• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root is it possabile to get 4g on otptumis v?

Not worth trying. Flashing a radio NOT for the Optimus V will brick your device.

It's NOT POSSIBLE TO HAVE 4G ON THE OPTIMUS V!

But you can mod the framework so it can say 4g instead of 3g. I did it before, but it's still 3g.

I think he meant physically, but I might be wrong, yes I know about flashable radios...

To physically add one, buy phone insurance, throw phone in a lake, get a new replacement, hope they give you a phone with a 4G radio installed.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but give up now.
You need a VM/Boost/Sprint 4g phone or wifi hotspot in good standing to access the 4g network. Even if you have the radio, you don't have a 4g enabled account.

What you are doing is the equivalent of logging into a neighbors locked down wifi. Just because you have wifi doesn't mean you will have access.

There is three ways you can do what you are after...
A. Clone a 4g phone's 4g settings or a 4g wifi hotspot's settings, one with a good, active account. Of course this is illegal and you still need the radio and the knowledge of how to integrate it in terms of hardware and software, and cloning experience... It also means buying a 4g phone, or buying a 4g hotspot AND paying for both phone and the hotspot.

B. Buy a 4G wifi hotspot, and just tether it to your phone. This requires buying a 4g hotspot and paying for your phone and hotspot service. Easy and completely legal, but not cheap. Netzero will let you get 200 megs a month free on 4g, more costs money, and you can't input the settings into a phone, at least those who tried have failed (besides being illegal and only 200megs).

C. Just get the Evo 4. You buy one phone, pay one bill.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but give up now.
You need a VM/Boost/Sprint 4g phone or wifi hotspot in good standing to access the 4g network. Even if you have the radio, you don't have a 4g enabled account.

What you are doing is the equivalent of logging into a neighbors locked down wifi. Just because you have wifi doesn't mean you will have access.

There is three ways you can do what you are after...
A. Clone a 4g phone's 4g settings or a 4g wifi hotspot's settings, one with a good, active account. Of course this is illegal and you still need the radio and the knowledge of how to integrate it in terms of hardware and software, and cloning experience... It also means buying a 4g phone, or buying a 4g hotspot AND paying for both phone and the hotspot.

B. Buy a 4G wifi hotspot, and just tether it to your phone. This requires buying a 4g hotspot and paying for your phone and hotspot service. Easy and completely legal, but not cheap. Netzero will let you get 200 megs a month free on 4g, more costs money, and you can't input the settings into a phone, at least those who tried have failed (besides being illegal and only 200megs).

C. Just get the Evo 4. You buy one phone, pay one bill.

I knew that I wouldn't be able to get service but I was going to see if it can be done kinda like putting a v10 engine in a Volkswagen buggy.

I was wondering when you were going to get involved:p

Upvote 0
I knew that I wouldn't be able to get service but I was going to see if it can be done kinda like putting a v10 engine in a Volkswagen buggy.

I was wondering when you were going to get involved:p

V10 in a Volkswagen = deathtrap, but a fun one! (I'd much rather put one in an old Ford Roadster myself. ;)).
4G in an OV = Frankenstein and a dead/over heated battery.
:fight:

Leslieann!!! That's new. :D
Didnt know she was here.
Been here a long time (since the early OV days) I just don't say a whole lot here usually.

Upvote 0
I was thinking about it too, but it is $300 and I would be leaving behind my $25/mo plan :(

..... i was worried about this too with my GF's plan she use to have the LG rummer touch, it was stolen, or lost,. and i bought her a new phone the some sort of Samsung, special from Target it totally sucks ballz but anyways she thought she would loose her plan but she told them she had her phone stolen and told her its been replaced and called to activate that one and they didn't change her plan but i do know reading the reviews on the EVO one user was forced to upgrade,. ,.. might have been just an issue of her phone having been stolen,. you could allways call them and tell them it was ,. call the next day with the new phone and tell them you got a new one,. then if they tell you you have to have the 35 dolar one tell them hang on i have an imcomming call its the police department,. let me just switch over,. get back on the line and tell them they found your phone and you wont be needing to change anything

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones