1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Is it harmful to charge a smartphone while it is on?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by The Tiger, Oct 17, 2014.

1. The Tiger

The Tiger Guest

Think about it. While it is turned on, the CPU, the RAM and other sensitive areas of the phone are still actively working. Now when a charger is plugged in, a source of unclean power is added. We all know no charger is perfect, and no charger can deliver perfectly clean 5V DC free from AC interference, fluctuations, harmonics and AC noises.

While the CPU, RAM etc. are working through the battery power, it's getting an almost perfect power source (except the fluctuations due to discharging).

So does turning off the phone while charging increase the longevity of the phone?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Actually the phone always runs off the battery, whether you are charging or not. All the charger does is charge the battery.

The things which will degrade the battery longevity quickest are deep discharge or overheating. The phone should shut down before you reach deep discharge, but I'd personally avoid running it empty too often, and likewise I'd personally not recommend running it hard for extended periods while charging in order to avoid charging while hot. But no, I'd not worry about turning the phone off to charge it - I never turn mine off, and have no problems with battery longevity.

whatnow14 likes this.
  3. baghro

baghro Lurker

Thank you very much for your informative reply! :) Very grateful.