1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is It Bad to Leave Your Phone Plugged In Charging After the Battery is Full?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by neotrixy, Feb 4, 2011.

1. neotrixy

neotrixy Well-Known Member

I've heard both sides of this argument: Some people/studies say that it is "overusing" the battery if you leave it plugged in, and also that it overheats the battery which can cause internal damage.

On the other hand, I've read that Lithium Ion batteries actually thrive when left plugged in. One general thing I've heard about rechargeable batteries is that their longevity or life expectancy is completely dependent on the number of cycles a battery has gone through (meaning how many times it has fully charged and then fully drained or been used/died, and then recharged again). So if this is true, then it wouldn't be a good idea to plug it in every chance you can, and instead, would be smarter to wait till it is completely dead and then wait till it is completely charged again. Also, if this is correct, then it would be smart to leave it charging until you are ready to use it or take it with you, prolonging the longevity of the battery.

So does anyone actually know for sure? I'm really looking for (as always) a completely accurate answer, not "what you heard from someone one time while smoking a jay" type answers :) So if you have experience in modern electronics and/or batteries, please by all means point me in the right direction or provide all of us with the correct info so we can start charging our phones right!

Thanks in advance!!!!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Avalanch3

Avalanch3 Member

I'm pretty sure there are safegaurds from "overcharging". Once the battery is full, the phone with basically stop charging.

3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

You can't overcharge a Lithium-Ion battery in the device it's made for and using the charging apparatus made for it.

4. Remordere

Remordere Android Enthusiast

Unless of course you buy fakes.

5. As Frisco stated but to add to that is that LiIo batteries these days after called smartbatteries they contain memory sensor which hold current phone status full mAh, discharge rate and %, battery metter, temp. It will stop charging at 100% based on the total mAh.

6. Frisco

Of course, but the nature of most fakes is that they purport to be made for the device/charger and even appear to be, etc, but really aren't; technically they're actually just made for quick sales.

The real stuff is truly made for proper function, fakes are not made for proper function and most don't even go through much of an inspection process.

7. Why would anyone buy battery from unknown folks? If you want stock battery only buy from the reputable dealer, I mean who buy it from eBay? I think everyone is aware of those notorious Chinese fakes. Now that being said if someone does buy battery for more mAh for example extended battery than buy it from people you trust, example: Mugen Power.

8. Frisco

Samsung Fascinate Forum

The Samsung Fascinate release date was Q3 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

Q3 2010
Release Date
Reviews