• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it me or is it Orange?

Smithyster

Lurker
Jun 28, 2010
Firstly, great forum, i've been following for a few weeks now and you all have helped me with various things!

But, my phone signal is awful, the last few days, i've been struggling to get any signal at all in my house, a place where signal has always been fine, and on oranges data coverage map, it says it is as strong as it can be.

A second ago, i had 3 bars signal, now, without moving the phone, i have none, and this keeps happening. When i do get signal, it won't load the internet, as my signal is now back, but using dolphin HD, it says the web page isn't available, and with the Orange internet it either says the same, or claims there is no mobile network. I have in the 3 weeks i've had my phone had the 3G symbol come up, but as far as i am aware, never the H. I have seen the E a few times. My weather bit that comes with the standard clock always loses the weather and i have to manually update, which sometimes fails. Not sure if this is because i don't have GPS activated?

Seeing as i am paying for a panther contract with unlim web, i would expect it to work. It is so frustrating.

My Mobile network is ticked, so is data roaming. Network mode is GSM/WCDMA auto.

If anyone has any ideas about this i'd be very greatful.
oh, there goes my signal again :thinking:

Thanks

My Desire is also suffering with signal.

My issue lies that its slightly better at picking up 3G signal (or perhaps slightly bias to?), so at home where I have 0-3 bars 3G (but mostly 0), I often get call disconnects and unavailability because it isn't switching to GSM when it gets to 0 bars - I've decided to just switch to GSM only when at home (An app to do it automatically when a specified wifi network is connected, is on its way ;) )

Edit: I'm on o2.

Upvote 0
The easiest thing to do would be compare this to another phone and see if it has the same problem. You could have a cell tower down in your area. Getting rid of the Orange rubbish like azz suggests is always a good idea ( so long as you don't want to use Orange maps) but if it doesn't fix the problem it will then be a problem to return the handset to Orange.

Upvote 0
Yeh it is branded, and flashing sounds a good idea as i really hate all the useless Orange crap, but i don't want to if it is going to void warranty etc.

Well my previous phone, an SE C510 got signal fine in my house, sometimes texts didn't come through even when in signal, but i'm prettty sure that was the phone lol. But yeh, it just seems like its the Desire.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones