• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it all my fault? (Must read!)

gloriousnumber1

Android Expert
Aug 22, 2010
Portland, Oregon
So, before I say anymore, I will tell all of you that I AM NOT and never have been on any drugs or such substances that could cause my brain to turn to jelly.

I have had to replace my Galaxy S4 three times in 6 months. I replaced my RAZR Maxx 4 times in less than a year. I replaced my OG Droid once and before that, my Env2 five times. One time I dropped the Env2 in water but all other times were hardware issues and were not my fault or caused by abuse or any such thing.

I also notice that I sometimes walk or drive by lights (mainly street lights) and they either turn on or off depending on which they are at that moment. I also cause people at work to lose signal on satellite radio (outdoors on car radios).

I think I might have an extremely crazy explanation.

Could I somehow be causing electronic devices to malfunction because of my own self? Is this too SciFi? Yes it is! I may be even more crazy than I thought.

Reactions: Member243850
Okay, I know it is easy to make light of this issue since most of us don't have this happen, but my daughter has always caused perfectly good electronics to go crazy. I swear, she can take a perfectly functioning brand new phone, charger, blender, headset, and even car, that I or my husband have used for a very short time, and within days, it will no longer function as it did when I, or my husband, used it. I really do think it may be some electronically emitted signal that certain people put out. It happens often in our house with our daughter, but only with her.

Upvote 0
Okay, I know it is easy to make light of this issue since most of this don't have this happen, but my daughter has always caused perfectly good electronics to go crazy. I swear, she can take a perfectly functioning brand new phone, charger, blender, headset, and even car, that I or my husband have used for a very short time, and within days, it will no longer function as it did when I, or my husband, used it. I really do think it may be some electronically emitted signal that certain people put out. It happens often in our house with our daughter, but only with her.

I know I kid, but you should see what I do to watch batteries.:(:rolleyes:

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
I moved this to the lounge so other folks could help with your paranormal abilities.:p

Thanks! It may be partly because of using the same Powerade bottle for 2-3 years including freezing water in it nightly that messed me up. I hear that's dangerous because of chemicals, typical hippie crap in my neck of the woods. I find it particularly ironic that someone at work who smokes cigarettes told me this. I told her what she does is also dangerous and it's all a choice. I believe we should all choose what we expose ourselves to. Actually it did this before but not the phone part. However I'm dumping the bottle because it's kinda not doing well, unrelated to this issue.

We can laugh and should, but at this point it seems interesting at the least that I replaced my Razr Maxx 3 times and Galaxy S4 two times because of the headphone jack but not the same problem with it. I'm not someone that believes in luck as it's own entity or force. However even if I did, I wouldn't consider myself "unlucky".

Upvote 0
damewolf13 is right some people have some type of magnetism or something that prematurely kills small electronics. My wife has killed several watches, ipods and a few phones simply by carrying them in a pocket. LCD screens freak out and battery life for her is dismal as well. With her latest phone being kept in her purse it has lasted more than a year. She played angry birds on my phone and the battery went from 88% to 49% in about half an hour. I can play the same game for more than an hour and only lose 10%.

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
1.. buy an iphone.. see how long they work.. because everyone says they just work! and quality is #1.

2.. I personally think it is a brain frequency that we put out when we are stressed. this frequency scrambles electronics. some produce higher amp than others of this particular brain-stress-frequency.
think about it.. how often are you in dire need of something.. fax, copy, printer, phone, car..etc... and because you are all stressed out, that product decides at that time to NOT work!! or freeze!!!

example: yesterday... at my kids 4th grade xmas choir performance.
my brand new Samsung Note3.. 2 weeks old..
I am next to my ex-wife.. she pulls out her iphone 5s to record..
I want this capture this moment too!!! comes out the N3.
turn on.. unlock.. touch camera icon.
NOTHING!!! Phone locks!!!
put back to sleep.. wake.. message "sorry camera has stop responding"
close it.. try it again... NO worky worky!!!!
forget it.. put it in pocket.. I am too upset to try anything else.
of course.. it has been working fine since then!!!!

Upvote 0
Uh Oh .....

conspiracy-theory
conspiracy-theory

Upvote 0
The idea that some people give off some kind of technology-destroying magnetic field is pseudoscience with a healthy dose of confirmation bias.

I think some people misunderstand the term brainwaves, and think that humans are walking antennas or something. The only electromagnetic wave we output is infrared (which imparts heat into whatever it hits, not a current).

A brain'wave' is simply a graph output by an EEG, showing the electric charge of the scalp over time. It rises and falls over time in a wave-like pattern, according to the frequency of nerve impulses in the brain. There is no actual electrical wave. The charge of the scalp is (at least according to wikipedia) between 10 to 100 microVolts, or 0.00001 - 0.0001 Volts. Not enough to damage your electronics, I think you'd agree.

So, what could it be? You certainly can get a very significant static charge building up on the body through friction with your environment - something in the order of a few kilovolts, if I recall correctly. And that definitely does damage electrical components, if you remove the casing and touch them directly. Again, there's no wave being given off here - direct contact is needed. You won't be seeing arcs of static jumping between you and the streetlight you drove past, for example - you'd have to rip the cover off, stick your hand in and hope you hit a particularly delicate component.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
The idea that some people give off some kind of technology-destroying magnetic field is pseudoscience with a healthy dose of confirmation bias.

I think some people misunderstand the term brainwaves, and think that humans are walking antennas or something. The only electromagnetic wave we output is infrared (which imparts heat into whatever it hits, not a current).

A brain'wave' is simply a graph output by an EEG, showing the electric charge of the scalp over time. It rises and falls over time in a wave-like pattern, according to the frequency of nerve impulses in the brain. There is no actual electrical wave. The charge of the scalp is (at least according to wikipedia) between 10 to 100 microVolts, or 0.00001 - 0.0001 Volts. Not enough to damage your electronics, I think you'd agree.

So, what could it be? You certainly can get a very significant static charge building up on the body through friction with your environment - something in the order of a few kilovolts, if I recall correctly. And that definitely does damage electrical components, if you remove the casing and touch them directly. Again, there's no wave being given off here - direct contact is needed. You won't be seeing arcs of static jumping between you and the streetlight you drove past, for example - you'd have to rip the cover off, stick your hand in and hope you hit a particularly delicate component.

What a party pooper!:p
You're that guy who's invite got lost in the mail!
Blasted scientific geniuses! Sheesh!!;):D

Reactions: s4stroked
Upvote 0
When we first got the Infiniti, I could make the alarm go off by doing nothing.
Now it doesn't do it, but the car is a 1994 and either one or both of us could be worn out. My Tacoma doesn't have the bells and whistles.

I think some of it is static. We have a very dry climate to begin with, and forced air heat doesn't help. I can tell how haywire things will go just by looking at the cats.
Static is bad, their fur looks funny. I had one cat that must have enjoyed static or knew it would get my attention. He'd roll on the rug and then come over and put a paw on me and do it until I did what he wanted. Sometimes food, other times attention.

Upvote 0
1.. buy an iphone.. see how long they work.. because everyone says they just work! and quality is #1.

2.. I personally think it is a brain frequency that we put out when we are stressed. this frequency scrambles electronics. some produce higher amp than others of this particular brain-stress-frequency.
think about it.. how often are you in dire need of something.. fax, copy, printer, phone, car..etc... and because you are all stressed out, that product decides at that time to NOT work!! or freeze!!!

example: yesterday... at my kids 4th grade xmas choir performance.
my brand new Samsung Note3.. 2 weeks old..
I am next to my ex-wife.. she pulls out her iphone 5s to record..
I want this capture this moment too!!! comes out the N3.
turn on.. unlock.. touch camera icon.
NOTHING!!! Phone locks!!!
put back to sleep.. wake.. message "sorry camera has stop responding"
close it.. try it again... NO worky worky!!!!
forget it.. put it in pocket.. I am too upset to try anything else.
of course.. it has been working fine since then!!!!

I realize that many people like the i-poop fruit phones and prefer them. They are mostly responsible for motivating all other manufacturers to innovate and create competition and I am very grateful for that. However I want removable storage and I can wipe my own rear end so I don't need my phone to do it. Also I love the back button and LED notification light. I would rather go back to a dumb phone then bite the fruit. However I have considered this and come to the conclusion that I have actual useful reasons to need a smart phone. I don't play games on it and I don't have FB, IG, Twitter, or anything on it.

Upvote 0
This is a true story honest. For many years I did IT support. So its shift change one afternoon one of the gentleman walked up to me and explained that he picks up radio stations all the time with no radio? He then went on to ask if it could be his dental work? He even claimed he could change stations. I guess because I work on computers he thought I could fix it.....lol? True story honest:thinking:

So a little time goes by and he comes back to me. He then explains that he had read on the internet of this. I just wondered if he could change stations by turning his head:p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones