• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is Google Chat Voice Available?

Per the leaked XOOM manual, you can Voice Chat (VoIP) and Video Chat to other Google Chat members on PCs or XOOMs.

yep i saw that. what i'm talking about is the calling feature that google rolled out over the summer that enables you to call any phone in the u.s. for free using voip. its browser based voip from within gmail. the answer to this is huge to me and will likely determine whether or not i buy a xoom...

edit: this...

http://www.google.com/chat/voice/

Upvote 0
can someone with a xoom please answer this question?

No. When you open the app its not an option. I tried opening it in the browser but it looks like the mobile site. Can't get it to load the nin mobile site.

Edit just got the non mobile to work in the browser. Still a no go. Google talk is not even in the side panel. Gogle labs isn't an option there either.

Upvote 0
From what I heard, and this is just rumor at this point, is that they are working on finishing the VOIP functionality of GV before releasing. They want that working as well as texting to be an ultimate communication device.

Like I said just speculative and rumor at this point. But I would not put it passed them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones