• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is it possible to get rooted apps for free?

Upvote 0
I sincerely hope they aren't looking to steal paid apps for free. If they are, they need to go back in time to about 5 years ago when it was all Palm and Blackberry and apps were like $25 each. With app prices what they are now, I'm in heaven. Even some ported Palm apps that are now available for Android are still like 1/3 the Palm app price. Come on...now we're usually talking like $1.99. If you won't pay that for a useful app, then I don't know how the heck your afforded a typically $200+ phone, not to mention at least $60 a month for phone service.

Pony up on some $ for the apps -- where's the love for the devs? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Interestingly a few popular paid apps have free root versions (like MyBackup). I really like that about Android - you get rewarded for rooting :)

I just wish I'd have figured that out before I rooted and paid for MBP. And I also wish I'd figured that out after I rooted and before I paid for TB. :eek:

Oh well, they both went to a good cause... Love this developer, entrepreneurial, capitalistic market! Keep up the good work guys and gals!

Upvote 0
Is Titanium backup pro worth buying for the freeze option? I was reading in the rooting guide for dummies that uninstalling things can mess it up if you download roms or something like that.

that depends on what you want to do. the freeze option for unistalling really just goes for system apps that came with your phone that you are unsure about. you can freeze them and see if it causes any issues, if not you know its safe to remove. it can also be used to try and diagnosis conflicts. is it worth buying just for this option, I would say no. you can search and find a list of apps that are safe to remove, sorry I don't have any links to help you out. also most custom roms out there will have sprint bloatware already removed, so no real need for it. also I have read about people not being able to get things to working on their phone only to find out they froze it for some reason not realizing what it does. I fell freezing is a bad way to start until you know a little more about what you are doing.

if you are just starting out with root, I would just use the free versions to get started. you can download mybackup free to make a backup before root and then try out titanium back up free once you are rooted, if your not already rooted that is. I ended up buying both and prefer titanium back up.

if you just want to root and install a custom rom the paid version of titanium is not needed. the free will only let you re-install one app at a time, but this is fine your your first rom install. if you decide to flash many roms, like most of us, then I would suggest buying the pro version.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones