• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is it bad to do something like leave the camera on for the purpose of draining it quickly?

cabbie

Android Expert
Mar 23, 2010
I'm attempting this calibration method: Troubleshooting - CyanogenMod Wiki

When calibrating before, I didn't clear the battery stats, i just did the charge to green, pull charger and let it drain, then just to green etc

So this is where I am with this method: charged to full, booted into recovery, wiped battery stats, rebooted, let home screens populate fully and pulled charger.

So now i need to have the phone drain to 0 so it shuts down. If I do something like leave the camera open or other things that drain the battery, will that negatively affect the physical condition of the battery (as in, losing overall capacity) ?

With Li-Ion, you want to avoid draining it to zero. There's a chance it never charges back up.

Typically this worst case scenario only happens when you drain it to zero and then you let it sit like that for a prolonged period, where it slow drains its built-in reserve. If you charge it immediately after it dies, it should be ok. The camera may shut off before it detects the battery is that low, or the battery circuitry may tell it to shut off and keep some reserve. People's cell phone batteries die all the time, and they are fine. Just don't let it sit discharged for too long.

take a look here:
How to prolong lithium-based batteries

particularly this paragraph:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Some lithium-ion batteries fail due to excessive low discharge. If discharged below 2.5 volts per cell, the internal safety circuit opens and the battery appears dead. A charge with the original charger is no longer possible. Some battery analyzers (Cadex) feature a boost function that reactivates the protection circuit of a failed battery and enables a recharge. However, if the cell voltage has fallen below 1.5V/cell and has remained in that state for a few months, a recharge should be avoided because of safety concerns. To prevent failure, never store the battery fully discharged. Apply some charge before storage, and then charge fully before use.[/FONT]"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones