1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Is it possible to be only partially rooted...??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thecarlsoncrew, Jan 1, 2011.

1. thecarlsoncrew

thecarlsoncrew Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 29, 2010
    Help! I have a Droid X running 2.2.1 and ADW Launcher (free). I rooted it using the command line (way #3 since the one-click didn't work after repeated attempts...and yes, I was EXTREMELY careful to type in all commands EXACTLY as indicated on that post), but I'm having a couple odd root-related problems.

1. Can't backup using ROM Manager --- I have Titanium doing a once-a-week app backup, but I want to grab periodic comprehensive snapshots, too. I was told ROM Manager could do that, but every time I try to run the backup from within ROM Manager, my phone reboots and no backup file is generated.

2. Can't rename bloatware --- I want to disable/ignore the Verizon bloatware crap on this thing, and it seems that the least intrusive way of doing so is to simply rename the .apk files. When I use a file manager (I've tried Astro, ES File Manager, and File Manager) to rename the files, I still get an "Insufficient permissions." error and can't rename the file. Is there a way to force my file manager app into Superuser's approved root access list so it can rename files? I can't get the file manager app to ask for superuser permission, nor can I add new apps from within Superuser itself.

Obviously, there seems to be a problem with my general rootedness, but whatever it is isn't consistent because I'm able to successfully use apps like Titanium and AutoKiller Memory. Also, when I go into Superuser and try to pull up the log, it force closes. Not sure what that's about.

I wouldn't entirely rule out some PEBKAC issues, but hopefully that's at a minimum here. :D

Any guidance someone could provide on this situation would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

2. Bankswood

Bankswood Android Expert
    None

Aug 23, 2010
    Charlotte
    Sounds to me like you lost your root. Meaning you had all those root required apps but now root is gone and they will not respond. Download Z4Root and try to (re) root. Do you have a backup of your stock system. If so you may have to reinstall that then root. If not you probably will need to SBF..

3. mlclm

mlclm Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 25, 2010
    Do you have the droid x bootstrapper? Because without that, ROM manager won't be able to boot into the custom recovery to create the backup. And in order to rename the .apks you have to mount as r/w, which Astro can't do. Download Root Explorer and you should be fine.

Edit: The FC when you pull up the SU log is an unrelated issue.

4. Bankswood

Bankswood Android Expert
    None

Aug 23, 2010
    Charlotte
    You mean without Bootstrap you will not be able to boot into clockwork recovery. You really don't need ROM Manager. It has been very buggy since the last OTA.

Edit. Sorry missed the word "that". Still dont need ROM Manager.

5. mlclm

mlclm Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 25, 2010
    I haven't noticed any problems with it. What are you experiencing?

6. Bankswood

Bankswood Android Expert
    None

Aug 23, 2010
    Charlotte
    Most of time when I try to boot into recovery via ROM Manager it just roboots the phone. If I try to install a ROM it just reboots the phone. When I use Bootstrap I never have a problem.

thecarlsoncrew likes this.
  7. thecarlsoncrew

None

Sep 29, 2010
    No, I don't have bootstrapper. Where do I get it and what do I do with it?

Also, is there a free version of Root Explorer (or another free app that would do it)? I'm not sure I could get it installed and tested out within the 15 minute return window in case something else went wrong...

8. mlclm

mlclm Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 25, 2010
    The Droid X Bootstrap is in the market. When you get it, tap bootstrap recovery and grant it SU permissions. Then either tap reboot recovery or go to ROM Manager to create a backup. I don't know of any free version of Root Explorer, but it's definitely a must-have for any rooted phone.

thecarlsoncrew likes this.
  9. thecarlsoncrew

None

Sep 29, 2010
    Okay, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for your help!

10. buckguin

buckguin Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 8, 2010
    Student
    Ohio
    I think you have 24 hours to test out a app before you cant return it.. It used to be like that anyways..

11. mlclm

mlclm Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 25, 2010
    The new market update decreased that to 15 minutes. Not one of their better decisions imo.

12. thecarlsoncrew

None

Sep 29, 2010
    I'll give these suggestions a shot and post later if other problems come up. Otherwise, thank you, everyone, for your guidance!