• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is it actually a bad thing

First, if you had an EVO you could talk. Secondly, if you could afford an EVO and a 1750 MaH lithium ion battery from Seidio, the directions from the Japanese company that makes there batteries will tell you how to charge the battery for 8-11 hours. It will tell you to continue charging passed the green light. Tell me how I can plug in the battery and after 30 minutes the battery is charged already. That's because the battery is telling the phone its fully charged but it isn't. When people were using coordless phones they tell you to plug the coordless phone in for up to 8 hours before use. Same premise!

Upvote 0
A. Most cordless phones don't use Lithium Ion batteries. They use nickel-based ones, which should be charged for an extended period.
B. So the company who makes Seido batteries tells you the same bollocks that Seido does. Can't imagine why that is!
C. You said it was an article, not some words from you.
D. When the phone says it's fully charged, it's not the battery saying that. The battery only reports its current mV. The OS has to make that distinction, not the battery. If the battery was saying it was charged when it was not, it wouldn't charge because the circuits would refuse to charge. You can't force-charge these batteries (without blowing them up or damaging the circuits, at least).
E. I have an EVO, and having a Seido battery isn't really relevant to the conversation. Of course, having an EVO isn't truly relevant either, since the facts don't change whether I have one or not.

Upvote 0
I actually have a Ph.D in Electronic Engineering and in Aerospace Engineering. I work at Boeing and help design alot of battery powered parts for planes. And from what I have learned it really depends upon the company supplying the battery, and the process of how they make them. So both of you can't be proven correct or wrong at the moment. You have to keep diggin for more specific details on how the battery is manufactured.

I'm suspect about an anonymous poster's qualifications but ok then.

We have a known entity, the manufacturer(s) of the batteries we're dealing with. And, it doesn't really matter as in this case the technologies involved with producing these batteries is in fact identical. This is a known value.

The basic tenets of LI battery technology is exactly the same, 4.2v as a voltage threshold so I am not quite sure where you are coming from, qualifications notwithstanding.

Upvote 0
A. Most cordless phones don't use Lithium Ion batteries. They use nickel-based ones, which should be charged for an extended period.
B. So the company who makes Seido batteries tells you the same bollocks that Seido does. Can't imagine why that is!
C. You said it was an article, not some words from you.
D. When the phone says it's fully charged, it's not the battery saying that. The battery only reports its current mV. The OS has to make that distinction, not the battery. If the battery was saying it was charged when it was not, it wouldn't charge because the circuits would refuse to charge. You can't force-charge these batteries (without blowing them up or damaging the circuits, at least).
E. I have an EVO, and having a Seido battery isn't really relevant to the conversation. Of course, having an EVO isn't truly relevant either, since the facts don't change whether I have one or not.

Initialize a new battery
. New batteries should be fully charged before their first use to obtain maximum capacity. Nickel-based batteries should be charged for 16 hours initially and run through 2-4 full charge/full discharge cycles, while lithium ion batteries should be charged for about 5-6 hours. Ignore the phone telling you that the battery is full--this is normal but is not accurate if the battery is not initialized. #DO NOT fully discharge a lithium-ion battery! Unlike Ni-Cd batteries, lithium-ion batteries' life is shortened every time you fully discharge them. Instead, charge them when the battery meter shows one bar left. Lithium-ion batteries, like most rechargeable batteries, have a set number of charges in them.[1]

Upvote 0
Seidio invests in extensive research to find the best and most powerful battery components on the market. We carefully select top quality Japanese cells for our batteries to ensure the highest level of safety, quality, and performance. Our research, knowledge, and expertise give us the ability to create batteries that provide maximum capacity in their comparable space. This large capacity Innocell Extended Life Battery is for the avid traveler who can't always get to a charger. Even with heavy phone and data usage, this battery will keep you charged and ready to go. In order to obtain the full capacity of your Seidio battery, we highly recommend that you leave the battery/your phone on the charger for an additional 2-3 hours after the charging indicator turns green or the battery status shows full.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/193957-actually-bad-thing.html#post1708388

Source #2 LOL....somebody is wrong!

Upvote 0
So basically the same wikiHow nonsense article you linked before, instead of the supposed:

"the directions from the Japanese company that makes there batteries will tell you how to charge the battery for 8-11 hours"

Yeah, you're not selling yourself too well here.

I'm sensing that as well. And I'm thinking there's a blending of 2 different battery styles being brought in here. Simply quoting Jordan's WikiHow article isn't going to cut it. I doubt they have a huge staff dedicated to vetting the accuracy of each and every article posted.

Also, not sure if Slick was posting the comment at me but I have an Evo and, well, 4 other handsets plus an aircard. As a matter of fact I pretty much handle every single handset made for use in the US that access data services through every major carrier and some lesser carriers. I dropped my service with VZW after a frustrating and expensive 22 year relationship with them and during that time I had dozens of different handsets so the basis for my information is pretty robust.

Upvote 0
So you whole argument rests on a supposed quote from Seido, a well known shady battery seller.

*cough* BatteryBoss Calls Out False Capacity Claims! *cough*

ahem...hehehe

A forward-looking statement is a statement that cannot sustain itself as merely a historical fact. A forward-looking statement predicts, projects, or uses future events as expectations or possibilities.

Does Seido's claims at all resemble the part I just quoted above???

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Wow, two individuals with a low number of thanks allocated between them. Apparently my advice/instructions actually help others because I know what I'm talking about. When one of you guys can carry a job at the NSA...give me a call. Otherwise, you are weekend warriors on androidforum.com.

So, the basis for your entire argument is predicated upon the number of thanks a particular contributor has on a message board?

We've provided evidence to the contrary, didn't get personal with you (you did repeatedly) and attempted to keep the discussion in a civil manner. While I do enjoy watching others dig ever deeper holes this is becoming tiresome and boring now.

If you wish to continue in a more adult manner please, proceed. You posit the WikiHow article is accurate and truthful and when presented with evidence to the contrary, failing any other logical argument, you fall on the tried and true "but but but but thanks" are THE final word as your next talking point. A logical fallacy in every sense.

Really, we've already covered that this is a fatally flawed argument. Just give it up already.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately Oddball it seems he's just another victim of the Dunning Kruger effect. I wash my hands of this thread until he can post some proper response.

Wow, that brings back some memories from my college days:)

Agreed though, i'm done debating this. Even if I never convince anyone else i've done the research and found the claims in the threads/articles/battery suppliers to be wholly inaccurate.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones