1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Is it possible to cancel a system update?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by StevenW., Aug 22, 2011.

1. StevenW.

StevenW. Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    Hello all,

I'm wondering if it's possible to cancel a system update (in this case the gingerbread update for my Atrix) before it begins to download. I haven't had access to wifi for months and most likely won't for a while longer. Last week another update suddenly downloaded over 4G after sitting in my notifications with the "enable wifi to download" notice for a couple months. I then checked for the gingerbread update, and I noticed that it mentioned downloading over data on the download screen. I wasn't sure if that had been there before, so I gave it a shot, and of course it won't download over data.

So then I downloaded it manually and placed it on the sd card, but I can't get it to work. It just sits there with the "enable wifi" notification. I'd hate for the data I used up downloading it to go to waste (plus, you know, I'd like to have gingerbread now), so is there any way to cancel the download?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Yes, you can cancel the update, and if you finally decide to update, you can check with Settings > About Phone > System Updates.

3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    How do I cancel it?

4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    Does anyone know? I don't see an option for it anywhere.

5. eramirezus

eramirezus Lurker
    None

May 10, 2011
    i know i'm late on this reply but i came here trying to figure out how to cancel the update once it's already been downloaded...for future reference if anyone needs to know.... you go into settings>system updates>htc software updates. then select "check now" again (like you did when you downloaded the update)...but this time it will ask you if you want to discard and delete the update from your SD card...select yes...viola! all done.

6. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Android Expert
    None

Jan 18, 2011
    When you get the notification that offers the update, it gives you three
    choices: Now, Later and More Info.

Get ready to yank the battery. Tap More Info then immediately yank the battery.

Wait a bit then reinstall/restart. The update engine thinks it’s done its job but you never let it do anything.

When Optimus S gingerbreaded, forums were full of bad remarks. So I did the above and mine stayed happy at 2.2.2.