1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Is it my phone - or the battery..?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by BlackTigress, Mar 29, 2014.

1. BlackTigress

BlackTigress Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 16, 2012
    Female
    "Sandwich Artist"
    Brandon, Florida
    Well, I was just getting started with my OG Motorola Droid with the 4.1 jelly bean mod. I got stuck trying to get apps2sd to work (and still probably can't manage to get it to work).

Then all of a sudden, my battery went to 1% - died, but then I went to charge it. Then from that point on, it basically just gave out.

My phone gave crazy readings - like one moment, 5%. (Power off) Next, 50%. (Power off) Next, 1%. (Power off) Next, 80%. Eventually, it (the phone) stopped working Unless I put it on the charger.

Tried to do the battery in the freezer trick. The phone actually claimed that it was completely charged.........until I took it off the charger..and it died..

Some how some way, I managed to get $3 bucks for free online, and bought a new battery (thank God)...But then it hit me..What if it's my phone that's the problem and not the battery?

I swear, I'd be so upset if that were the case..Lol..Is there any way that I could find out which is exactly the problem? The only real hint that I have is that when I had set my phone back to it's Original rom, the battery icon had a question mark symbol in it. The prongs on the inside seem completely okay as well. Yet, I still don't completely know whether it's my phone or the battery itself..

Advertisement

2. hiredgun

hiredgun Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2014
    For some reason, the batteries on my "Chinese Special" knock off phone are SUPER sensitive to charging too, and the ONLY way I can get them to charge without going TOTALLY dead is by usb instead of using the wall charger. It might be worth a try in your case, at least that way you can be pretty sure if it's the battery or the phone if it still doesn't give you a correct charge!

3. BlackTigress

BlackTigress Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 16, 2012
    Female
    "Sandwich Artist"
    Brandon, Florida
    Unfortunately, I don't have a usb cord to check that out.. :/ Only wall chargers..

But hey - another thing to keep in mind, the phone also works without the battery while on the charger..

4. hiredgun

hiredgun Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2014
    Definitely and interesting point indeed. If I were you I'd get buy a mini-usb cable so that you can be sure, but it sounds as if you are on the right track!

5. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    you mentioned a Jelly been mod... does that mean you are rooted?
    How old is your droid/battery??

since it works fine via wall charger...and you are rooted.. did you have a Nandroid? flash back to a back up. if not.. flash a ROM that you know works.

if your device is old.. and works via charger.. i am leaning to dead battery.