• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it possible to connect a ps3 controller to a android phone?

I don't see anything in the market called bluetooth share.

For the record I highly doubt a PS3 controller will ever work with an android phone. It only pairs via USB, unlike the wiimote which can pair remotely.

Sure, you could state that a person could just use a mini to micro usb cord, but I don't think the phone can be setup to work like that.

Upvote 0
Interesting.

That being said, I have to wonder why the wiimote was used instead of a PS3 controller then. If I remember right, I had read somewhere that the wiimote can sync with an android phone because it doesn't require the full sync access that a game console would be able to provide, and the PS3 controllers were more involved.

Oh well. I'm buying a wiimote tomorrow for $30, while I would obviously love to be able to use one of my old sixaxis controllers with it, I'm sure a wiimote will work for now. Some of the games will be a bit tedious, since you only have the 2 buttons on the right, but oh well.

I mostly just want to play RPG's while I'm at work on lunch break for those days where I don't have a book to read or some video to watch.

Upvote 0
Why use a PS3 controller when you can use Datel's wireless wii classic?

Wii Wireless Retro Controller - Codejunkies US

2 joysticks. left + right triggers. 4 buttons on the right. d-pad. start + select

What does the PS3 have that this doesn't? It works with the wiimote controller app on the market.

It not so much what the PS3 controller has that the wii remote doesn't, it that more people (generally speaking) have a PS3.

I know I don't own a wii or know anybody that does so I have absolutely no access to a controller. I'd hate to spend money on a controller that would solely be used for my phone when I already own a PS3..

Upvote 0
It not so much what the PS3 controller has that the wii remote doesn't, it that more people (generally speaking) have a PS3.

I know I don't own a wii or know anybody that does so I have absolutely no access to a controller. I'd hate to spend money on a controller that would solely be used for my phone when I already own a PS3..

the wii outsells the PS3... BY FAR

Upvote 0

2 joysticks. left + right triggers. 4 buttons on the right. d-pad. start + select

What does the PS3 have that this doesn't? It works with the wiimote controller app on the market.

The problem with this is that I'd need to spend $40 on it whilst I already have a PS3 remote. :p

Upvote 0
One major drawback with this is that there isn't even 100% working ps3 controller drivers for the PC, let a lone the android OS. lol It's possible if someone could crack the bluetooth encryption/protocol that the PS3 uses (or buy it from someone who already has), but it would also require the someone to create drivers for the android OS rather than a simple app. I m not sure if the android NDK (native development kit) would be sufficient enough to do this or you would need to go even lower with something like assembly... Drivers are an iffy subject when it comes to mobile platforms.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I posted ignorantly. I didn't think of the fact that the people wanting PS3 support already have a PS3 controller and not a Wii. I have a PS3 and a Wii :D

The Datel wireless controller is a nicer solution for me than attaching a wii classic to a wii remote. The Datel controller connects directly to the wii and to my phone.

I wouldn't get your hopes up on PS3 controller support. It's a pretty complicated mess. But there is a developer trying (the one who made the wiimotecontroller app).

Upvote 0

That joypad doesn't have L2 and R2 buttons, just L and R. Same goes for L3 and R3, where you push the joysticks in, doesn't look like you can do this on that wii retro pad either.

Another option though would be an xbox360 controller, as they have the correct amount of buttons too.

Upvote 0
That joypad doesn't have L2 and R2 buttons, just L and R. Same goes for L3 and R3, where you push the joysticks in, doesn't look like you can do this on that wii retro pad either.

Another option though would be an xbox360 controller, as they have the correct amount of buttons too.

It's my understanding that a 360 controller uses a proprietary band, not bluetooth, so it wouldn't be able to sync with the phone. I remember reading that before anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones