1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Is it me, or is the stock Swype, a step back?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rushmore, Sep 16, 2011.

1. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    I find myself having to correct words FAR more with the Swype version on the D3, compared to the Incredible. Seems the words picked are wrong a LOT and do not make sense, based on the average a word tends to be used. Not an issue of keys being missed, but an issue of poor word selection by the app.

In fact, when I see posts with wrong words, I think to myself now "that there is a Droid 3 user".

Must admit it is refreshing to pick on things like this, since it is usually the device or firmware I pick on. Droid 3 is the first device my concerns are not systemic :)

Advertisement

2. ndoren

ndoren Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    I agree. The colors are bland too. Can't get worse than black&white. The good news is there are several threads around that describe how to install the latest beta over the stock Swype on the D3. Nealll

dhbuckley likes this.
  3. Knitewulf

Knitewulf Android Enthusiast
    None

I agree as well. I highly dislike it.

4. dhbuckley

dhbuckley Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Hey, Ndoren...thanks. Mind posting link(s) to those "install beta over" threads?

What was your experience?

HATE the white, new beta is black, no?

Be well,

David

5. ndoren

ndoren Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    The swype beta is beautful. It's gray and blue with shaded and textured keys. I DO have it installed on my D3, after the OTA update (which creates a swype bug in that only displays keys and help in Spanish).

I will provide a link to the D3 swype beta update, but that being said, I had to monkey a LOT to get it to work. Most importantly, you need to already be in the swype beta program, and you download the beta from their site.

So, it's best to backup the original (factory) swype and its data with Titanium backup. That's because the beta install blows the factory install away, and if you have a problem, you need to be able to reinstall the original, or you won't have swype at all. Obviously, this all requires that you be rooted, because you're replacing a system app.

I love the swype beta, and it was worth the effort in getting it to work. My caution is that you can screw things up if you aren't meticulous in the process. Neall

[How to] Update Swype

6. CyberWinter

CyberWinter Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    USA, Greece
    One thing I wish swype had, is the ability to pop up what you're typing when you pluck away letter by letter.

Generally, I'm having a hard type just swyping words. It's just me... I can't get used to it. I find myself plucking letter by letter instead cause I forget to swype.

7. Hoosiermama

Hoosiermama Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 24, 2010
    I got the Droid 3 update this morning, and the language on swype changed to Spanish. Good thing I looked and what I swyped before I sent that first text! :D

8. glennj

glennj Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 15, 2011

Ha! Sure enough.
    That setting, though, you can change it back to English (which used to be the default, and was probably your old setting). What you can't change back from Spanish is the Help, which seems truly stuck. (as well as the old SYM key lettering).

Ayuda de Skype ! ;-)

Glenn

9. Hoosiermama

None

Nov 24, 2010
    I immediately changed it to English...I just found it amusing;). Didn't realize the Help is now in Spanish..although I had never used it anyway.

10. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Me neither

Still, the word choice algorithm seems to be weak compared to the hacked version I had on the Inc.

11. Knitewulf

Knitewulf Android Enthusiast
    None

I don't feel like spending $6.00 just to be able to update Swype and freeze it, would I achieve the same results if I just deleted the Swype APK entirely?

12. oaklane

oaklane Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Secretary
    New Hampshire
    Same thing happened to me. I changed my setting and it's still doing it. Really need to fix this. Any suggestions? I hate updates when they mess up what was working fine.

13. Hoosiermama

None

Nov 24, 2010
    Go into Settings, then go into the Keyboard menu, and change the Swype settings to English. The help will remain in Spanish, but what you type will go back to English.

14. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky

That really confused me.... I hope the basketball Cats beat the Hoosiers by even more points this year ;) :) ;)

Of course, for the football Cats, they are at LSU this weekend :(

15. Hoosiermama

None

Nov 24, 2010
    It's not even any fun to trash talk with Cats fans any more....IU has a LOT of rebuilding to do with the basketball team...*sigh*:eek: and IU's football team couldn't beat a bunch of nuns in wheelchairs at this point.