• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Droid my ultimate convergence device?

Well great big balls of fiar..... if they don't know then I should get all over it. lol

it uses the 3g through your phone, so there is not really a way for them to know. There is only one tethering app on the market that I know of, PDAnet. There is a free version that does not expire and only blocks secure websites. You will have to root your phone for full free tethering, and countless other things you can unlock.

Upvote 0
As avid Droid users, do you think I'll finally be able to converge to just one device when I buy a Droid?
As far as GPS is concerned, if you use it a lot in areas without data coverage you'll want to look for apps that store maps on the device. The Droid can certainly replace all your devices. Whether you're happy or not with it is another matter that you'll have to determine for yourself. Try it out and decide before the 30 days are up.

My BB 8310 was my first convergence device and I was very happy with it. That said, I'm much happier with the Droid.

Upvote 0
Incorrect. It's not hard for them to tell who is tethering. Enforcement is non-existent at the moment though.

OK, it is technically not hard for them to monitor their network, trying to catch thieving tetherers! But you have to start asking other questions. Just how many of Verizon's smart phone users are even going to try to tether? The percentage is VERY low. Most that want to tether are going to go through legitimate means to do it. In other words, pay for the service. So is Verizon going to spend the cash to have network admins sniff the bad guys out ... for a few measly bucks? I say, "No.".

Besides ... the fact is I very rarely tether. Really only when I have to. My main reason is when I go on vacation for two weeks, on the beach of Carolina, and I don't have any broadband at the condo. Last year, I USB tethered my RAZR ... worked "ok". But this year? YES!!! Full 3G wireless tether baby! :cool:

Upvote 0
OK, it is technically not hard for them to monitor their network, trying to catch thieving tetherers! But you have to start asking other questions. Just how many of Verizon's smart phone users are even going to try to tether? The percentage is VERY low. Most that want to tether are going to go through legitimate means to do it. In other words, pay for the service. So is Verizon going to spend the cash to have network admins sniff the bad guys out ... for a few measly bucks? I say, "No.".

Besides ... the fact is I very rarely tether. Really only when I have to. My main reason is when I go on vacation for two weeks, on the beach of Carolina, and I don't have any broadband at the condo. Last year, I USB tethered my RAZR ... worked "ok". But this year? YES!!! Full 3G wireless tether baby! :cool:

Yeah I agree, I don't think they see profit in monitoring yet. Look at how long AT&T has been threatening iPhone thetherererers (ererers) and done nothing to back up their threat. I just don't want people to fool themselves thinking that the are safe from a technical standpoint. It is for sure possible to do packet inspection, heck Comcast has already done it.

Upvote 0
The OP should know that while it is easy to tether and vzw doesn't monitor it, it is breaking the ToS to tether. It's true you likely won't "get caught" because they have no way of knowing and they don't monitor like that. But if you blow through the 5 GB allotment, I've seen on other forums people get warnings, get their data shut off, get ridiculous data charges, etc if they do suspect you of tethering. Plowing through the 5 GB of "unlimited data" is a way for them to suspect you of tethering and they can and will charge you for the data overage.

Not saying don't do it, just saying be aware that if you tether, you are in violation and you probably want to keep an eye on that 5 GB limit if you are tethering or not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones