1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Is it possible to block specific links/URLs?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by sparkhee93, Mar 4, 2016.

1. sparkhee93

sparkhee93 Lurker
    None

Feb 19, 2016
    Male
    My situation calls for blocking specific links/URLs or even ones that contain that specific URLs but not necessarily the site's domain itself. For example, let's say I have an extreme phobia of ducks but my friends want to pull a prank on me and pull up a image search for ducks from Google on my phone.

But because I don't want to have to see any pictures or even searches of ducks, I want to restrict it.

I already know that changing the hosts file to redirect a specific website's domain back to 127.0.0.1 will cause the website to refuse the connection. But I still want to be able to use Google as my search engine so the rewriting hosts file is out of the option.

For example, when I search "ducks" on Google, I get these URLs:
    Going from that, I want to restrict any URLs that contain either "https://www.google.com/search?q=ducks" and "https://www.google.com/#q=ducks".

Is this possible?

I have a rooted Samsung Galaxy Note 4 with CMRemix v7.2 if that information is going to make any difference.

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    I'm guessing you might be looking for something like Net Nanny? (Play Store link) or another similar app...

Web page description: Net Nanny for Android

3. sparkhee93

sparkhee93 Lurker
    None

Feb 19, 2016
    Male
    Is there anyway I can do this without having to download the mentioned app? I'm not really looking into filtering for inappropriate stuff. I was hoping there would be a way through altering some files, similar to changing hosts.

4. sparkhee93

sparkhee93 Lurker
    None

Feb 19, 2016
    Male
    I tried editing the hosts file. It works with the general domain ("www.google.com") but once you get specific with the URL, it doesn't work.