1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is it bricked? :(

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jeety4079, Sep 20, 2011.

1. jeety4079

jeety4079 Lurker

I had cyanogenmod 7 rom on my optimus V and i was trying to back to an older backup from rom manager. Unpon reboot my phone showed the LG symbol but then nothing else. Normally it would go into recovery mode and install the backup.

Then trying to hold power + up + menu or any various combinations of the keys wouldnt let me get into recovery mode. everytime i manually tried to get into recovery i get past the LG logo but after that the screen goes black and thats it. i cant even book to the previous ROM either. If i just hit the power button and let the phone try to boot it just keeps looping the boot animation (green android with green dust circling around).

Advertisement

2. cammykool

cammykool Android Expert

Your bricked... sorry man

3. AmishFury

AmishFury Well-Known Member

it's power+volume down+home not power+volume up+menu

4. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus

Semi-bricked is all. It can be saved. I'll do some checking on some threads that might have the fix. It might take me a day or two,but a more knowledgeable member on this subject might just post the fix before then.
    But first try using: menu+volume down and then power button all at the same time as AmishFury mentioned.
    I don't know if what you posted was a typo(I assumed) or you actually tried using the volume up. The volume down button is the one you want to use.

Snook likes this.
  5. jeety4079

jeety4079 Lurker

Recently i was able to get past the boot animation and had the lock screen working but after unlocked u get a blank screen with a notifications bar which works and since in cyanogen mod u have a power control widget in the notifications bar that was working but my guess is that there are not google apps on my phone to run the launcher or market and so on to do anything. but thanks for the posts guys.

AndyOpie is u come across something i'd be in debt to u. Thanx a lot.

6. a5pe4

a5pe4 Android Enthusiast

I'm wondering if you started out with a 2.2.2 V and switched kernels when putting CM7. If so maybe you have to change your kernel back. Just throwing it out there.

7. yogi-4

yogi-4 Android Enthusiast

Was you able to get into recovery using the home + volume down + power button?? If you can, you should be able to restore your nandroid backup. Or, do like I just got done doing, reflashing BobZhome's ROM.
    In my opinion, I don't trust Rom Manager at all!! AndyOpie likes it for certain things, but all I hear is nothing but trouble with it from people in several forums. I gave it a shot but it kept wanting to flash a recovery. I already had CWM recovery installed and I don't like the version it wanted to install. I got 3.0.2.4.

8. Annonymous7

Annonymous7 Newbie

I cant help, as I am not as knowledgeable about this as they are, but i hope they can help you get it working :(

9. JerryScript

JerryScript Android Expert

I doubt you are bricked, I only know of two actual bricks and they both involved flashing things you haven't even heard of yet! ;)

Have you tried ADB yet?

10. AndyOpie150

See if your phone is recognized by your computer. If yes try using ROMTools to flash a recovery and then through that recovery you need to do all these things(this must be done when installing a new ROM or restoring a backup)
    1.wipe cache partition.
    2.wipe dalvik cache(advanced section)
    3.wipe data/factory reset.Now that your rooted YOU MUST NEVER USE THE FACTORY RESET IN THE PRIVACY MENU ON THE PHONE
    4.format boot,system,data,and cache
    5.go to install zip from sd card
    6.go to select zip from sd card,chose the ROM first. It will go thru the install procedure. When done go back to step 6. and select the gapps.
    When all this is done select reboot system now.

It will take 5-10min. for the initial reboot. You will be asked to sign in,skip this.

Now you can go to the market app and click on it and sign in to your google account(you must have your e-mail address and log in code).Reboot the phone twice then set up your apps. Once you get everything set up just the way you like it and all your apps are just where you want them,go back into your recovery and make a backup of that ROM. You can now delete the first backup if you need to (you might keep it if you ever need to revert back to stock to sell the phone).

If you want to install a theme all you have to do is go into the recovery and wipe cache partition and dalvik cache,then do the same thing you did to install the ROM(theme must remain zipped)
    When you need to install an update to an installed ROM,all you have to do is wipe cache,and dalvik.

For more info on ROMTools go to yogi4's post and click on My "How TO"

11. Shobie2000

Shobie2000 Newbie

I bricked & unbricked my phone today!

I will never, never, never use ROM Manager again! The recovery flash it was supposed to provide did not work! :mad:

I had a situation with I think was a wiped phone, no recovery ROM or main ROM. Phone would boot showing only the LG symbol then a blank screen. I tried to use ROM Tools to flash a recovery but that didn't work for some reason. Rom Tools saw the phone, verified it was rooted but could not flash a recovery ROM to my phone. After some frantic web searches I finally was able to flash the Xionia recovery ROM by using the ADB commands & shell program. Afterwards I tried to flash the Bumblebee 2.4 Rom but that would not boot for some reason. I then tried the aospCMOD (CM7) ROM that I had working before and it worked!

What a f-ing day! :eek:

12. AndyOpie150

what version of ROM Manager did you use?
    What version is your phone 2.2.1 or 2.2.2. The reason I ask is I have written a thread on "The Truth About ROM Manager" to inform the members of all the things that it can and can't do. Your info(try to be as specific as possible)on what version your phone is and what version of ROM Manager you used ,as well as all the steps you took prior to the above mentioned semi-brick of your phone will allow me to Edit the thread and add warnings to reflect this problem. EDIT:Where did you have the application installed? on the sd card or the phone side?

13. Shobie2000

Shobie2000 Newbie

LG Optimus V

14. mkbkr1

mkbkr1 Android Enthusiast

15. yogi-4

You are correct... you must rename it to vrecovery. The best thing to do at this point in my opinion is to flash the BackSide or BobZhome ROM. They support the new screen if you have it and they are (as I like to say) the latest and greatest gingerbread ROM. Bumble bee is a Froyo based ROM. Not to mention AOSP ROM is no longer supported and is now very dated. You can NOT use Rom Manager to flash a ROM. AndyOpie has a Can Do Rom Manager thread here that shows what you can do with it with our 'V'. You can also go here for the new gapps and here for the latest CM7 ROMs. Hope this helps. :D

16. AndyOpie150

I'm really starting to think my thread should be stickied so new members will be able to see it easier and not do anything that will mess up there "V"
    I don't think Shobie2000has an "S" screen. After all he did say he flashed aospCMod(CM7) OK.(Unless the "S" screen is also compatible with zefies kernel,Hmmm). I just think he tried to do what ROM Manager can't. Flash Bumblebee with a ClockWorkMod recovery using ROM Manager. This will never work unless obijohn makes the same changes to the scripting as Leslie Ann did(her newest update of the Harmonia ROM works fine with ROM Manager because her ROM now works well with the CWMod recovery's which ROM Manager is a front end to).

yogi-4 likes this.
  17. a5pe4

a5pe4 Android Enthusiast

Well if he flashed JerryScript's CM7 ROM it now uses BobZHome's kernel which works for both the V and S screens. If what he flashed was an older ROM from JerryScript then I would assume that like AndyOpie said he has a V screen. If you did indeed flash the new JerryScript build then I would say you just need to flash a different kernel with the Bumblebee ROM. Hope this can help.

18. AndyOpie150

I've tried flashing Bumblebee with a different kernel that should have worked with it. Didn't work
    Also to get a clean install of the Bumblebee ROM you must:
    1.wipe cache partition.
    2.wipe dalvik cache(advanced section)
    3.wipe data/factory reset.Now that your rooted YOU MUST NEVER USE THE FACTORY RESET IN THE PRIVACY MENU ON THE PHONE
    4.format boot,system,data,and cache
    All ROM Manager will allow you to do is wipe all three items. It doesn't allow you to format the other 4 items.
    It also seems to magnify weeknesses in a ROM if there nor really compatible with CWMod recovery's,all Froyo based ROM's seem to fall into this category(except the newest Harmonia ROM which was updated to allow it to be compatible with the CWMod recovery's)

19. yogi-4

I agree with the sticky part. But... as i'm guilty of myself, alot of people just skip over the stickies.

20. Shobie2000

Shobie2000 Newbie

Update!

I have loaded the BACKside IHO ROM and its working perfectly on my phone now!

I followed the steps as outlined in the BACKside thread and everything went smoothly. I like this ROM, it has a nice interface and seems to run very stable.

Thanks for the help & suggestions!

Tags: