several downloads and it went from 8am until 9:15pm or so until it shut down and I plugged it back in. I did not have the GPS, BT or 4G radio on at any time. The only widgets I run are calendar, news, and the HTC clock.weather one that comes stock on the phone. I have swype installed and it's rooted via Unrevoked with wifi tether app and the system monitor on. I do use ATK some, but not finding I need to monitor much now that I have the right setup to accommodate my usage.

Out of the box, with everything on, my Evo was dead within 4 hours with light usage. I think a proper discharge and charge, along with killing most of the widgets and setting up background data and updates made a huge difference. Clearly something the blogger, and many here on the forums have yet to figure out.

Upvote 0
I think it just demonstrates this is what people that purchase the Evo without adjusting any settings and widgets. I had that same type of issue until I removed widgets and set it up the way I wanted. Call bull$hit all you like, the stock config on the Evo eats batteries just as he has shown.

On the flip side I find the guy nothing more than a blogger with no background in tech to know what he's talking about so its no real surprise he has the phone running just as it came out of the box.

Notice BT, 4G, GPS and he is not on Wifi, while the iPhone has BT but is on Wifi. Not much of a comparison. The only thing he is serious about is proving over and over how clueless he is about tech.

Oh, he's a tech guy, had his own show a while ago on TV. But this "review" is so fking biased and wrong he needs to pull that shi# down!
It

Upvote 0
YouTube - The iPhone Rant

Check out why the iPhone sucks, and why Chris will not be buying the iPhone in the future... :rolleyes:

Yet one of his recent blog posts was on how HE spent the better half of a day trying to pre-order the iPhone 4 and has since order 2 total to sell one on eBay or whatever. And HE's the one doing the fanboi name-calling??? :D

Upvote 0
Check out why the iPhone sucks, and why Chris will not be buying the iPhone in the future... :rolleyes:

I agree with his points at the time. That was when the first iPhone was put out and the cheapest was $599, Edge only, no MMS, no Copy & Paste, no third party apps, no GPS, no exchange support, no video recording, no experience in the phone business, and people didn't know anything about how good their touch screen was. I can see why he changed his tune once they changed everything I listed. I didn't try the iPhone until the 3G came out. Of course I'm happy with my Evo now but I still get it on some level.

Upvote 0
Dumbass.. :eek:

This is exactly the reason why I hate arguing with iPhone fanboys. A majority of society is clueless about technology and the iPhone makes it simple for them to use. Android on the other hand, first time users will need to play with it for a couple hours or even days to fully understand the phone.

So short version of my opinion:

iPhone: It's made easy, so easy that even stupid people will know how to use it.

Androids: More complicated and takes time to fully comprehend the abilities. I believe this guy is biased because he barely played with an android device. This is my first time using an android device and yes, i admit battery life wasnt so great. I played with the phone for a bit and actually got use to it, now im gettiing over 20 hours with moderate usage.

There will always be a war between phones, it's just annoying how most of these reviews are biased. I don't dislike the iphone, i chose EVO over iphone 4 because of the freedom i get. I believe that this guy made an unfair comparison as the iphone is set up to be used w/out the need to do anything whereas the android is set up to be customized.

Upvote 0
I believe that this guy made an unfair comparison as the iphone is set up to be used w/out the need to do anything whereas the android is set up to be customized.

This is true, although I think Android handset makers need to find a better way to bridge this gap. Like many of you have said, the Evo out of the box dies in 4 hours. The problem is, many people don't even know that you can customize Android phones to the extend that you can. For casual consumers (read: not terribly tech savvy people) it appears that the phone is crap if it dies without them even doing anything. We know better, but I think this is where there is definitely room for improvement. These custom overlays (Sense, Motoblur, TouchWiz, etc.) need to not only work on making Android look more visually appealing and polished, but they also need to make it work for the people who are upgrading from a feature phone and are used to not worrying much about battery life.

Upvote 0
I knew I hated that guy, now I at least have a GREAT reason. What a crappy review. He basically shared NO INFORMATION WHATSOEVER other than in some possible usage pattern his EVO is using up battery faster than his iPhone. I'll admit now that I think iPhone batteries DO last longer but that is with NOTHING running in the background (yet, until iOS4) and also with other limitations and deficiencies which make it less usable than an Android device. Oh well, to each his own. At least it sounds like the Internet community isn't buying it either (he mentioned he's being savagely attacked on various social networking sites). So be it. He can enjoy his crappy iPhone and miss out on Android/EVO for all I care. :D

If anything, all we learned from his video is that he SUCKS at Android and battery life tricks, unlike many of us! :D

snap20100612_101330.png

My god, I would kill for battery life, in between charges, like that. What else do you do besides root it? I'm not sure I could trust myself rooting the phone. I'm too much of a noob on this phone. By the way, just kidding about the "kill" remark. :)

Upvote 0
This numbskull is comparing apples to oranges. Apple's non-multitasking operating system to Google multitasking operating system, so he fails out of the gate.

He also left multiple communication devices on the EVO. The bluetooth and the GPS are turned on for no apparent reason since he stated he did not even use the phone. Just another iPhone fanboy...

This is like comparing a Jetta and a Mustang 5.0 and complaining the gas mileage on the Mustang sucks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones