• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is flawless bluetooth music even possible?

Every 10 or 15 or 20 minutes the audio skips/cuts out for a half a second.
Happens on 4 different bluetooth connections: 2016 Denon AVR, 2016 Mazda CX5, 2014 Kenwood car stereo, 2013 Samsung sound bar.
Happened on my HTC One M8 (Lollipop).
Happens now on my Droid Turbo 2 (Marshmallow).
Happens with all apps: Google Play Music, Power Amp, GoneMad, Sirius Radio, even sleepy sounds apps.
There is no problem if I use wired connection.

It's very noticeable and very annoying. I take long drives at work, sometimes 5 or 6 hours of driving a day. Like clockwork, the audio drops/cuts out for a second, at least two or three times an hour. I listen to Sirius app via my phone at home on my Denon AVR, same symptom. I take a drive in my Mazda to run errands around town, same symptom. I go to sleep trying a few different sleepy sounds apps, same symptom.

Am I just unlucky on the hardware that I am using, or is bluetooth just glitchy, or am I expecting too much? Am I the only one that has this issue?

This has been tried on 6 different makes, WiFi on, off no difference same issues. My car is a 2016 Chevy Malibu, same Bluetooth stuttering as in my 2013 Malibu. Same as my cousins Ford, Chrysler, it's just not working as they claim it will. All different makes of phones, cars, apps, but I did hear iPhone has no stuttering issues.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I accidentally posted this in another "brand" forum. I wanted to post it here to see if it would grow any legs here....

Looks like this skipping stuff has been going on for years now...with no real fix for all. I recently had to replace a stolen stereo unit in my vehicle. I had a Pioneer unit #FH-X720BT for several years with NO problems at all...perfect playback and quick connections to Bluetooth. I purchased the "replacement" model #FH-X731BT and immediately had very slow reconnects and a terrible case of the audio skipping on play back. Nothing else had changed..same phone,same vehicle, all conditions exactly the same. I also had purchased a Kenwood unit for a replacement in another vehicle. Same result...slow connections and skips so much that BT can not be used for playback. I do use the same phone and player to listen to music through several other devices with no problems at all. A cheep little FM adapter, a Ankar BT speaker, a Logitech BT adapter for my home system. All with no problems at all.The automotive units are all BT 3.0, the fm adapter is 2.1,and the Ankar is 4.0. So version of BT does not seem to come in to play for this problem. I did try an older Motorola G and it played fine with the newer unit that skipped with my present phone.
I have compared the published BT specs between my old Pioneer unit and the new one that skips, but nothing stands out, but something has to be different. Maybe someone can take a look a these specs and discern a difference between the two. I think if we knew what changed between these two units that we might have a real answer to this problem.
I did send the newer model back and purchased the same model as my prior unit, and everything is good again!
And,BTW.. I did try ALL the "fixes" that are listed here and elsewhere with NO success.
Anyone else have experiences with a particular unit ???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones