1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Is it possible to factory reset a nook color with cm7 installed on the emmc?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Modman, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Modman

Modman Android Enthusiast
    None

May 31, 2011
    Just curious cause I factory reset an autoneutered version.

I have had very few problems running from a 32 gig sandisk SD.

Also wondering since I mostly run cm7 from SD if its worth upgrading to b&n 1.4? What did they add Netflix and what else?

Might just leave it alone for now. Was having charging problems. In case I need to exchange this NC.

Advertisement

2. bobstro

bobstro Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 2, 2010
    Based on my admittedly limited experience, I'd say you lose the ability to restore to factory stock if you over-write B&N's firmware on eMMC. In my case, I tried the "8 failed boot" reset, and wound up looped at CWM. I had to restore to stock from SD.

OTOH, if you're running CM from SD, and didn't write CWM to eMMC, you can probably do a factory reset from the B&N firmware. I think having CWM on may break the process, but I haven't tested this.

1.4.1 added Netflix, but also made a lot of reader-focused changes. Personally, I like the changes, so I've gone back to B&N firmware. However, if you don't use B&N for content, these changes gain you nothing. If you don't fit any of these:

1. You want magazine or newspaper subscriptions.
    2. You use enhanced book (e.g. Read-to-Me kids books) or magazine (e.g. Conde Nast magazines such as Wired, New Yorker).
    3. You like the free in-store reading feature (1 hour to read any ebook while in-store).
    4. You've got a big collection of locked-down, DRM-encumbered B&N books now.
    4. You like the B&N reader, for whatever reason.

then there's little reason to go back to B&N. I hit a couple of these, so I'm trying 1.4.1 out.

In terms of basic reader functionality, I'd put Aldiko pretty close to B&N's reader, if not ahead on a few points. I like the reader-focused B&N launcher, but it's not enough to keep me on their firmware by itself.

Modman likes this.
  3. Modman

Modman Android Enthusiast
    None

May 31, 2011
    Because of power problem since sd is working fine gonna stay unrooted for now. Can the original 1.2 system do free in store reading? I also realize there's an android nook app.

4. bobstro

bobstro Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 2, 2010
    I believe 1.2 can do free in-store reading. Keep in mind, unless you disable OTA updates, you may wind up on 1.4.1 anyhow!

5. sjcwinter

sjcwinter Lurker
    None

Jan 3, 2012
    Yes, if CWM is on emmc, it cuts into the auto-update process and kicks you out. I was running CM7 from SD, with CWM on internal memory, and this prevented me from updating to 1.4. I tried a couple different ways to get around, but none of them worked. In the end, I decided to just take the last step and fully root my NC to CM7. From what I've read, it would be easier to take it back to B&N stock now and try 1.4 than it would have been to work around what I had before. But so far, I'm happy with CM7 and have no intention of going back to the B&N interface.

Steve