• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Facebook Evil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thought is, its a business. It's what businesses do. They want to integrate it with your life while at the same time making it easier to do so. This works well for most users, myself included, but most power users/geeks don't like it (I am a geek that likes this feature :p)

They don't take us into account they think "over 50% of people have a fb, why WOULDN'T they want it to auto sync?!" So its not entirely their fault, just their thought process is off..

Upvote 0
I'm just resenting the statements from some of the gung-ho social users that those of us who don't give a damn and don't post personal stuff are terrorists.

I completely agree!

I too have no interest sharing details of my personal life with the world.

I will admit that I am connected to G+, but my profile has no personal details, which is the way I plan on keeping it. I basically us my G+ account in a similar way I use this site, and other forum sites, to share my thoughts.

Upvote 0
If we all complain then maybe Google will listen and it appears that they have listened :) Hopefully all these unnecessary permissions can be denied and turned off.

Hidden permissions manager found in Android 4.3, lets you set the rules

appops.jpg

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
I avoid Facebook like I avoid a plague. It also makes it easier for someone to dig up dirt on you.

Examples: If a potential employer finds a forgotten pic of you getting wasted at a club one weekend, or your lover seeing pics of your ex, how will that make you look?

To me, FB is nothing but bad news all around.

Upvote 0
Installing an Android app brings up a permissions prompt that most folks ignore (though they probably shouldn't). But, what if you could grant applications access to some parts of your smartphone and not others? That's something Android Police have discovered is already baked into Android 4.3, and it's called "Apps Ops." The feature is hidden by default, but can easily be enabled via a third-party app in the Play Store, which brings it to life and allows you to fine tune other apps' permissions to read your contacts, access your location via GPS, or even read your call log. This is a buried feature and we have no idea if and when it'll be officially activated, but it looks like Google's pledge for better privacy could mean more than just an incognito mode.

What we also need is an option for an ON/OFF Switch to prevent third-part applications from accessing other applications and from acting as account manager to access those applications/accounts. These days we have the government asking Google for passwords too.

Feds tell Web firms to turn over user account passwords | Politics and Law - CNET News

Are the Feds Asking Tech Companies for User Passwords? - Conor Friedersdorf - The Atlantic

In the past it used to be a thing for Financial companies to open up on some Cayman Island but it may be good for tech companies to now open up on some other island or countries where they may be protected from handing over private information. In the US they could be blackmailed or placed under pressure to handing over personal info.

Upvote 0
Firefox is now testing sharing your interests with web sites. Everyone is in an uproar, and I don't know how this would affect mobile version.

As for FB, I have an account, check the pics of one friend's kid and then email her.
My kid tends to post pics there instead of dropbox, so I check those. Anything personal gets an email.

I got the account under assumed everything. I simply DON'T want to have people from high school, or wherever we lived find me. I didn't care then, and I don't care now.

Upvote 0
I hate facebook, I use it when I have too for applications but the social side of it is just annoying most of the time.

Seeing kids constantly on phones huddled up near a charge point for hours on end is just depressing, how is this good for them and why do parents allow this?

Anyway, yes facebook is evil but if it wasn't facebook it would be something else.

Upvote 0
Really? I only use Yahoo mail for spam and groups. Use FX with Noscript and Ghostery plus private browsing. I also turn off all images on Yahoo. Both Windows 7 and Ubuntu.

Log in>allow Yahoo, YIMG> read mail> turn of YIMG, read groups> turn YIMG on and log out> forbid Yahoo and YIMG, read front page> check Ghostery to see who is tracking, turn off any new ones> leave Yahoo. Yes, it is a lot of extra clicking, but I'm spiteful. I get a big announcement on page to log out about posting a picture and making it private. I have some very nice pics of my cat's butt that I took for the vet when the cat had an anal gland problem. Wonder if they'd like that?

Could be that your private mode is system, mine is browser.

FB won't post odd locations. I tried "east of the sun and west of the moon" which is a true location at full moon. FB don't like it. So far I haven't seen any crap about adding friends. I stuck "not interested in solicited friends" in there which is another comment FB won't post.

Upvote 0
This is disturbing...

http://dacula.patch.com/articles/are-non-facebook-users-suspicious

According to this if you don't have a Facebook, you might be suspicious and might not get hired...

WTF! How about just wanting a little personal privacy.

This is true and unfortunately recruiters are going to keep doing this, it was something like 80 percent of organisations that that were engaged in "social recruiting". I personally don't agree with this but there's not much you can do apart from tweaking your privacy settings. Since we already have LinkedIn I don't see why recruiters need to look through Facebook.

Upvote 0
The world is evil.
By extension of that fact all social networks are evil.
They facilitate the animosity and hate that the world seems intent to pursue.

I do not/will not use any social network for the above reasons, not to mention how big a waste of time they are.
Adequately moderated forums such as this one are an exception.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Not if you root the phone! You can also put a piece of electrical tape over it. Same for a laptop and tablet.

Kids seem to be moving to Snapchat. I read that it only allows messages for a certain time, then deletes them. If so, the kids are smarter or more eager to get away from their parents on FB.

I've read that those pictures don't actually get deleted permanently but it's stored in temp files or something. Also the option of screen capture kinda makes the main feature of that app useless since someone could just do that if they really wanted to save a picture.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones