• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is FAT32 the best to fix errors?

Eradik

Lurker
Mar 29, 2010
So the original sd card I got with my MyTouch 3g 3.5mm kept unmounted itself after anywhere from a few hours to half a day. I had to reboot the phone to get it to recognize it again. So today I bought a new San disk 4gb card and put it in, and it ended up doing the same thing.

I don't own a card reader to format it to Fat32, so before I spend the time troubleshooting rather than exchange the phone, could this really be the issue? I've seen it recommended on here before, I guess I just don't know why it world make a difference. Doesn't the mytouch format it to its own format when you turn it on and it says "preparing sd card"?

(Edit: When I mount the device, in My Computer it shows it as Fat32 already... so I don't know what to do)

Thanks everyone,

-Erik

You can format with your phone plugged in with the regular cord to the computer. Mount your phone, and from your computer format your SD card by right clicking on the SD and just selecting format, make sure its FAT32, this is by way of Windows. But this should help, if it doesn't buy a new SD card - I'd suggest 8GB class 6 or 16GB if you feel like it. 8GBs are around $20, not too much and easy to swing. Here are some examples Toprams are cheaper, and Transcend a bit more than $20, but better quality.

If formatting by way of your computer or by way of your phone doesn't work, then I would get a new card, if the problem persists, take it to Tmobile and they will replace it for sure!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones