1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Is everyone still happy with their Desire's? :)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ajh94, Apr 5, 2011.

1. ajh94

ajh94 Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Orange Telecomunications, Product marketing!
    Essex, UK
    Hey guys, Just a quick question out of general interest...

Are you still happy and satisfied with your HTC Desire despite the fact that there are now better phones such as the HTC Desire HD, Desire S, Incredible S and also phones that are in a lot of ways just as good such as the Samsung Galaxy S?

Also when are all your upgrades due and what do you plan on getting then? (HTC, Samsung, Android again, Don't mind etc...)?

Cheers guys :D

Advertisement

2. diS

diS Android Enthusiast
    None

May 24, 2010
    Student
    Belgium
    Mine is having motherboard issues. Rebooting everyday without me doing anything and then stays in a bootloop. Kinda annoying. That's why I'm going to buy the LG Optimus 2X or the SGS2 :)

But overall I'm very pleased with my Desire which I've got about 1 year now :)

3. Kibbster

Kibbster Android Expert
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    Bristol, UK
    Yes I am very happy with my Desire, but then only had it for just over a month ;)

4. GingaB

GingaB Android Expert
    None

Dec 26, 2010
    London, UK
    Lemme put it this way Ive never played with one gadget soooo much in my entire life! I bought this little beauty back in May last year and I still cant put my phone down! This phone keeps on surprising me! I have to admit I was dissapointed with Desire'e internal storage but rooting has sorted that problem out! Now I cant see myself upgrading for a while Im just going to update roms as they come out! :D

5. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Yes I love mine. Also I do not think the desire HD is better.

6. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    When I compare my Desire with some of the phones that my friends have (DHD, SGS, Arc, Desire Z), I recognize that there have been some improvements over the time.

However, there are 4 things why I keep my Desire:
    1) those improvements are not yet significant enough for me to change my phone,
    2) there are no significant shortcomings/issues that put Desire back. OS updates, ability to run almost any app, speed, cusom ROM availability, great user community - it is all still there!
    3) I have not seen yet any (dual-core) phone to dominate the market with a potential of creating another huge fan base.
    4) I like Desire very much. :)

7. ajh94

ajh94 Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Essex, UK
    I actually agree with all of you guys :D i am very happy with mine too.. also with it being a bit older there are more ROMs and more users.. and after all it was Phone of the year 2010 :D - thankyou all for your input :)

8. coos lick

coos lick Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Can't believe how useful it has been to have a computer in my pocket. Use it every day for doing things which i couldn't do on my old dumb phone. Got it in March last year, and have one year to go on contract. Been impressed by HTC, will definitely take a close look at what is available from them at upgrade time. Can't wait to see what gingerbread and the new Sense brings in the next couple of months! Going to probably root later in the year as well - not really felt the need to yet but it seems a shame not to.

9. ajh94

ajh94 Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Essex, UK
    yeah your right rooting does really make the most of the phone and fixes that annoying internal memory issue :D

10. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Yes, still happy with mine too - not yet seen anything that is very much better for my purposes.

I don't really have an upgrade date, since I buy phones outright and use a SIM-only tariff, but that also only makes sense if I don't change too often! Hence I tend to keep my devices longer than many, and need a real reason to change. It also means I try to choose devices carefully - and so far I feel it got it right this time. :)

ajh94 likes this.
  11. Okeephe

Okeephe Lurker
    None

Apr 5, 2011
    yes, it's a great PDA. What? It's supposed to be a phone? Mine has about 1/2 mile range.

12. ajh94

ajh94 Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Essex, UK
    for my next phone i was thinking of buying one outright then using Orange SIM only but im not sure.. i might just upgrade xD

13. williamj1

williamj1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 11, 2010
    UK
    I am very happy with mine.
    But, I am beginning to look at upgrades. Yet, after doing some research I really don't know what I would be upgrading to.

I have 3 complaints about my desire:
    1. Internal Memory - Rooted fixed this, but still not perfect.
    2. Battery Life
    3. Camera

Now obviously, 1 has been solved. But the likes of the nexus s really offer no better performance than my desire on 2 and 3. Likewise, the desire s or even the incredible s. I'm not fused about the number of megapixels, I'm fussed about the quality. They look no better.

So, I am one of those who like to have "the newest thing". Trouble is, there is nothing worth upgrading to. Sighs.

14. GingaB

GingaB Android Expert
    None

Dec 26, 2010
    London, UK
    Same here! I dont get sucked in by the whole "megapixels wars" Its a load of crapola! 5 megapixels camera does a great job infact whats really lacking is a decent lens and flash. I cant stand the LED flash its awful! Xenon Flash was outstanding on Sony Ericsson k800i few years ago why havent the mobile industry picked up on that??

15. ffooky

ffooky Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    Still delighted with it after a year but still not satisfied with:

a) The sound from the speaker
    b) The dreadful codec used for the audio recording
    c) The insufficient internal memory, though rooting has made it just about acceptable if I'm ruthless with which apps I keep.

I will probably upgrade when my contract runs out next spring but it looks like I'll have to lose the trackball which i will definitely miss.

16. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    England
    I normally would have sold my phone by now(13 months in) and bought something different,so I must be happy with it.:D

17. gpa4472

gpa4472 Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2011
    car
    caracas
    6 months now with mine.
    Last week decided to finally root (was going crazy with memory issue) and now I can see myself with this phone for another 2 years easily.
    I'm not the latest toy kind of person as long as it does what I need done and my desire excels at it.

18. ak29

ak29 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    Toronto
    Although I had a major issue with my deisre within the first 6 weeks. The phones proximity sensor stoped working causing the screen to remain blank and I couldn't end my calls. Anyway the phone was repaired and I have been very happy since. This was the first phone I bought out right with no contract also the most expensive phone I have ever owned. I wasn't happy with the internal memory and like others mentioned rooting seemed to fix most of that problem. I dont see myself upgrading until there is a desire like phone from htc which is dual core and has 1gb of ram and tons of internal storage.

19. williamj1

williamj1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 11, 2010
    UK
    +1. I still have my K800i. I am honestly convinced it STILL takes better photos than pretty much all the smartphones today. And it was released almost 5 years ago. Everything about the pictures was just good. Depth of field, proper vivid colours, sharp and happy photos! All my desire photos look dull, washed out and sad. Yes, I could adjust the colours, and yes, I should probably pop out that little bit of plastic on the back - but the point is, I shouldn't have to. And that's without flash. With flash on, it makes everything so bright you'd have been as well covering the lens with your finger. Focus speed is good though, I'll just press the...oh wait! Where is my physical shutter button? :mad:

I don't get phone companies. The K800i was one hell of a popular phone. Yet how many of SE's current smartphones live up to that? And it would appear the same for the rest.

20. diegox

diegox Member
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    I love my desire, have had it for about six months now, but am looking forward to the pyramid (i'm in t-mobile US). I want a phone that has a better camera, better battery, better display (even though my desire's slcd is fantastic), dual-core, and latest software, as well as a better-than-2g connection, which is what is have on t-mo. What can i say, i love the bleeding edge of tech =)

21. DNick

DNick Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 10, 2010
    I really love my Desire. It does everything I want it to. Does it have niggles...yeah. The camera, the touch screen. But that's about it. I can't root mine (which does suck), yet I still can easily get through my day on my battery. There is not a phone on the market (in the US, that I would take above it. Perfect size IMO. I don't need a giant evo 4g or some other nonsense. I adore my Desire.

22. Abdur

Abdur Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 30, 2010
    I love it. Nothing too bad except internal memory. Durable, tough, awesome. :D

23. 1981

1981 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 17, 2010
    One great phone this is. Have had it 11 months now and still not got bored of it really.
    The only negatives to me,
    1-the internal memory is way too low, gets really annoying especially since i havent rooted, it seems bit complicated to me.
    2-the camera is no good.

24. ajh94

ajh94 Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Essex, UK
    I agree.. I have had mine for 6 months now.. I bought it outright for quite alot but used my existing contract SIM so I will get an upgrade still. I do love my Desire but as alot of people said, camera, internal memory, battery life, and speaker could be better :p but overall really great phone :D

25. SiHa

SiHa Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 29, 2010
    Southampton, UK.
    Deliriously happy.

...OK, that's maybe overstating it a little, but I've had my phone for *checks date* blimey, exactly year now, and I still love it. I don't play games on it much now, or fiddle with it that much, but it gets a lot of use. My home PC hardly ever gets turned on now, even when I do I generally don't bother opening up Outlook.

It's my smartphone, so I can't compare it's flaws to any others, but I think its a great piece of kit. The memory thing is a bit of an issue, but not so much so that I've bothered rooting and ROM'ing.

Desire HD = Bigger screen, same resolution as Desire.

How the fk is that HD???

Tags: