• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is it possible to change unlock sound?

Thanks for the vote of confidence!!!

Whilst on subject of rooting, is there an easy step by step guide for dummies like me? I presume I lose all my data and apps etc, so do I need to download all my apps again?

I've got nexus toolkit so can I use that?

Sorry for all the stupid questions!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the vote of confidence!!!

Whilst on subject of rooting, is there an easy step by step guide for dummies like me? I presume I lose all my data and apps etc, so do I need to download all my apps again?

I've got nexus toolkit so can I use that?

Sorry for all the stupid questions!

youll use the nexus toolkit to unlock and root.

UNLOCKING YOUR TABLET WILL FORMAT YOUR TABLET - YOU WILL LOOSE EVERYTHING!!!

then all you have to do is root it. the toolkit is quite simple and self explanitory :) first you want to unlock then you want to root. that simple :)

Reactions: spinecho
Upvote 0
youll use the nexus toolkit to unlock and root.

UNLOCKING YOUR TABLET WILL FORMAT YOUR TABLET - YOU WILL LOOSE EVERYTHING!!!

then all you have to do is root it. the toolkit is quite simple and self explanitory :) first you want to unlock then you want to root. that simple :)
Thanks again for taking your time to help! At risk of going wildly off topic from my original post(!) if unlocking/rooting will wipe my tablet then is there any way I can back up my apps etc beforehand and is there a way of reinstalling my apps without downloading from the play store?

Upvote 0
honestly im not really sure of non root methods of backing up. i know that after you root and sign in to your google account the tablet will automatically re download everything that it had on it before - as long as you check the box to allow backup to my Google account -

btw im gonna move you over to the root section as were starting to dive into the root aspect of the tablet (and dont worry about being off topic - its your thread after all ;))

Upvote 0
honestly im not really sure of non root methods of backing up. i know that after you root and sign in to your google account the tablet will automatically re download everything that it had on it before - as long as you check the box to allow backup to my Google account -

btw im gonna move you over to the root section as were starting to dive into the root aspect of the tablet (and dont worry about being off topic - its your thread after all ;))

Thanks for the help and the useful pm you sent me advising me of the change of forum!

I'm gonna have a look at the guides and around this forum a bit more!!!!

Upvote 0
Thanks again for taking your time to help! At risk of going wildly off topic from my original post(!) if unlocking/rooting will wipe my tablet then is there any way I can back up my apps etc beforehand and is there a way of reinstalling my apps without downloading from the play store?

If I'm correct, wugs nexus toolkit has a way of flashing a temp recovery and backing up your complete system image before unlocking, you can then restore it and root. It's all explained within the program if I remember right.

Reactions: spinecho
Upvote 0
If I'm correct, wugs nexus toolkit has a way of flashing a temp recovery and backing up your complete system image before unlocking, you can then restore it and root. It's all explained within the program if I remember right.

Yep, the backup takes a while, but it does all apps and the associated data.

Wugs toolkit makes it mega simple too.

Upvote 0
Yep, the backup takes a while, but it does all apps and the associated data.

Wugs toolkit makes it mega simple too.
thanks for the advice - just a stupid question now.... i've read lots of post about custom installs/roms etc - do I need to do that as part of rooting or is rooting just unlocking the bootloader which in turn allows me "superuser" access?

Well if you do root its in /system/media/audio/ui and you'll see unlock sound file or something like that and then put a file from a different device and it should change
Thanks!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones