• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is it possible for a bad Root???

padrone00

Dec 14, 2009
Is it possible to have a bad root? I used the "Universal Root for Dummies" and I am on my second ROM and am having the same problem. First ROM was Evil Eris 3.0 and the current ROM is PlainJane2.1 and it is the same exact problem for both ROM's.

I am getting serious delay/lock up whenever I try to move from one thing to the main home page by hitting the home button. For instance, I was in the Wireless and network settings making an adjustment to my wifi and I hit the home button and it went to a black screen and locked up. I was also in Setcpu and I hit the home button and it went to a black screen and then nothing. I am getting an "HTC Sense is not responding" message sometimes.

I am overclocked but not by much. It is set at 787 for max. I started another thread when i thought it was just EE3.0, but then it was doing the same thing with the PJ2.1 so I thought I would throw out a bigger hook. I am also getting serious delay if I just try to pull up the loaded app/program screen.

Appreciate all the help if you can provide any.

I am overclocked but not by much. It is set at 787 for max. I started another thread when i thought it was just EE3.0, but then it was doing the same thing with the PJ2.1 so I thought I would throw out a bigger hook. I am also getting serious delay if I just try to pull up the loaded app/program screen.

Appreciate all the help if you can provide any.

Are you sure its not because your phone can't handle being overclocked that high? (i.e., have you tried running at a safe speed such as 710MHz for a while and seeing how things behave then?).

Upvote 0
+ 1 Excellent thought...profiles kicking him down to a lower speed 'cause the phone's overheating?

Check your temp and current clock speed with System Panel or other utility (new setCPU widget shows you the temp already).

Yes, I am using profiles. Right now my temp is at 96.2f. I lowered my max down to 710 and will keep an eye on the temp and see if there is any correlation. I just did a reboot and it seems to have helped for now. But I will keep an eye on it.

On a side question, why wouldn't my eris b able to handle 787?

Upvote 0
Yes, I am using profiles. Right now my temp is at 96.2f. I lowered my max down to 710 and will keep an eye on the temp and see if there is any correlation. I just did a reboot and it seems to have helped for now. But I will keep an eye on it.

On a side question, why wouldn't my eris b able to handle 787?

Just a variation in the device itself, whether or not you use a case (especially a rubber/silicone one), overclocking, particular ROM, your usage (i.e., wireless tethering is a huge drain and CPU cruncher), etc.

Upvote 0
Just a variation in the device itself, whether or not you use a case (especially a rubber/silicone one), overclocking, particular ROM, your usage (i.e., wireless tethering is a huge drain and CPU cruncher), etc.

No case. And I just rooted yesterday so it is just basic set up stuff right now, so haven't even tried wireless tethering yet. And as I am typing this I just had the htc sense window pop up asking me to force close or wait.

Upvote 0
No case. And I just rooted yesterday so it is just basic set up stuff right now, so haven't even tried wireless tethering yet. And as I am typing this I just had the htc sense window pop up asking me to force close or wait.

Couple of questions (don't know if this matters or not):

1. did you make a Nandroid backup before wiping and flashing each ROM? (just so you could go to a 'before' state if need be)

2. did you do any wipes per the dev's ROM thread before flashing each ROM?

I don't know if the issues you are seeing are indicative of not having done wipes before flashing particular ROMs, but I've seen people post about issues they've had and it turns out they didn't do wipes. This probably isn't the case, but I thought I'd ask...there's so many ROMs out there and I'm not familiar with the various traits and issues that each may have...

Upvote 0
So I lowered my max to 710 and kept having the same issues. Now I just completely uninstalled setcpu and everything is working great. Overclocking was the main thing I was looking for when I decided to root. Do I try a different overclocking app?

You might be on the right track. Check out this thread re. possible setCPU lag: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/130059-setcpu-widget.html and this thread http://androidforums.com/all-things...idget-newbie-vs-setcpu-reigning-champion.html

(I don't know anything about the overclocking widget...never heard of it before...)

Upvote 0
The guy who did the OC work on the Eris kernel noted that there is a (supply) voltage value which can change, in principle, for each frequency stepping, and so a transition from min speed to max speed (or vice versa) does not happen as a single jump for stability reasons.

(Typically,higher voltages are used at higher frequencies in order to preserve logic margin; this is also the reason why variable frequency uPs burn power faster, and get hotter faster, than in proportion to frequency alone)

Instead, several steps of frequency/voltage are traversed to move back and forth between the min and max values you set up for a given profile. Also, because there are clocks which are derived from other clocks, either through division or multiplication, the clock speed is not adjusted on a tick by tick basis - it could take thousands of clock ticks to change frequencies in a way that maintains proper phasing between clock domains.

The somewhat subtle upshot of this is that the huge lag you observe may be due to the minimum frequency you are using - or even a pathology that is due to the combination of min and max frequencies.

I would try two things:

- return to using SetCPU, but with conservative values for both min and max: no lower than 160 Mhz, and no higher than 710 Mhz... and for the upper end, don't swing between those values - choose a minimum of 480 when the max is 710.

- Over time, slowly adjust one end up or the other end down, and be patient: don't make more than one change per day.

With an OC kernel with a high default clock rate, you will have difficulty getting decent battery life without using something like SetCPU. Over time, you will end up with an Eris which is stable, responsive, and gets good battery life too.

eu1

Upvote 0
PS.

A quicker response from me might have included the detail that I had a problem of a very similar nature with an OC ROM (can't remember which one) - I was using 19 Mhz for a few of the profiles. I can't remember what the exact circumstances were, but it would take something like 10 seconds for the Eris to "come back to life". Bumping up the minimum frequency solved that problem.

That huge lag is not symptomatic of too fast a clock speed (the result of too fast a clock is almost always erratic application or kernel crashes or overheating) - it is a symptom of a pathology where the clock is sort of "stuck" down at very low frequencies and not getting much work done.

Note that zanfur (author of the OC kernel patch) initially was using these profiles:

Default: 480/768
Standby: 160/245
Failsafe: 40C/245/245

Here's what mine look like now (probably they could be improved):

Code:
[B]Prio max/min  Govern.   Cond.[/B]

52   480/160  ondemand Temp > 50C 
51   480/122  ondemand Screen Off
50   480/122  ondemand Batt < 20%
49   528/160  ondemand Batt < 40%
48   604/160  ondemand Batt < 65%
47   729/245  ondemand Batt < 100%

eu1

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
I would try two things:

- return to using SetCPU, but with conservative values for both min and max: no lower than 160 Mhz, and no higher than 710 Mhz... and for the upper end, don't swing between those values - choose a minimum of 480 when the max is 710.

- Over time, slowly adjust one end up or the other end down, and be patient: don't make more than one change per day.

With an OC kernel with a high default clock rate, you will have difficulty getting decent battery life without using something like SetCPU. Over time, you will end up with an Eris which is stable, responsive, and gets good battery life too.

eu1

You might be on the right track. Check out this thread re. possible setCPU lag: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/130059-setcpu-widget.html and this thread http://androidforums.com/all-things...idget-newbie-vs-setcpu-reigning-champion.html

(I don't know anything about the overclocking widget...never heard of it before...)

So it looks like just removing the widget does the trick. I reinstalled setcpu but did not stick the widget and everything seems to be working great.

I will be working my way through the settings and see where I can optimize my battery life with performance.

I appreciate all of the help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones