• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it possible on an android tablet?

caunyd

Lurker
May 20, 2010
Hi guys. I plan on replacing my car radio/head unit with a Nexus 7. Using my iPhone, I'd like to make and receive calls in my car through the Nexus 7, much like stock bluetooth phone integration in most car systems. I'd want the sound from phone calls to come from my car speakers.

I'd also like to have a small microphone installed close to the steering wheel, that runs and connects to the Nexus 7, for clarity of my voice for the caller on the other end.

Do you guys know if this is possible? Can you suggest Apps and hardware that I would need to accomplish this goal? Thanks.

I doubt that the necessary Bluetooth profiles are available for Android. At the very least, you're asking your Nexus 7 to behave like a bluetooth speakerphone. Certainly the Nexus would need to be rooted. See this thread for details; the bottom line is that your efforts would be operating on the bleeding edge of available software:

[developer needed] Android device as bluetooth headset for phone - xda-developers

Upvote 0
basically, you're looking for a way to run/replace the cars radio electronics with the nexus device? and then attaching the phone, via bluetooth, to the nexus?

if it's possible, it will require WAY more than an app. i'd say head over to a car forum and simply ask about replacing the radio with a tablet - since i believe that's basically the crux of what you're asking here.

the phone attaching to the nexus you can probably find something on here about, and i'd be surprised if there wasn't a way to get that functioning. i don't know it offhand, but i may have to look into it now, just for my own curiosity.

either way this turns out for you, it's an interesting project and i hope it goes your way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones