1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support is froyo out on orange

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by steeharry, Jan 14, 2011.

1. steeharry

steeharry Member
    None

Aug 31, 2010
    just got off the phone to orange.they said froyo was released 4 days ago.kies 2 still says this devices version cannot be updated.anyone else in the same boat.

Advertisement

2. antoeknee

antoeknee Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 23, 2010
    Network Manager
    NW England
    I've a SGS on Orange and when I connected to KEIS a few days ago I got Froyo.

3. blackbird rider

None

Nov 10, 2010
    I still get a message saying my device cannot be updated!

4. andy-roid

andy-roid Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 25, 2010
    wombwell uk

take it back to where you got the phone from as it could be faulty

5. blackbird rider

None

Nov 10, 2010
    In response to a question to Orange, they replied as below. The odd thing is that on following the link, their site says that FROYO has been released and tells you to install Kies etc in order to upgrade. I just don't know what to believe!

Hello Peter

Thank you for your email regarding your Samsung Galaxy S i9000 handset.

I am sorry to learn that you are unaware of our process regarding firmware updates for Orange phones. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

I would like to advise that Orange customers are not able to obtain firmware updates direct from Samsung themselves, this is due to the Orange branding that you have on your phone that allows you to use this on our network.

Please find below a link to our website where you are able to check in the future if an update via Orange has been released.

http://www2.orange.co.uk/servlet/Sa...96364420640&product=Feature&t=Product&tabid=1

Be aware that your handset may not be available on the listings until if or when an update is released.

When a new update is made available by a handset manufacturer they will pass a version of this to Orange so that we can run the required tests to confirm that this update they have released will co-exist with the Orange branding that you are required to use on your phone.

It is possible that the new update that is released may not co-exist with the Orange branding and thus we will not be able to release the update for the Samsung Galaxy S i9000, if they can not co-exist and we were to release this to your phone, this could effectively be detrimental to your handset and Orange will not process for this reason.

If the update version can not co-exist with the Orange branding then we will wait for Samsung to release a new update to which we will restart the testing process accordingly.

Be aware that it is not possible to advise of any estimated timescale for the testing of this update by Orange, furthermore, we can not guarantee that an update will be released at all regarding the Samsung Galaxy S i9000 as the updates that could be released may never work alongside the Orange branding on the phone.

Because some of this information is speculative and based on situations regarding the testing of updates that may or may not ever be released by Samsung and the time it takes to complete the testing of the new updates, please accept my sincere apologies that we can not be more specific regarding your query.

As with the current Android update it has been released via an Over-The-Air format, this may be the situation for the the next available update, but this method we will not be able to confirm until the update is valid for Orange UK handset users when it has been released.

Please be advised that the answers to many common queries can be found in the Frequently Asked Questions section in the Help and Support option on the Home page of our website.

Mobile Phones | Broadband & Mobile Broadband UK Deals | Free Web Email | Orange.co.uk

I trust this information clarifies your query.

Kind regards

Ih4teKies and steeharry like this.
  6. steeharry

steeharry Member
    None

Aug 31, 2010
    thanks for the info. still cant update. think ill take it back to where i bought it and get them to sort it.

7. blackbird rider

None

Nov 10, 2010
    I bought my phone from the local Orange shop (and I don't mean Tesco :D)

When I went in and asked them about FROYO a week or so ago they were completely unhelpful. I suspect if I go and ask if my phone is faulty they will just try to fob me off. In any event, I do wonder whether FROYO is so great considering all the issues with it that people report in other threads on here. With 2.1, at least my phone works!

8. antoeknee

None

Aug 23, 2010
    Network Manager
    NW England
  9. antoeknee

None

Aug 23, 2010
    Network Manager
    NW England
    Further to asking if Froyo is worth the update.

From my experinece so far it's a defo yes.

Benefits so far:

improved battery life
    GPS seems better - used a couple of times and lock achieved very quickly and not dropped
    wireless performance seems more stable

Of course there is the ability to move apps to the SD card as well.

10. blackbird rider

None

Nov 10, 2010
  11. antoeknee

None

Aug 23, 2010
    Network Manager
    NW England
    Well thats the way I recieved the update i.e. through Kies

12. wobble99

wobble99 Member
    None

Jan 8, 2011
    UK
    I also got it through Kies but I advise everyone not to update to Froyo on a Orange branded handset. I have now had two and, in both cases, the update has caused several new problems and Orange can't/won't fix it.

13. blackbird rider

None

Nov 10, 2010
    . Interesting!

I have finally taken the plunge followed a You Tube video and rooted and lag fixed my phone. Quadrant standard result has gone from about 800 to over 1900. Think I might stick with 2.1 and hope that Gingerbread is released for Orange and works!