• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it legal/ethical to block application ads via firewall or other means?

M

Member 2081181

Here is an example of an application's terms of service stating:
"Moreovere, you agree not to block, disable or otherwise affect any advertising, or other features that constitute an integral part of the Software and MAPS.ME Services, unless you purchase an additional service to disable advertising."
Link: https://legal.my.com/us/maps/tou/ (under section "Restrictions on Use")

Questions related to this:
1. Does google specifically allow or disallow blocking of ads for all android apps downloaded from play store?
2. Should one go through each application's terms of service before blocking ads if there is no such rule stated by google?
3. (Out of topic) Is it legal/ethical to block ads on the internet?
My stand on this: If a website developer does not want to allow visitor to block ads then the developer can state this by a pop-up or other means before a visitor tries to access the site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well "legal" and "ethical" are two completely different things.

Of course it's legal to block ads, just as it's legal to change channels on your TV , or go into the kitchen and make coffee, when a station is showing commercials.

If it's ethical or not, might be down to your conscience, like do you feel comfortable with depriving them of ad money IMO.

IANAL, but EULAs are NOT legally enforceable in law(unless you're in China) and you're not going to jail for breaking a EULA.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have no legal or ethical qualms with using an ad blocker at the host or firewall level as any of the last malware or viruses I've got in the last ten years have come in through ad networks. That said, google will not allow an ad blocker in play as it "interferes with the normal operation of other apps."

Upvote 0
Well "legal" and "ethical" are two completely different things.

Of course it's legal to block ads, just as it's legal to change channels on your TV , or go into the kitchen and make coffee, when a station is showing commercials.

If it's ethical or not, might be down to your conscience, like do you feel comfortable with depriving them of ad money IMO.

IANAL, but EULAs are NOT legally enforceable in law(unless you're in China) and you're not going to jail for breaking a EULA.

I am trying to be on the safer side from both legal and ethical aspects. (Just like avoiding downloading copyright stuff despite the legal or ethical arguments)

If there is a rule by google that specifically allows or disallows blocking of ads (via firewall or other means) for all android apps downloaded from play store then this would solve the problem instantly as apps downloaded from play store cannot override the terms and conditions stated by google.
Else I think one would have to read terms and conditions of every app downloaded from play store (before using a firewall or something else) to be on the safer side.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Google doesn't allow as blockers in the Play Store because Google's income comes from ads. They'll try to spin that differently, but that's the reality.

Legally there's no problem blocking ads. It doesn't matter what some app developer writes in their EULA. Ethically may differ: you can't expect developers to produce stuff for you for nothing (though it's amazing how many people seem to think they should). Personally I prefer to use a paid app without ads. Where a developer doesn't offer that option it is trickier. But frankly there is so much unacceptable behaviour amongst online advertisers that I don't have any serious qualm about blocking ads generally.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones