• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is it Bricked?!?

timideos

Lurker
Dec 18, 2011
Hi guys,

I have an Ideos x5 u8800 that I got root access to and managed to turn it onto a pretty light paperweight. I just want to know if there is anyway to fix it. I mean it's a mini PC so there must be something that can be done. So here is what happened I got root access and played around with a few of the custom launchers ADW, launcher pro, go launcher etc. They all worked fine and i loved them so I deleted the stock launcher, the phone got stuck in a force close loop that I couldn't get out of and things have only gotten worse from here.

So heres what i can get into;
- when i turn the phone on it boots up until it says Ideos then just stays in a loop.
- if i turn it on with power and volume up I get the menu for wiping cache etc.
- if i turn it on with power, volume up and down i get the purple screen.

I will be buying a new phone in the first half of 2012 (thinking s3) but am rocking the old school samsung clamshell at the moment. This is deeply frustrating as I love the android OS so if there is anything I can do please let me know i am willing to try anything (would love a custom ROM). The phone cant get much more unusable so I figure it can only get better.

Now just to add a twist to all that I use a OSX lion mac (got it cheap) which seems to think when i plug my phone in that it is a CD. My parents run an 11.10 ubuntu PC which we built this year. I can however borrow a windows laptop if need be.

If i haven't mentioned it before now this phone owes me nothing so am just looking to try some things. If it works it works.

Hi, why not try a "Forced Upgrade" from instructions in the User Manual?

2.1 Forced Upgrade
The forced upgrade method is as follows:
Note: After the forced upgrade, all user data (contacts, text messages, and multimedia messages) will be lost.
1. Go to Support - Huawei Device Co., Ltd.. and search for the latest U8150 version, download it to the local drive, and uncompress it to extract the upgrade file.
2. In the SD card root directory, create a new folder named dload. Take the extracted upgrade file, UPDATE.APP, and copy it to the dload folder.
3. Insert the SD card into the mobile phone.
4. When the mobile phone is powered off, press the Volume +, Volume -, and Power keys at the same time to initiate the forced upgrade.
5. After the upgrade is complete, restart the phone, and continue to use as before.
Cheers Neil.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones