1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Is it possible to have two phones (one active at any time) with the same number ?

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by thenomad, Feb 23, 2011.

1. thenomad

thenomad Member
    None

Dec 28, 2010
    Male
    UNIX Engineer
    City of Angels
    I am on Verizon and just purchased a subsidized Motorola Droid 2 Global and have very close to 2 years left on my contract.

As anyone here most probably knows, rooting Motorola Phones is (to the best of my knowledge) is impossible, short of bricking them in few minutes after rooting them.

I found myself in more than few times, in need of a rooted application. The only reason I went with Droid 2 Global is to be able to carry the phone with me when I am on the other side of Atlantic, i.e., in Europe, which is at least a twice yearly thing for me. But more I get into the Android scene, more I feel that I made the wrong decision. I do not want to lose my Global phone but at the same time, I'd like to be able to have another phone, which I can root without bricking it. But at the same time, I want to be able to switch back to my global phone when the need be.

Is anyone able to switch between two phones using Verizon, without having them registered in a family plan with another number and another monthly charge ? If yes, how ?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. mdram

mdram Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 16, 2010
    Engineer
    Maryland
    it really shouldnt be a problem as long as you pay full price, get from ebay, ect for the second phone
    just go into your account and put the new esn in and active the other phone.

3. scorp64va

scorp64va Member
    None

Jan 11, 2011
    Virginia
    Don't know what makes you think that rooting a Motorola phone will brick it. There are a lot of folks here with rooted Motorolas and having no problems. Google z4root and you're all set.

4. mdram

mdram Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 16, 2010
    Engineer
    Maryland
    z4root does not always work now, they did an update a few months ago to the motorolas that blocked it

5. scorp64va

scorp64va Member
    None

Jan 11, 2011
    Virginia
    z4root works just fine even after the update. It may hang the first time but just reboot the phone and try again, at least on the Droid2. Might need to redownload z4root as there may have been an update. The last D2 update came out right after I got mine. Got z4root last month and use it with no problems.

6. Dakota - Tom

Dakota - Tom Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 17, 2010
    MN
    I don't know about rooting, but you can certainly switch phones back and forth with no problem. Your contract only requires that you keep the line active for 2 years; VZW doesn't care what handset you use (so long as it is one of theirs).

7. thenomad

thenomad Member
    None

Dec 28, 2010
    Male
    UNIX Engineer
    City of Angels
    Thanks for the responses so far. About the Motorola Bricking, I read and heard form more than one tech-savvy source that, Motorola has embedded a hardware fuse in the phone circuit and when it detects a non-original (i.e. rooted or modified in any way shape or form) ROM image running, the phone blows this fuse and rendering itself useless, short of sending it back to them and get it "repaired" for a fee. Hence, not willing to part with a ~ $400 for full price purchasing of another one of these droid 2 global phones, I'd like to play it safe and buy an HTC from some upgrader at a discount (say about ~$150 or even cheaper)

Is what I heard have no truth and it is just F-U-D ?

8. mdram

mdram Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 16, 2010
    Engineer
    Maryland
  9. scorp64va

scorp64va Member
    None

Jan 11, 2011
    Virginia
    Haven't heard that before but I don't follow things about the global version of the D2 as closely as the D2 itself. There are several replacement ROMs out for the D2 and at least one for the global. Doesn't seem like those could even be developed if they bricked every phone they were put on.

10. Lars

Lars Android Expert
    None

Dial *228 option 1 and you can swap phones all you want. I do it on my bricked moto all the time lol.

11. Dakota - Tom

Dakota - Tom Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 17, 2010
    MN
    You mean option 3.

12. Scooter70

Scooter70 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 11, 2010
    I rooted my wife's D2G last week using z4root. My DroidX is running ApeX, which is a custom ROM. The e-fuse myth was debunked months ago. With all of the information on this forum and xda, it's almost impossible to actually brick a Moto Android phone. As long as you don't pull the cord while you're flashing an sbf, there's almost always a way to get it back to life.

13. Knewz

Knewz Android Expert
    None

Oct 22, 2010
    Tech
    Georgia
    Using your myverizon account, you can switch between phones quickly with ease.

14. Lars

Lars Android Expert
    None

Previously I would turn off the existing phone and dial *228 1 to program on the new one and type in my MIN/MDM. Haven't tried option 3. Maybe it's better.

15. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Android Enthusiast
    None

May 1, 2010
    texas
    holy cow motorola phones brick upon rooting...
    So who made this D1 laying here beside me...
    Surely I read the OP wrong......
    It's never bricked.....
    must be HTC with moto logo stamped on it, Verizon sold me a knock-off I suppose. It just looks so darn close to the Original MOTOROLA droid to me....

idiots.. sorry
    but idiots must be the only answer...

16. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Android Enthusiast
    None

May 1, 2010
    texas
    tech-savvy source = idiots
    let me guess they had a name tag on with a nice little red v splash logo?

come to the real geniuses this forum, DF or XDA...
    Never listen to the guys in RED.... LMFAO

17. Lars

Lars Android Expert
    None

BTW if you want two phones to ring on the same number, you could get a google voice number and point them to two phones or more.

I think Metro PCS has a way to have multiple phones on the same number MetroPCS | GroupLINE