1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root Is it bad if I manually updated to 2.2 while I was rooted?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hakoreh, Aug 31, 2010.

1. hakoreh

hakoreh Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2010
    NY
    So I did unrevoked yesterday, found the update today, and manually upgraded to Froyo but in my excitement I forgot to unroot. Is that bad? I mean the phone works though lags and that's why I wanted to remove the bloatware but seems when I go to recovery I get a triangle exclamation point - so what do I do?

Advertisement

2. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    its not bad, but now you cant re-root since you didnt do unrevoked forever for s-off.

hakoreh likes this.
  3. hakoreh

Mar 4, 2010
    NY
    then why do i get the exclamation point going to recovery? and i guess i have to wait for 2.2 to be rooted like the evo was?

i can't go back to 2.1 and do unrevoked forever?

question though why do i see superuser permissions in my app drawer if i'm not rooted?

4. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    I don't know any details about the root side of things really, so I can't help you out there.

However: The lag is almost surely caused by updating to 2.2 without a wipe, and not the "bloatware". Doing a factory reset seems to fix this.

hakoreh likes this.
  5. hakoreh

Mar 4, 2010
    NY
    i'll try that though i definitely want root back to stop things like city ID and skype mobile from starting on its own. i mean really why would verizon include vz navigator with a phone that already has google navigation on it what idiot would spend the $10 a month

6. lafester

lafester Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    how did you install the update?
    do you have clockwork or not?

we need answers to these questions lol.

7. joemega2010

joemega2010 Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Student
    Ohio
    Did you have S-Off before you updated?

8. Angels Punishment

Angels Punishment Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2010
    They pushed 2.2 to me and I accepted with S-Off. It wont install though. Just get the exclamation mark. Now how do I get it to install now that I downloaded it? I'm in the process of unrooting but is there a way to start the install again? When I check for updates it says I'm up to date at 2.1.

I formatted the SD card and downgraded. Now I need to know where the downloaded OTA is and where to start it please

9. hakoreh

Mar 4, 2010
    NY
    I had clockwork, booted into recovery and applied
    the update, and it rebooted. So I know I don't have root but I still have super user permissions in the app drawer. But when I boot into recovery now, I get the red exclamation.